Space Race Run

ceosol

Here are a couple gifs that I just finished. The coins are collectibles for buying new ships/colors/etc in the shop. The mines are one of the attacks that the enemy ship will have. I might need to recolor the mine if it blends in too much with the background.

LadyLala

Alrighty, complete overhaul of the entire game #4 :D

What are the controls? When I use the right arrow key, the ship movement is so slow, it quickly slides off the left side of the screen out of view.

This looks like it has the potential to be fun!

ceosol

What are the controls?

The joystick. It is made for mobile.

LadyLala

What are the controls?

The joystick. It is made for mobile.

No wonder I wasn't getting anything out of it! Here I am banging on my keyboard...

ceosol

The way the joystick is set up, if it is not moving, up/down/left/right are released. That's why it did a tiny bit of motion, you would press the key and then it would be immediately released.

ceosol

What are the controls?

Scratch my responses on controls because guess what, the client changed his mind AGAIN... hooray. Now it is going to be touch based without any forward or backwards flight. The fuel is going to be static (even though he specifically requested that it be moving in a circle). And the speed is going to be double as fast (even though it was going faster than what he requested).

KramerGames

I just read the chapter in "Level Up!" about the three C's you should never change once you begin production. It was Character, Camera and guess what else :-) . ...maybe send your client the book?

Interesting to see though what bumps come up during contracting work.
Parasites United  (Idle Parasite Game)

ceosol

I just told him that he is getting cut off on revisions. Since he is refusing is give me a clear design document, I sent my own GDD version to him with all of the random information he has said over the past two months. If he wants any changes to that, he'll need to pay more money. I hope he doesn't pay more because I cringe at the thought of working another month on this :)

LadyLala

Scratch my responses on controls because guess what, the client changed his mind AGAIN... hooray. Now it is going to be touch based without any forward or backwards flight. The fuel is going to be static (even though he specifically requested that it be moving in a circle). And the speed is going to be double as fast (even though it was going faster than what he requested).

Yeah, I'm a web developer professionally - I never start development or production until all design documents (mockups) are approved. It helps mitigate the last-minute revisions (although there are always some minor tweaks that get requested, it's usually never anything big - usually minor copy changes).

After a lot of experience working with clients, I have to say, getting the concept right (and on paper with written approval) before you start is the best way to keep the price low and the frustration down. Limiting revision rounds in the contract is helpful too, it gives you a legal basis to charge extra if they exceed that number of revisions.

Next time, try a storyboard signoff requirement - you won't start any real production until that happens.

I hope you have an easier time going forward, and I look forward to the next version. It was pretty fun once I used the joystick instead - although no meteors did damage on collision (probably something you're still working on - I get it, no worries), so I felt like a superhero with some crazy force field.  I kept saying as I passed by them unscathed, "Take that, you lazy asteroid!"

LadyLala

I might need to recolor the mine if it blends in too much with the background.

You could also just give it a glowy background element to help with the contrast.

ceosol

I was really close to cancelling the contract, but he pleaded with me to stay. I'm too much of a softy when it come to contracts :P

Anyway, here are 3 new ship designs. The 3rd one was meant to be close to Galaga.

ceosol

Here are a couple more ships. Before anybody comments on how they look, I do not think they look good. I did multiple versions and these are the ones the client chose. I'm not really sure why one of the ships is just a silhouette, but he absolutely wanted it to look like that. :)

You could also just give it a glowy background element to help with the contrast.

I did that and you can actually see the mines now. Thanks for the suggestion!

ceosol

I thought about it long and hard. I finally just took the plunge and flat out cancelled the contract. The client has been nice over the past few weeks and hasn't been changing a lot of stuff anymore. However, from the previous changes, there was still at least 2-3 months of work left. When I was I thinking about still doing this project a few months from now and basically working for peanuts, I cringed.... And I mean literally I was down to ~$1/hour since it was a fixed price.

Instead of letting that rate get even worse, I figured cutting my losses would be better in the long run :)

Crovaxus17

Sorry to hear that. I really like the slick 3D assets--I hope you get a chance to use them in something :)