Space Race Run

ceosol

Instead of spamming the art threads, I'll just start on a dev journal. I won't go into all of the mechanics as it is for a client, however I will provide updates about my progress.

This job has a 5 month deadline. I am used to having 2-4 weeks, so this is definitely a new experience for me. There is no budget for artwork, so we are relying on me and my single light point 3D models for everything. So far, I have made a few backgrounds for the scenes. You can find them in the non-pixel-art thread.

Attached are two versions of a planet. The first, I just wrapped a sphere in some crappy drawing I made. It looks OK, but I didn't want it to appear so "flat". The second picture is after adding a sedimentation texture.

ceosol

And here is putting together a few of the current backgrounds together for the title screen.

khanghy2130

3d art in a 2d game? Great art! It reminds me of a game, Platypus.  That game has great art too, take a look.

merrak

I'm liking the art--it has a claymation feel to it.

ceosol

Here are a couple more planets I was working on.

3d art in a 2d game? Great art! It reminds me of a game, Platypus.  That game has great art too, take a look.
I know how to sketch with paper/pencil, but I am not a very good digital artist. I absolutely suck at pixelart.

I'm liking the art--it has a claymation feel to it.
Hurray! I've caught up to game artwork from 25 years ago :D

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 01:28:29 pm by ceosol »

merrak

Here are a couple more planets I was working on.

They don't seem to have the same vibe to them--but maybe that's just because you have them set against an all-black background

ceosol

This is a little bit closer to the finalized title screen. I blended the two new planets to be more in the background.

ceosol

I'm not really liking the blackhole so far. I'll have to think about that one some more.

ceosol

This one looks much better. I used an actual object so light would bend better around it.

xplosion28

What is the triangle with white transparency on top used for?  I'm not sure if that is enhancing the black hole in my opinion.

ceosol

From what I understand, black holes slow down (or bend) time as you get closer to the singularity. Since they can also suck in light, it can look like light is shooting out of them, it would get brighter and denser closer to the center because we (as in an observer) would see all of the light overlapping infinitely.

ceosol

There's supposed to be a transition in the middle of a stage where you enter a black hole. The client liked a meteor I have in one of the original backgrounds and wanted it to be included with the blackhole transition. Here's what I came up with.

ceosol

Once the blackhole reaches the center of the screen, the ship readjusts its position as it spirals into the center. After the meteor zooms off screen (as in the gif), a planet slides into place. This signals the next part of the race - running on the planet's surface.

ceosol

So the client wants the black hole to appear instead of floating in. No biggie :)

I wanted to work some on the running artwork. After you land on the planet, it is going to be a mad-dash to the finish. I think I need the arms to be flailing more.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9x38m8dy6vnfckk/output_3D7CLe.gif?dl=0

ceosol

I made a little flying saucer for the opponent at the beginning portion of the race.