Nanashi No Ronin

darrigaz

Hi all!

For the last year and then some I've been working on a samurai sword fighting game. It started out as a narrative driven micro phone game and has since morphed into a gamepad based desktop combat game. I've already done a huge chunk of the features (combat system, save system, types of enemy, general game structure) but I've still got a long way to go so I thought I'd start a journal to help keep myself motivated.

There's a website here (with target art by the very talented Nick Criscuolo)
http://nanashinoronin.blogspot.co.uk/

and you can get more regular updates via my twitter (I try to do screenshotsaturdays and indiedevhour whenever possible).
https://twitter.com/Darrigaz

Crovaxus17

Your game looks fun--fast paced and risky. I like that everything, including the player, seems to die in one hit, which to me matches the samurai aesthetic. I also think the bucket-o-spears that fly off and kill enemies when you hit it is a great idea: adds some of that fun interact-with-the-environment variance.

We are also making a samurai type game, though stylistically very different. Your game has given me some food for thought there.

One critical comment: When enemies and objects die, exploding into blood or fragments (cool death animations, btw, with the collapsing robes), do you think you could tweak it so the death animation does not interfere with the 2.5D pseudo-isometric environment you have going?

darrigaz

Cheers for the kind comments.

Getting the gibs to not stick inside the walls is somewhere on my big list of tasks. Everything's very much placeholder at the moment so its riddled with bugs and art issues like that.

Edit: Huh turned out fixing that was as easy as turning on continuous collision. Nice!

You got any images/a site for your game?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 01:33:23 pm by darrigaz »

Crovaxus17

Cool, glad it was an easy fix. Our game is called 10000 Dragons. We have a journal page on this forum with some images and descriptions of the the game concepts. Cheers :)