Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Climbing Mt. Everest in sneakers and shorts: My attempt at going pro

decafpanda

Good luck with your goals!.

Personally though I really wouldn't worry so much about views, plays, and your ratings.  I mean, it is human nature to want to have a high ratings and tons of plays but reading your journal, it seems as if it really affects the way you develop your games.

Even above you are talking about cutting the polishing and testing short to rush the gsme out because of trying g to upgrade a game vs starting a new engine.  Why not relax and just start over with a new engine?    Sure you will miss out on squeezing a game out  fast that will gain you views but is that really important?

Even if you get a million views like you want, it still won't gain a huge amount of money.

I don't know, I feel like focusing on a quality product and harnessing your development skills, in the end, will gain you more money.  You will gain a better fan base and in time, the quality of your games will have the longevity to sustain views over long periods of time.  Even if you don't end up making AS much money, at least you will have your artistic integrity.

Look at Outsourced Hell.  The game has gotten some nice views but it clearly had a bunch of stuff missing from the beginning.  You stuck with it and gave the player's what they wanted with a good amount if updates, which is awesome, but you even said yourself that you were not going to add upgrades  unless the game got good views.  I feel like that kind of a strategy might bite you in the ass going forward.

You have proven that you know what makes a good idle game. Which is awesome!  Idle games are really popular.  It would be a shame for you to rush out this current game and make a "mad scrambled" the first few weeks the game is released to patch up a rushed product.

This of course is just my opinion.   GOOD LUCK!#

KramerGames

Thanks a lot, your post made me stop and think, and it really was time for that. I tend to become a bit too obsessed with things and lose focus, I've been noticing the past week that I always plan to go cycling or for a walk and end up in front of my laptop until it is dark. While trying to finish up my game ASAP I was thinking about squeezing in a game jam and learn a new software (spriter), though I put at least the game jam on hold now.

However, I think I shouldn't focus too much on detail or one game because I am not capable of making a high quality game yet and gaining experience is more important. With my first game I focused way too much on details, ultimately wasting a lot of time. I guess the key is balance and I was about to fall over the edge on the other side, so thanks again for your input!
Parasites United  (Idle Parasite Game)

KramerGames

It's done! My newest game Parasites United 2 has been released. I gathered the criticism from the original one and tried to incorporate as much as possible, making the game easier to navigate and diversified it. I also put in some extra time to test the game for bugs, which was good because I've found several big ones... (thanks decafpanda, if you're reading this :-) ).

I wanted to make a tutorial video on youtube but turns out that the thing in the corner of my room that I had always assumed to be a headset are only headphones, and the mic on my laptop sucks badly. Meanwhile I hope the ingame tutorial will be enough for most people to understand the game as it isn't that complicated anyway.

On a different side note, I am now on Patreon. I really like the idea of people supporting art and creation with whatever amount they think is right, that way the creator doesn't have to worry about appealing the biggest audience possible (=produce crap). Furthermore, I have been reading a bit about building an audience, and apparently Twitter and Facebook aren't that great. Everyone is using it and the attention you get is minimal. With Patreon my audience will be smaller but the relationship will be a lot more intensive. I am going to use the Patreon page as my blog now and direct all traffic towards it.
If I get a decent amount of donations remains to be seen, I've been watching other game creators and those numbers are not too encouraging. I have chosen very generous wards though and will try to make regular and interesting posts.

Here is the game link: http://www.kongregate.com/games/BambooHutGames/parasites-united-2

And of course the Patreon link :-) : https://www.patreon.com/BambooHutGames

decafpanda

Hey good luck with the new release.  5/5 stars from me

Threw you a buck on Patreon too :)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 05:57:35 pm by decafpanda »

KramerGames

Thank you very much!

merrak

New version is pretty cool :)

I ran into a bug in room 6, though. It wouldn't let me into the next room ("You must defeat all the cells first"), but I did defeat them all. The last cell in the room started out empty, though, so I never had the chance to fight it.

merrak

Here's an example of what I mean. That last cell started as open, even though the ones before it haven't been defeated yet. This time it is in Room 7

KramerGames

Hi, thanks for that. Kinda strange that this happened, it was working fine but I may have mixed in an older version. Should be fixed now.

