Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

10000 Dragons: Action RPG

Mebbs

Hi Guys,
This is some initial concept work for the boss at the end of our level. I'm also going to try to utilize it for his in-game portrait. What do you think?

iii

This reminds me of Lone Wolf and Cub.
Been decades since the last I read that old manga.
Good job!

Mebbs

This reminds me of Lone Wolf and Cub.
Been decades since the last I read that old manga.
Good job!

Thanks! I should pick that up for reference, I don't read enough comics anymore. Still working through One Punch Man

ceosol

What type of lighting and rendering are you using for the comic/cartoon look to the models? I love this art style and have been trying to get better at it. I know single point light is best, but I haven't been able to get it to look quite right :)

Mebbs

What type of lighting and rendering are you using for the comic/cartoon look to the models? I love this art style and have been trying to get better at it. I know single point light is best, but I haven't been able to get it to look quite right :)

Thanks, I appreciate it :)
I actually took out all the lighting, and opted for shadeless materials and freestyle outlines in Blender. At first I was throwing everything I could at them, like crazy hair particles and cloth physics, but that ended up getting in the way of the style we were going for, as well as being much more time consuming. I would also paint over the original t-pose I had modeled from to create a single clothing texture that I wrapped directly onto the model to avoid a complex unwrapping process.
I could upload some workflow images to show the process, if anyone's interested. It's more a use of silly shortcuts than really good 3D skills lol

ceosol

I just whipped this up in a few minutes using a different program, but following your instructions. That is pretty neat. Thanks for the tips.

Mebbs

Nice work :) what program did you use?

ceosol

Poser with diffuse light and pencil/ink sketch. I would have to play with the sketch setting some more to fill in the blank spaces.

iii

It's more a use of silly shortcuts than really good 3D skills lol

What is a good 3D skills anyway?
Ability to click a button 1 by 1 from A to Z?

When it comes to art, there is no right or wrong, only different ways to reach the end result.
Its all about self expression. Nothing silly of using shortcut at all.
In all my years of doing 3d art, I never follow any instructions at all.
I always use tons of my own shortcuts to speed-up my workflow.

Don't worry too much to be right. Just be creative.

Mebbs

I just whipped this up in a few minutes using a different program, but following your instructions. That is pretty neat. Thanks for the tips.

Poser with diffuse light and pencil/ink sketch. I would have to play with the sketch setting some more to fill in the blank spaces.

Looks good! Missing lines are the best lines!

Meestar

Question.  In what you have shown so far, it doesn't seem like anything explicitly tells the player that they can attack/deflect projectiles like shown during the demo's final boss fight.  Do you have something like that in the game and just haven't shown it at all?  I mention this because the average player probably won't watch most of the promotional material and thus won't know about this useful feature.
PM me if you require help.  I'm always glad to help out!

Crovaxus17

Question.  In what you have shown so far, it doesn't seem like anything explicitly tells the player that they can attack/deflect projectiles like shown during the demo's final boss fight.  Do you have something like that in the game and just haven't shown it at all?  I mention this because the average player probably won't watch most of the promotional material and thus won't know about this useful feature.

This is actually a general problem we have been thinking about a lot, so I'm glad you brought it up. Aesthetically, we really would like to keep the amount of directly communicated information to a minimum--in other words, we would rather show the players what to do rather than tell them. But that is proving pretty difficult with precise actions, like blocking projectiles, that are, by design, at least a little difficult to pull off. Making it even more complicated, we have been toying around with putting in a classic reflect-and-stun move on the boss fight:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6GOqz7853oE&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6GOqz7853oE&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

It is really hard to communicate this possibility to the player. We have so far designed this first level so that the player encounters a melee enemy first, then a ranged enemy, then a melee and ranged together, then the boss who has both attacks. We considered just putting some on-screen text at the first two enemies with brief and general tips for fighting enemies of that type: maybe that text would appear right after you kill the enemy? We would rather not be so heavy handed, but at the same time we want to be clear and make the game easy to pick up. Any thoughts?

Meestar

Well, do you use any cutscenes in your game?  You can maybe have a projectile launched at the player during a short scene little scene and show them deflecting/destroying the projectile.  You'd have to do some toying around with the timing to get it right, but if you lock the player's movement and animations, show the scene, then go right into the fight, that may be effective.

WitlessWonderer

Just a thought concerning showing players how to block or even the possibility.  I have been playing Costume Quest 2 lately, and I really like the way that they guide players.  It's an action-rpg, like the Mario and Luigi SuperStar saga games, meaning that while the combat is turn-based, if the correct buttons are hit with the correct timing, then attacks and blocks can be more or less effective. 
The way the game signals to the player when to press the button is with a circle that shrinks to a point focusing on the character blocking.  If the block button is pressed exactly when the circle disappears, then then block is successful.  I think this is a great way of showing the mechanics to block and coaching the player about the proper timing of button presses.  You wouldn't need to implement this the whole game though, perhaps during the first stage.
I don't know if a cut scene would work seeing as players have been trained to understand that sometimes characters do things in cut-scenes that players can't normally do. But that's just my two-cents.

Meestar

Just a thought concerning showing players how to block or even the possibility.  I have been playing Costume Quest 2 lately, and I really like the way that they guide players.  It's an action-rpg, like the Mario and Luigi SuperStar saga games, meaning that while the combat is turn-based, if the correct buttons are hit with the correct timing, then attacks and blocks can be more or less effective. 
The way the game signals to the player when to press the button is with a circle that shrinks to a point focusing on the character blocking.  If the block button is pressed exactly when the circle disappears, then then block is successful.  I think this is a great way of showing the mechanics to block and coaching the player about the proper timing of button presses.  You wouldn't need to implement this the whole game though, perhaps during the first stage.
I don't know if a cut scene would work seeing as players have been trained to understand that sometimes characters do things in cut-scenes that players can't normally do. But that's just my two-cents.

Well, the way I was thinking about the "cutscene" is that it is very brief and doesn't look any different than normal gameplay, besides the fact that the character moves on its own for a brief moment to knock away a projectile and then boom, gameplay.  Seemless, quick, done and over faster than it takes you to read what I've written here.