Stencyl, Flash, HTML5, Android and the future

deatherr1

Also Jon I know for the IOS version it has a system for (Normal Graphics) and then the 2x one's for the retina display. However for android will there be anything like that? There really needs to be it is more important than on IOS there is alot of diffrent resolutions on Android phones from everything to 320 x 240 pixels to 720 x 1280 (720p) Which is bigger then the iphones / ipod touch / retina display. So how will this be sorted?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:36:09 am by deatherr1 »

Jon

You deploy to a small set of standard formats (Phone, Tablet), and it scales to meet the actual resolution if it doesn't match the basic resolution.

Although there are many resolutions, the majority of them fall under about 3 formats: 480 x 320, 800 x 480, 1024 x 600.

This way, you can develop the same game for iOS and won't have to change much if anything to export to Android.

Rhys

So if you made a game for iPad, it would scale to pretty much all of the resolutions? What about different aspect ratios, crop or fit?

Jon

Android generally letter boxes after scaling and finding that it's not an exact fit. So nothing will ever be cropped out.

Darkhog

OK, but how about HTML5? I assume Droid port will be paid, like iStencyl, but how about HTML5? free+splash (like in flash) or paid?

There are no impossible things. There is only lack of skills.
Don't click this if your computer has less than 641 kilobytes of RAM.
Stencyl stencyling stencylish stencylers :D

Jon

Likely the same deal as Flash - free with branding and a paid option with no branding.

For mobile, it'll be free to test locally (on computer or device), paid to publish to the store.

There will be discounts for buying multiple platforms at once. We expect that many will opt for 2 on average because the deal's pretty sweet.

Fredrik

Am I correct in assuming that the only way to scale for different displays on android with Stencyl will be to letterbox? There won't be a "zoomEven" mode (like Corona SDK) for example that zooms in so the whole picture is filled, but it cuts off a small part of the image instead?

Another thing: Will android scale the game both up and down? If I for example make the image assets in my game for 800 x 480, how will an android phone with a resolution of 480 x 320 run the game? Scale it down just as it can scale up for higher resolutions?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:33:47 pm by Fredrik »

Jon

We'll let you letterbox or opt to use the full-size the of the screen. The forced 100% view sounds interesting - is this desirable though? It seems like just allowing full-size and dealing with the consequences is more flexible.

Fredrik

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "opt to use the full-size of the screen" Maybe it's the same thing I was talking about, I didn't mean that you could squeeze/stretch the image so it would fit in the display.

Jon

Hmm, my fatigue got the better of me, and I answered a completely different question that's related to what I've been talking to with Pro users but not Android. I'll get back to you later on this after thinking about it more.

Jon

Am I correct in assuming that the only way to scale for different displays on android with Stencyl will be to letterbox? There won't be a "zoomEven" mode (like Corona SDK) for example that zooms in so the whole picture is filled, but it cuts off a small part of the image instead?

We'll support letterboxing initially and other modes like a fit to screen and a forced 100% as need dictates. I work quickly to support what's needed most at the time.

For example, in-app purchases are atop the list of needs, and it's been implemented and is under testing by Pro subscribers.

Another thing: Will android scale the game both up and down? If I for example make the image assets in my game for 800 x 480, how will an android phone with a resolution of 480 x 320 run the game? Scale it down just as it can scale up for higher resolutions?

The way our system works right now is that you import graphics at double-resolution (retina), and we generate a standard-resolution set on the fly. In this case, we'd initially only support a scale up, but I could see a scaling down working if we rendered the game say, at a theoretical 960 x 640 like we would for an Apple retina device and then downscale it to 720 x 480, so you get a crisper image.

DoctorMikeReddy

Do we have a rough idea of when HTML5 export will be available?

Joe

http://www.stencyl.com/stencylworks/roadmap/

Later on this year -- maybe a lot sooner depending on the status of the underlying technology we're using.

bergapappa

Do we have a rough idea of when Android export will be available?

LDeathnote

Dying with anticipation for the Android exporter!! :-\ HTML5 shall be interesting. :)