Jacbil Gobbet

ceosol

It might be a little hard to implement, but I'm a pretty big fan of the crafting system in Craft the World. The workbench shows a template of what's needed for each craftable item - then you can add the required items if you have them. You can find videos online.

That is a really good idea. It could use a list of possible crafts links to keys of a map telling how many of each resource is needed.

xplosion28

Actually never heard of Craft the World until you mentioned it OGMG but the game looks very cool in my opinion.  The crafting that way would be similar to Minecraft but give the players the knowledge of how to build everything right off the bat which is nice.  This would also be simpler to recreate so I'll give it a go!:)

Hectate

I agree with Justin. For a certain time, Minecraft's crafting system was part of the mystery of the world. You'd explore, discover, and learn how to survive - the mystery of "What can I craft with this and how?" was part of that. Minecraft crafting in it's modern format, however, is unnecessarily obtuse. Console versions give the recipes to you (because who wants to place up to 9 components in a grid with a controller) for example.
Something more like WoW where you learn how to make something and then you just make it if you have the components is more do-able.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

xplosion28

I'm not so worried about the do-able part, I'm more concerned with what every ones preferences are.  If I can come up with a crafting system that the majority of people reading this post enjoy, that will hopefully translate to the majority of players that play this game will enjoy them too.  I was just worried that a list based crafting system, just requiring a certain amount of resources would bore the user.

letmethink

I like the way that it is done using terraria, in that you only discover crafting recipes once you have discovered all the items needed to craft it.
~Letmethink

xplosion28

I like the way that it is done using terraria, in that you only discover crafting recipes once you have discovered all the items needed to craft it.
I could definitely implement that letmethink.

Just released a new version for Minecraft Ceosol the map is now much longer (180 tiles instead of 60) as well as shorter (20 tiles instead of 60).  This is due to not being able to create a map the size I want, without making the game that loads in chunks like Minecraft.  Therefore instead I'm making different scenes of different sizes all lower than 4000 tiles total, with each scene containing a different ecosystems or biomes (different tiles).  For example, the  first biome just contains dirt, stone, trees and branches.  While biome 2 is going to be made underneath biome 1 and contain all kinds of different ores such as copper, iron, gold and diamond as well as stone but this scene will be 60 tiles by 60 tiles.

I added a inventory system, that separates resource blocks from tools in different tabs.  To open and exit the inventory press "i", opening the inventory will pause the game.

The crafting system I decided to add was list based, you will go to the tool tab click which tool you want and it will give you information about the item in the gray box.  The awkward button to the right of the information will craft the item you have selected if you have the required resources.  There are only 2 tools that can be created right now, the mud axe allows the user to cut down branches.  The makeshift axe allows the user to cut down the trees.  So as of right now you will be unable to mine the stone.

The UI is all temporary as I was just making the placeholders for now while making the mechanics work the way I want. 

xplosion28

Update
-Added simple physics which tremendously improved the performance (Thanks letmethink).

-I have created 3 different scenes (Biome 1, Biome 2, and the Home scene).  Biome 1 contains all the first tier resources dirt, trees, stone, Biome 2 is found underneath Biome 1 and acts like a cave.  It was ore deposits such as copper, gold, iron and diamond, to leave biome 2 you will need a coffin to teleport back to your house (the coffin will make more sense in later stages of the game).
Finally the house scene is located to the left of Biome 1, where the player will be able to place blocks down and create their own personalized home.

-Press "i" to open the inventory, I changed the text and GUI a little bit.

-There are 11 items you can create in the tool tab so far.  The only placeable block is the Workshop, I haven't created the blocks for the forge and smelter yet.

-I implemented a feature that only lets the player hold 100 items so they can't just collect the whole scenes resources.  That being said sometimes you will need to drop some things, in order to make space for other stuff.  There is a trash can that you can click to "drop" (destroy) resources individually.

Try it out and comment any bugs you find or suggestions you may have!
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/34414

merrak

The conversion to simple physics fixed the problem I was having getting stuck on corners, which makes moving around much easier :) I managed to dig my way into the cave.

I'm not sure if the 100 item limit will be such a great addition or not. One thing to consider is that since you have one less dimension, the number of resources the player can reach is more limited than in the original game. I barely got enough branches to make the next tool. The player can't jump very high, and if I had thrown out just a few more branches I would not have been able to reach enough to make it further into the game.

I think the 2D environment is too limited to make an open sandbox type game... unless you stray further from the original Minecraft. On the other hand, I can easily see having separate scenarios and building puzzles--similar to Bad Piggies, but with structures and building/mining related goals instead of vehicles.

ceosol

I'm not sure if the 100 item limit will be such a great addition or not.

That's why you go home and drop off your stuff :)

xplosion28

The 100 inventory limit will stop players from going into a scene and just clearing every tile for the resources, as it wouldn't take very long to do.

I understand the resources might have a limit (for now).  However the only resources that are really limited right now are the trees and branches, which I intend on making a forest Biome that contains plenty in a scene to the right of where the player begins.  To also replenish the trees I'm going to add a seed that can either be found when collecting branches, or it will be crafting from a couple branches allowing the user to plant it and spawn a tree after a certain amount of time.  This extra features should fix the limited resources in respect to wood and branches. 

There probably will be other limitations to the ores found in the cave, however to fix this I will most likely add a scene that will always be randomly generated when the player enters (meaning it won't save) and the player could enter it from exiting either side of the cave biome.  Giving unlimited amounts of each resource in the cave.

As for reaching higher places, the player will be able to craft placeable blocks, but rather than putting down a tile you just gathered, the player will have to put together 5 of the same resource to make a compact block (ex. 5 stone = 1 compact stone).

xplosion28

Finally added placeable blocks.  Allowing the player to design their own, very basic house.

The placeable blocks include:
-Lumber: Used for walls in your house.
-Lumber Background: A tile without a collision box allowing it to act as a background for your house.
-Placeable Stone: Can be placed in any biome to allow the player to move around better as well as used for house walls.
-Stone Background: Same as the lumber background but with a stone appearance.

I made my own basic house which I have attached below:)  Feel free to make your own and share it on here, I'd love to see it!

Still need to do
-Wood is a very limited resource so I need to figure out a good way to make it less limited (seeds, new biome)
-I need to add a more friendly user system to place different blocks easier.  As of right now you have to go into the inventory and select the block you want to place, when you want to use a different block you have to go back in the inventory and select the new block you want to use.  I may try to add a map that allows the user to assign blocks to their numbers for easier access.

xplosion28

Created a quick trailer for people to see the basic mechanics so far!  Hope you enjoy it:)

https://youtu.be/BKxJVqdSAcA

merrak

Works pretty well :) I made a forge/workshop. It'd be nice to have something like a ladder so I can reach those higher spots.

xplosion28

Yeah I will be making a ladder soon, as well as some decoration pieces that can be added to make it a little less bland.

Glad to see someone made something though:)

ceosol

Really nice progress. I like seeing the video of the house being created. :)