TheIndieStation

This topic is amazing to read, and got me thinking about doing the same... Great stuff to read and learn from. Keep up the good work you all!

merrak

I'd hate to say this because I know you put a lot of work into the game, and it shows, but I've played the second version for a while now and come to the conclusion I liked the original game better.

I do like the new version, though. For one, the UI changes make it easier to play. And while losing every upgrade when resetting the original game didn't bother me, I do like keeping upgrades to the master nest.

But the original game seemed to have more character. The art and idea was fresh, and it had more humorous touches (like the drumpf nests). The little touches suggest you had more enthusiasm when working on the original game. The balance in the original game felt better (except for the last room). The complexity also seemed better. For example, the different attack types in the new version is a neat idea, but they don't seem to matter at all... so it's an unnecessary complication.

I also keep running into bugs, most of which have been pointed out in the Kongregate comments. Overall I enjoyed the game... but I think you tried to take on too many ideas without exploring any particular one to enough depth. As a result, the balance feels way off and the game feels incomplete.

KramerGames

Just yesterday I posted in another thread that I should be seeking feedback more actively, so posts like yours are always appreciated, thanks.

When I read your post I thought you should become a Game Developer Psychologist: People show you their game, and you tell them what's wrong in their head. Just yesterday when I went to sleep (after it had become clear that this game will be less successful than my previous ones) I came to the conclusion that my heart wasn't in it and that's why the game is what it is. If decafpanda hadn't given me a lecture I would have spent even less time on finishing up, but as it turns out, it was not enough.
I was so excited about my next game that my thoughts and heart were already with that one before finishing Parasites United 2, probably even from the very beginning. The moment I uploaded the game I started the next project file in Stencyl.

From now on I'm going to look at my game ideas and ask myself which of these I would like to play the most, and then go ahead and make that game. Obviously I will still take into consideration how much work it will take to not repeat my mistakes from the beginning, but I'm getting better at Stencyl and my cost of living is still 200$ a month, so I should play that joker.

Since the next one will be a bigger project I want to make another change, and I know you can relate to that as a writer, is finishing the game, let it rest for a while and play it with fresh eyes. The first draft of anything is shit, as Hemingway said (I looked it up because I always suspected it to be a false quote, but turns out it's genuine). It will be freaking hard to restrain myself from publishing, but I'll remind myself how much better that will be for my career.

merrak

Since the next one will be a bigger project I want to make another change, and I know you can relate to that as a writer, is finishing the game, let it rest for a while and play it with fresh eyes. The first draft of anything is shit, as Hemingway said (I looked it up because I always suspected it to be a false quote, but turns out it's genuine). It will be freaking hard to restrain myself from publishing, but I'll remind myself how much better that will be for my career.

I think that's pretty solid advice for anyone. I run into the same problems myself, especially for longer projects when I'm just ready to be done and move on to something else.

Bombini

I feel similar. I usually take a break when i feel frustrated from a game project. I wont touch it for 2-3 weeks if i can afford it and will play it with fresh eyes as you described. It is usually a big difference and you loose that tunnel view you get after a while. Same for levels. I rather do 10 first drafts and let them rest. Play them. Iterate and so on instead of trying to build one perfect one.

Cheers!

ceosol

It is a little different when you are trying to do this for a living. Most of the people commenting and giving advice have full time jobs and do gamedev as a hobby (sorry if I am mistaken on that).  When you need to be able to pay rent or eat each month, you do not have the luxury of taking long breaks on a game. Unless you have your own funding source, you do not have the luxury to spend 6 months on a game, either.

I think you need to think about business in addition to "making something that you love". After all, the business side is what allows you to keep making games for another month.

squeeb

It is a little different when you are trying to do this for a living. Most of the people commenting and giving advice have full time jobs and do gamedev as a hobby (sorry if I am mistaken on that).  When you need to be able to pay rent or eat each month, you do not have the luxury of taking long breaks on a game. Unless you have your own funding source, you do not have the luxury to spend 6 months on a game, either.

I think you need to think about business in addition to "making something that you love". After all, the business side is what allows you to keep making games for another month.
I agree.  I have a full time job to pay the bills and I do game dev as a second source of income and one day will be my only source ... I used to crank out cookie cutter live wallpapers and made good money.. when I switched to games and taking more time  on them.. the income went down.. but the fun went up... I hate that 60 cookie cutter live wallpapers pay more than a couple of decent apps or games do