Jacbil Gobbet

xplosion28

Glad you enjoyed it!

Just added tile animations so that now it requires hitting some blocks more than once to destroy them.  For example, dirt has 2 animations while stone or ores have 3.  I figured branches were a pain to gather as it is so they still only have one animation.

xplosion28

Update:
Added torches and a ladder mostly for decoration purposes to make the house look less bland.  The ladder works and but the torch is purely decorative, later on I'm going to add an animation to the torch to give a better visual and some movement in the scene.

I made another little video to showcase the building and updates.  Great feeling when you love playing your own game and have the freedom to add whatever you want, which is why I'm releasing so many videos.  I've always loved the creative side of games that allow you to make what you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrAUCXBMQnQ

ceosol

xplosion28

Update
-I've now added tree seeds that can be randomly gathered when you collect branches.  These seeds can be planted on top of dirt blocks to spawn trees after 60 seconds.  This should eliminate the limited tree resources.
-I've also added a similar function to what Minecraft has, a bar at the bottom of the screen that you can put placeable blocks on for easier access, rather than selecting each one manually in the inventory every time.  To use the separate blocks you would just have press the number corresponding to the slot it is in.  For example, if you put a lumber block in the 2nd slot, you would just have to press 2 and the lumber would be selected and able for you to place it as needed.

I'm also looking to add a lot of decoration blocks into the game to personalize the house you build.  If you have any suggestions on what decorations you would like in your house, I would love to hear them!

xplosion28

I've now added a 3D texture to the game, still working out the kinks for when the player creates and destroys tiles (because it also needs to create the "3D" tile if a tile does not exist at the 'column-1' position). 

Matt Cohen is the artist that made this possible, thought it would add depth to the game.  The screen is much darker now, because we have moved into a direction where the player would now play as a "fiend" (vampire, skeleton, werewolf... etc) each of which will have a unique passive ability.  Thus we wanted to add a more eerie feel to the game, still a work in progress though.

ceosol

We started getting a kickstarter campaign together. Here is the preview link if anybody is interested in what we have so far:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ceosol/1150288233?token=7655ae6e

« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 09:01:52 pm by ceosol »

xplosion28

We have decided to name the game Jacbil Gobbet.  Ceosol came up with this clever name as Jacbil is the initials of all the 3 creators of the game, and gobbet is a synonym to notch which is the nickname given to the creator of Minecraft.

I've added classes to the game which include a werewolf, zombie, gnome, vampire and skeleton.  Each of which have their own unique passive ability:
-Werewolf: is able to jump one additional tile higher.
-Zombie: is able to hold an additional 50 items in his inventory.
-Gnome: uses less resources to craft items.
-Vampire: can see in the dark, meaning no visual hindrance when in caves or other dark places.
-Skeleton: isn't weighed down by flesh, so he can run faster.

All tiles now take 0.5 seconds to break, we decided to make each tile take the same amount of time to break.  Rather than making tools speed up or slow down the breaking of tiles, tools are made for the sole purpose of gathering new tiles.  The player can now hold down the spacebar to destroy tiles rather than tediously pressing it a million times:P

Added a zoom out feature in the home scene in order to see your whole house.

I'm going to start making the next ecosystem (either a jungle or mountain ecosystem).  I'm having a hard time deciding what unique tiles to add to these ecosystems, and what those resources could then be made into.  Any suggestions would be appreciated:)

ceosol

Here is Jacbil, by the way. He is helping us make the game :)

ceosol

For mine? Desktop and mobile. Mobile will probably have to wait until later.

Oops-- I meant, is there a Linux port planned?

It would be awesome to do Linux. I have never looked at the steps for exporting to Linux.

detted

Congratulations on your kickstarter success! :D I will be following this very closely now, very exciting!
Composer • Sound designer • Producer
www.tedwennerstrom.com
@TedWennerstrm

thechaosengine

Congrats on reaching your goal! You must be super excited that two people love the project so much that they pledged $250 and $500, that's amazing!

ceosol

Thanks! They (meaning crowdfunding sites) say to launch a kickstarter even if the idea is in the beginning concept stages. However, if I ever do another kickstarter, I will definitely NOT be using placeholder graphics because that seemed to be a huge deterrent.

iii

I saw you mentioned changing the art direction towards metroidvania, in your kickstarter update.
Are you going for a retro metroidvania like Axiom Verge, or more modern look like Ori and the Blind Forest?

And congrats.

ceosol

This is a pixelart game (although I like the look of Ori more than Axiom). I'm going to think about that more. It would be neat to have the Ori style artwork where digging into the ground down not look so flat as it does in pixelart.