10000 Dragons: Action RPG

decafpanda

Awesome HUD and UI!

ceosol

Oh yeah, that is much improved.

Crovaxus17

We finally published a demo! It is on itch.io -- you can find it here:

https://itch.io/embed/72050?linkback=true

The full demo is currently a mac-only app. Sorry! But we are working on getting it going on other platforms. For now, if you don't have a Mac you can play the flash version, which is trimmed down to get it to run okay on flash (though its framerate still suffers some).

And here is the most recent trailer:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9a6dIt5CeW8&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9a6dIt5CeW8&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 02:13:41 pm by Crovaxus17 »

ceosol

Have you tried it without black borders around the character? Samurai Jack had a similar feel to it and did it without black outlines on the artwork.

I am not saying that you HAVE to do it that way, just wondering how it would look.

Mebbs

Have you tried it without black borders around the character? Samurai Jack had a similar feel to it and did it without black outlines on the artwork.

I am not saying that you HAVE to do it that way, just wondering how it would look.

Hey ceosol, yeah the main character has definitely seen the most iteration. We've gone through some passes with line work removed, and we'll probably revisit them while I try to improve the pipeline.
But if you didn't already see it I finally finished the main poster!

image hoster

Mebbs

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to iterate on the game icon, and I could use your help:

I'd love to get some feedback if you have any thoughts or preferences. Thanks!
-Matt

ceosol

I like the white on the middle on, but with the big 10,000, everything is kind of obscured. I think the 3rd one is the best. Considering how small icons are, I think the 1st one would be too small to really tell that it is a dragon.

letmethink

I'll be honest,  when I first looked at the second one (which jumped out the most to me), I didn't read "10000", rather I saw four blocks that didn't resemble zeros particularly until I realised what I was looking at. (This may be because you are using just a line for a one and it is very pushed over to the side.
~Letmethink

Mebbs

Thanks ya'll :)
Yeah I feel the same way. I was a little ambitious and broke my own rule to never put text in an icon lol

Crovaxus17

Hey, thanks everybody for all your feedback; we're looking for some more, if you can:

We are currently working on tweaking the details of the gameplay experience: the overall look and feel, including visual effects. (We want to really get things polished before we start creating additional content for the game.) One of the questions we have been considering is whether or not to add Hit animations to the characters (as is, the actors do not change animations when they get hit in combat, though there is a particle effect and sometimes knockback). Adding hit animations might improve the feel of the game, but it would also complicate the simplicity of combat since it would involve interrupting other animations, like attacks. (It would also possibly hinder performance, as some of our actors are pretty big, with over 2 dozen animations already.) At the moment, we are unsure whether we want to add interruptible animations as a common feature of the game (as opposed to, say, a particular enemy with a special property of having an interruptible attack), so I tried to increase the Hit feedback effect without adding extra animations. I put in a lens flare and beefed up the particle effect. Check out the GIF below; compare it to the combat as seen in the Trailer video posted above to get a sense for how much it has changed. What do you think? Is it enough visual feedback?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 06:04:08 am by Crovaxus17 »

ceosol

My feelings on the subject is that interruptions should be a case-by-case basis. One boss requires you to knockback the energy ball thingies. Another boss could require you to interrupt at a certain moment. Interruptions would not add much to the gameplay unless EVERYTHING can be interrupted, including the player.

decafpanda

the gif is not animating for me so I can't see exactly what the particle effect looks like.  Adding in a staggered animation would be cool but it would change the combat so much( unless it was extremely brief) .  You would have to re work all the AI to incorporate the stagger.

What about a really subtle screen shake on collision?  Just enough to give the attacks more weight.  I'm also a big fan of making the actor flash white on collision and flash white screen on kill.  Those little touches go a long way.

Game looks Great!!!!

Crovaxus17

Hey folks, thanks for the feedback. Sorry about the GIFs being busted. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but here is a video version of the sample:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ySiIjLeijwE&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ySiIjLeijwE&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

My feelings on the subject is that interruptions should be a case-by-case basis. One boss requires you to knockback the energy ball thingies. Another boss could require you to interrupt at a certain moment. Interruptions would not add much to the gameplay unless EVERYTHING can be interrupted, including the player.
I think I agree that on-hit animations are not needed except in special circumstances. And that is one advantage to refraining from making them a common feature of the game: the interrupt could become a cool feature that makes a handful of encounters more interesting. The trick then seems to me to be getting the feedback associated with each individual hit beefy enough to feel right. (We are working on improving the sound effects as well, which will also help.)

the gif is not animating for me so I can't see exactly what the particle effect looks like.  Adding in a staggered animation would be cool but it would change the combat so much( unless it was extremely brief) .  You would have to re work all the AI to incorporate the stagger.

What about a really subtle screen shake on collision?  Just enough to give the attacks more weight.  I'm also a big fan of making the actor flash white on collision and flash white screen on kill.  Those little touches go a long way.

Game looks Great!!!!

Yeah, even if the hit animation was extremely brief, it would still substantially alter the flow of the combat, which we are currently pretty happy with.

The screen shake is a good idea. As of now, the screen shakes when you do the "special" big attack and when the player gets hit, but I could put in a tiny touch of it for regular attacks as well.

As for the white flash, do you mean something like a white flash shader whenever you kill an enemy? The enemies used to get a "make negative" effect on hit, but on the desktop app, that effect slaughters game performance when applied to big actors (it seems exacerbated when the actor has a bunch of transparency on it, but I am not sure)--it's how the desktop app processes effects as opposed to the flash player. We are currently using the "Tint" effect instead because that is the only effect built into the desktop app software, but it doesn't work on the enemies because they are already black (i.e. fully saturated)--the only place the tint effect shows up is in their eyes (which you can see on the video I think, if you look really close :o ).

I would love to have a way to add back in "make negative" or "brightness" effects without loosing performance on desktop: anyone have any suggestions for that?

decafpanda

Now looking at the gif I think a little screen shake would do just fine.  Probably not even a quarter the intensity that the player receives on hit.

I was referring to tinting the enemy white on collision just like the player character's red tint.  For the screen flash I would draw a white rectangle at screen height and width for .1 seconds.  Basically it would flash a really brief white screen when they died.  With a nice sould effect on death it would really give the finishing blows some weight.

The screen flash might be a bit much but it wouldn't hurt to test it out

Crovaxus17

Hey, everyone. We've been AWOL for a while now, but we are still working on this project. We ran into some slowdowns, and are now thinking about where to take this game next. But, the demo is updated. We put in some changes to the gameplay, so if you want to try out the demo and tell us what you think, we would really appreciate it. The demo is here:

https://crovaxus17.itch.io/10000-dragons

Cheers!