Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

10000 Dragons: Action RPG

Crovaxus17

My brother and I have been working on this game for several months now. It is a top-down action RPG, inspired by things like Zelda, Diablo, and Final Fantasy, among other things. We are hoping to get a workflow going where we can release the game in relatively short episodes, with each episode containing new areas, quests, characters, and so on. As you can see from the screen capture below, several of the assets, including the main character, are still stand-ins, but the environment is pretty much done (for Chapter 1, at least, and it is all in very early development, so it could still change).

Since my brother is handling basically all of the artwork, he will be posting most of the concept art, character sprites, etc. My end is game logic, dialogue, and music. Here are the working features the game has so far:

-8 way movement and attacking for the main character
-Enemy AI for charging at the player when he comes within a specifiable distance
-Enemy attack behaviors for both ranged and melee
-Functioning HUD with health bar and mana bar
-Treasure drop system so that enemies can drop randomized gold or other items (player inventory still in the works)
-System for multiple save files
-Hand-painted Sumi-e style backgrounds and environments
-Characters designed using 3D models for smooth animations and crisp camera angles
-Particle effects for weather, fire, blood splatters, etc.
-Original music

UPDATED: September 2016

We finally published a demo! It is on itch.io -- you can find it here:

https://itch.io/embed/72050?linkback=true

It is currently a mac-only app. Sorry! But we are working on getting it going on other platforms.

Here is the most recent trailer:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9a6dIt5CeW8&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9a6dIt5CeW8&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 01:43:07 pm by Crovaxus17 »

ceosol

Looking good so far. A Diablo style 2.5D is on my to-do list. I'll never have time to work on it, so I'll definitely we keeping an eye on yours :)

Crovaxus17

Thanks for your interest, Ceosol. There are a lot of people who seem to be interested in this sort of game, so we are hoping to get the Stencyl community involved as we go for feedback and troubleshooting.

For now, more screenshots  :D

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 07:11:48 am by Crovaxus17 »

Mebbs

Hi,
I'm the brother who's been working on the art for this game, and will be posting some concepts and hopefully completed works to this journal for feedback.
This is one of the first concepts done for the player character. I usually draw samurai-types when I'm bored, so it's good to finally get one of these into a larger work :) hope you like it!!

merrak

This looks pretty cool so far! I like the art style.

Thanks for your interest, Ceosol. There are a lot of people who seem to be interested in this sort of game, so we are hoping to get the Stencyl community involved as we go for feedback and troubleshooting.

For now, more screenshots  :D

If you haven't thought of it already, I would suggest you finalize a plan for depth management before getting too involved in background art. From the screenshots you've shown, it doesn't look like it would be too complex--but you wouldn't want to get all your background art drawn and then realize there is a constraint you need to work around. (Lesson learned the hard way myself :P )

Crovaxus17

Thanks for your input, Merrak. I think I understand what you mean generally, but would you mind elaborating a bit on the specific problems you ran into? What exactly do you mean by "depth management"?

ceosol

Thanks for your input, Merrak. I think I understand what you mean generally, but would you mind elaborating a bit on the specific problems you ran into? What exactly do you mean by "depth management"?

To put merrak's view simply, think of steps. If you go down steps (like in your screen shot), the depth should change. Yes, it is all 2D since Stencyl is a 2D engine, but you should include some alteration to the viewer's perspective when going up and down the steps. Otherwise, don't even bother having the steps because it is a flat terrain.

ceosol

Here's a little bit more information. I have a little 2.5D prototype that I was making: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/33126. The game is isometric, but the world is in two perspectives. The top left shows a flat 2D map. However, the character is walking in a diagonal to give an illusion of distance traveled in a "3D World".

In case you were curious about the prototype. It is testing out creating a 2.5D world wouldn't any physics. The character stops going down because of custom equation stopping him when his feet hit a certain point. The two other parts of the prototype are that it is an infinitely generating dungeon that you can walk back through. It is also all on one screen where the boundary equations change to fit which background is displayed.

merrak

I probably should have been more specific than "depth management". What I meant was the problem of figuring out which actor should be drawn over the other. It's a little tricky in Stencyl. I brought it up because quite a few people are caught off guard by how the z-ordering blocks work.

The more you want to do with the third dimension, the further you'll need to stray from the default 2D scene rendering. At some point you will need to make some compromises in order to have good performance.

It looks like you have a top-down oblique perspective, for which the standard blocks and tools Stencyl provides should work well with. If you want to do something more complex than that, I'd suggest getting a working prototype going before investing too much more time in scene art.

ceosol

Right, z-ordering is a better way to say depth management :)

Crovaxus17

Ah, I see. Yes, we have thought about the z-ordering quite a bit. It is a little tricky to get right, but so far I have been able to accomplish the effect we want by importing each static feature of the scene that would need "depth" as a tileset, then putting the bottom of it on one layer, so the player can be on top of it, then putting the top of that same feature on a higher layer, so the player walks "behind it"--then I just have to arrange the hit boxes of the tiles and the transparency to avoid awkward cover-ups.

To put merrak's view simply, think of steps. If you go down steps (like in your screen shot), the depth should change. Yes, it is all 2D since Stencyl is a 2D engine, but you should include some alteration to the viewer's perspective when going up and down the steps. Otherwise, don't even bother having the steps because it is a flat terrain.

As for your point about changing perspectives, Ceasol, what kind of change do you suggest? And how would you best accomplish it in a "top-down" environment? So far, we are trying to accomplish the illusion of depth simply by painting the scenes carefully so that the illusion isn't broken at any given moment--we assume that the camera will only ever have a small portion of the scene under it, and paint the scene as best we can so that each camera-sized portion looks "right".

And I found your prototype interesting. Quick question: is that sprite doing 8 way animations, or is it more than that?

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts.

ceosol

8 way, I made it for a ludum dare, so no time for 16 way or more :D

Just a thought on steps... I would have them all on an angle instead of vertical or horizontal. You could have a region or just use an equation (x>beginning of steps and x<end of steps). When the region/equation is triggers, change the angle of movement slightly to indicate to the player that character is moving to a new depth in the perspective.

Crovaxus17

Here is a quick update:

We have been working on getting a demo version of our game up, and we are very close. We have a couple more assets to finalize and some tiny details to work out, but we hope to have the demo available in the next couple weeks. Most recently, I have been working on the UI elements, including the inventory system. The inventory will important for our game because it represents a key way that story elements will be available to the player, and a key way the player can interact with the world. So I want to get it right. This video shows what I have so far:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ACEnod6LcKU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ACEnod6LcKU</a>

The inventory part is just done with lists as Game Attributes (a list for items in the inventory, a list for equipped items) and the interface elements are actors named in such a way that I can call them based on what items are in the lists. Once the item is equipped, it gets bound to a control that will send a unique message to the scene so the player use items to interact with the environment. Let me know what you think of the layout and general feel of it. I want it to be intuitive and attractive. (We will, of course, replace the stand-in assets with things that match the artistic feel of the rest of our game.)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 07:01:14 am by Crovaxus17 »

Crovaxus17

Okay, got another video. This is the boss fight for our initial demo. It should give a sense for how the combat and movement will work and look like. There are a couple of glitches (in particular the part where the enemy's attack sprite just floats there, which has been fixed since I made this video), and we are still adding features: sound effects, particles, etc. Please pardon the low sound quality. And obviously the main character is still an incomplete stand-in. Let us know what you think. Suggestions welcome :)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Ape9_ZT3rfI&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Ape9_ZT3rfI&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>