Soccer Heads (on iOS and soon Android)

ceosol

Introducing
Soccer Heads

Pick your head and go!

Soccer Heads (or Headz) is a fast paced arcade style sports game. It is perfect for when you have a minute to kill. If you feel like spending more time, you can get through a season in around 30 minutes.

Some features include:
- Randomized league standings, so you never know how your opponents will fair.
- Four free heads to choose from... for now... while you face off against eight opponent heads.
- Matches that last 60 seconds or the first to 7 points.
- Random powerups that affect the ball's bounciness, your speed, your size, and more!

You can download the free version with a popup ad every two matches:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/soccer-headz-free/id1109201485?ls=1&mt=8
or the $0.99 ad-free version:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/soccer-headz/id1109141927?ls=1&mt=8

===========================================================

Soccer Heads was very interesting to develop. We knew from the start that we were going to optimize for iphone 5/6/6+. However, the initial prototype was made in a 1.3 aspect ratio instead of 1.75 (for the iphones). The prototype was quick and challenging. When the field was stretched to match the new size, suddenly it became incredibly easy to trounce your opponent. No matter what I did adjusting the physics, it was almost impossible to lose.

So what we finally decided on was keeping the field in the original 1.3 aspect ratio and covering the rest of the screen with the stadium tiles. This worked on in the end because the joystick and kick button now cover the stadium instead of blocking the player's view of the field.

One neat mechanic is the ball-player interaction. I wanted the player to give an explosive push to the ball, while still allowing the ball to get past (in some cases). The ball collides with tiles and goal posts with regular bounces. However, the ball-player interaction is a sensor that pushes the ball away instead of bouncing it. The ball-foot interaction is also a sensor that pushing the ball away at a +90 degree angle from the contact point. Having the ball-player be a sensor, it allows the players to be head-to-head, while kicking the ball upwards through both of the players with the foot. If neither the player or AI kick in that instance, I have a 3 second timer that pushes them backwards and tosses the ball into the air.

Feel free to ask any questions. We will be updating the game with a shop screen to buy new heads (vampire, animals, ninja, etc.). If I stop being so lazy, I will also work on real-time or near real time online multiplayer. The online multiplayer will be in the distant future :)

colburt187

Well done on finishing and releasing a game, always a good achievement. This is going to be a tough sell, the head sports games have been around for a while and head soccer(your main competitor)  even has some license players in it.

Sadly I didn't really enjoy the experience of this game. I find the art a bit all over the place and the control scheme quite tricky. I would have replaced the joystick with left and right buttons and put a jump next to the kick.

I like the league concept, With more pleasant art and better controls this would be the sort of game that I would play. Im actually messing around with a football prototype myself but also having trouble with the AI.

ceosol

That is good feedback. We want to have the option to choose joystick or control-pad style. The problem stemmed from the artist's delays. I actually got the artwork on April 28th and we had an April 30th deadline for Apple submission. I did what I could in an incredibly short amount of time :)

bobbyck

have you done multiplayer before for mobile games?

is it through a stencyl extension, and if so, is it easy to implement?

ceosol

have you done multiplayer before for mobile games?

is it through a stencyl extension, and if so, is it easy to implement?

I have done multiplayer on 4 or 5 of my own projects. What I have was done by me - I don't use extensions since I don't know how to make them myself. However, real-time is  out of my reach right now until I learn more.

And no, multiplayer is never easy no matter what you are doing :)