Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Biotech Valley

gurigraphics

I really like your pixel art, especially the candle. Is that light effect part of the candle actor? Or a separate partially transparent actor?

It is a unique circle with transparency. You place one upon another and resizes them in code.

gurigraphics

Others insights

1- I perceived that the last character was a little more charismatic. The others seem a little lifeless.
I will pay more attention to these expressions.

2- I realized that it is good to post a very bad design or idea, and then post another better. This creates a contrast that represents before and after or progress and evolution in a narrative. In the case, the narrative is the development of your game.

The development is the true first stage of the game that the audience has contact.
Therefore, this should be done in as good shape as all elements of the game.

Because, spend a year making a game, and then make a poorly made video in 30 minutes, this is "marketing of despair".

Then, development is also a narrative. And need level design: progression.
How much higher the contrast, the more attention and emotion.
How much less contrast, most the monotony.

Understanding this is the first step. Include this in your development routine is the second.

gurigraphics

Ugly as a monster even.    :o

But, 5 eyes is ok.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 05:55:42 pm by gurigraphics »

gurigraphics

Progressing, but like a turtle or crab.

The Insight here was this:

And if there was no game.
Only these specific characters.
They are attractive enough by themselves?

And if that character had only mouth?

With that, I realize what's really bad in each element of each the element.
And I get between what I would like and what I can do.

I think that this character is already acceptable for this game.
Only put a smoother breathing animation.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 03:53:12 am by gurigraphics »

gurigraphics

ABOUT THE GAME

In design:

The creature differences are the level of HP, MP, ATK, DEF. And the powers.

If have wings is a creature of the air. So, it is immune to earth powers.
If have feet, is a creature of the earth. So, it is immune to water powers.
If have no feet, is a creature of the water. So, it is immune to fire powers.
If have horns is a creature of the fire. So, it is immune to air powers.

Or then, the colors are the elements.

In game:

- Common enemies the battles will be like Metroid and action adventure games.
- Mini boss the battles will be like Final Fantasy and Pokemon.

Example:

The world

In the stages you fight with common enemies and collect food and DNA to create stronger creatures.
At the end of each world you fight with a Mini Boss to open new worlds.

The creatures

You can create creatures such as pigs and chickens. And they reproduce.
They are like Tamagoshis.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 03:46:19 am by gurigraphics »

Meestar

I. Love. It.

I like the art. A lot.
PM me if you require help.  I'm always glad to help out!

Donni11

The Stencyl Discord Channel , Where the real Stencyl work happens ;).

LadyLala

Those little monsters are awesome! I like the ones with more than one element moving.. the one where it just bobs up and down is not as engaging - but the ones where the eyes wiggle or something else happens, those are great! Your art is beautifully done, such attention to detail. Keep it up!

gurigraphics

Very Cool !!
Thanks Donni11.

Those little monsters are awesome! I like the ones with more than one element moving.. the one where it just bobs up and down is not as engaging - but the ones where the eyes wiggle or something else happens, those are great! Your art is beautifully done, such attention to detail. Keep it up!

Thanks for feedback LadyLala. Truth. Not all parties were animated.
These examples are not official.  There are other more ridiculous.

The first step was to define the size of sprites. I realized that little monsters do not allow for much variation. Because I use 4 pixels resolution. And at the moment I need of any creatures to do the rest of the game.

I can try to improve the aesthetic later. Because in a game the aesthetic is less important than the fun.
Still, I tried to improve as much as I could just to have more motivation.

Of the 12 principles of animation I used only about 4. It's like the insight 22: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yH63KgAHBM

That is, despite being aware of what could be better, I need stay between what I would really like and what I really can or should do.

It would be different if we did only characters or just animation. And still had two years of experience only in that.

Still, despite the short time and experience I liked the result. Note 6.0 or three stars. kkk

More about the game

About the characters:

Those arms the idea was this being disproportionate even. It was not to be good, it was to be ridiculous. However, I think it was not ridiculous enough.
Because the idea also is the experiments not always work very well. There is progression as in the conventional games, but there is also involution, virus, diseases, etc.

About the cards

There are four elements: adenine (A), cytosine (C), guanine (G), thymine (T)

You can extract these elements from other criatures. More specifically: nucleic acids, nucleotides, nitrogenous bases and this kind of thing.

The combination of these elements produces a type of creature.

In addition to genetics it is also possible to implant chips. The cards are a kind of chip.

For example, (a spoiler) the game uses voice synthesizer. You can make the creatures speak.

The cards also are like pokeballs. You need of cards to create, save and evoke creatures.

About the game purpose

The purpose of this game is to be a Serious Game.

A serious game or applied game is a game designed for a primary purpose other than pure entertainment.The "serious" adjective is generally prepended to refer to products used by industries like defense, education, scientific exploration, health care, emergency management, city planning, engineering, and politics. (Wikipedia)

Besides the fun you will learn here the basic principles of biotechnology.

But all this in his time.

LadyLala

I can try to improve the aesthetic later. Because in a game the aesthetic is less important than the fun.
Still, I tried to improve as much as I could just to have more motivation.

I agree - the mechanics and gameplay are more important - but like you said too, having nice visuals gives you the motivation to continue - they drive you to make it work. I like your approach, to make it good enough to keep you going, but not spend so long that you are just doing artwork.

That is, despite being aware of what could be better, I need stay between what I would really like and what I really can or should do.

I'm going through this right now too - having wild ideas and having to pull myself back and focus on what I really can do. It's a smart way to work - keeps you from giving up in frustration!

Keep up the great work, it seems like your concept will be a lot of fun to play from what I've read.

gurigraphics

The simplest analogy is think the game as a creature. If the heart (Aesthetics - fun) and brain (Mechanics - rules) are not connected with a blood system (Dynamics), the whole system collapses.

But in the real world:

A programmer think in only one question:
I want do? I'll do, and I do not care if I not can, or anyone will appreciate it.

An artist think in two questions:
I want do? I can do? I'll do and everyone will appreciate it.

An game designer thinks in three questions:
I want do? I can do? How I need do for not only I will appreciate it?

Lastly, an entrepreneur needs think more things beyond the one game.

In my case, I'm almost getting to be an artist. Because without Stencyl I would have know how to program better. ^ ^

P.S: I'm not saying that programming or artist is lower.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 12:16:31 pm by gurigraphics »

gurigraphics

DNA Combination

I think that, how much more real this, more will be
difficult to program and still get boring.

Better make like lego. You connect the pieces and ready.