Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Ghost Bird

torcado194

Hey, I thought I might as well post about my game here as well, given I use Stencyl :D

I'm making Ghost Bird! It's a game about a bird who possibly may be a ghost as well. Here are some moving screenshots (in roughly chronological order):

And here's a cool drawing I made:

And here's some cool music Lydia of Bright Primate made for me:

https://soundcloud.com/lydiamarsalaprimate/shady-flight
https://soundcloud.com/lydiamarsalaprimate/scary-ghost-bird

I hope you think it's all cool as well. I have a larger devlog at the tigsource forums if you want to know more, but I'll likely update this one as well!

Thanks guys. And thanks everyone on the Stencyl team for giving us the tools to create cool stuff :)

NobodyX

“If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT.”
― Frank Zappa

merrak

I remember seeing this game in the Ludum Dare contest. I really like the lens effect and triangle effect in this.

Justin

Suuuuper cool visual effects. Hope you figure out where you want the game to go with gameplay.

For Live Support: Join our discord channel and ping me @justin.

torcado194

Thanks a lot guys!

Justin: yeah definitely. I'm still figuring that out, like a storyline or just the world in general. my plan is to just keep adding random elements until it comes to me, but I'm fairly sure it's gonna be an explorative puzzle metroidvania, probably without even enemies or weapons, but possibly traps and environmental dangers, not sure yet!

albatrosssoup

This is looking beautiful and really fun! The way you throw that little sun/light ball thing reminds me a lot of Gimmick!'s main mechanic. Do you mind saying how you achieved the visual effects here? I'm really impressed those could be done in Stencyl!

colburt187

Awesome, saw this on twitter, always great to see cool things being done in stencyl.

gurigraphics

Nice. Very different.

torcado194

Thanks guys!

albatrosssoup: Awesome! I love Gimmick a lot. I honestly didn't even think of that when making it.
I'm kinda hesitant to just give out pretty much the main draw to the game, but I will say it's a big array of triangles drawn to the screen every frame, in which the size/shape and color/darkness depend on the lights in the scene in relation to the position of each triangle.
It's taken a lot of work to get it to run smoothly. Right now I can have nearly as many lights as I want and still maintain 60fps. The light beams slow it down a bit, but it never drops below 30 on my machine. I'm pretty confident I can't get any faster with the drawing/lighting code, but I haven't invested enough time into the raycasting to know if I can't optimize that any more. I just finished it a couple days ago (and actually only spent one day on it. I'm surprised I did it that quickly) so I'm sure I can speed that up a bit more.

torcado194

Outside progress!

Made a better grass tileset and started playing around with the outside colors, which was done during a livestream thing I did. I may do it more often.

PhaserRave

Loving the art style.
"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer." -Zaphod Beeblebrox

Mebbs

Wow, this looks really cool! I'll check out the other journals you mentioned for more info on the shaders, great work. Looking forward to hearing more on this!

Meestar

Thanks guys!

albatrosssoup: Awesome! I love Gimmick a lot. I honestly didn't even think of that when making it.
I'm kinda hesitant to just give out pretty much the main draw to the game, but I will say it's a big array of triangles drawn to the screen every frame, in which the size/shape and color/darkness depend on the lights in the scene in relation to the position of each triangle.
It's taken a lot of work to get it to run smoothly. Right now I can have nearly as many lights as I want and still maintain 60fps. The light beams slow it down a bit, but it never drops below 30 on my machine. I'm pretty confident I can't get any faster with the drawing/lighting code, but I haven't invested enough time into the raycasting to know if I can't optimize that any more. I just finished it a couple days ago (and actually only spent one day on it. I'm surprised I did it that quickly) so I'm sure I can speed that up a bit more.

Wait, so you're using When Drawing to create all of the triangle shapes for lighting?  I thought that was an image you had following your actor around and you just had a shader or something on it to give it a stylistic view.  What makes you use this approach as opposed to, again, an image following your main character?
PM me if you require help.  I'm always glad to help out!

torcado194

That would be a lot more restrictive than my approach. For instance, that wouldn't work with multiple light sources, additive and non-additive lights (which i talk a bit about in the TIGSource devlog, but basically lights that combine color/brightness vs lights that just mesh shapes if they are the same color), dynamic light sizes, the light beams entirely (they use the exact same code for the single-point lights, just stretched along a line). Also. though its hard to tell when the light is moving and because the transitions are so smooth, the triangles are fixed to the tile grid visually. I could make an image snap to the tile grid sure, but that would look a lot less intricate than having each triangle moving individually.

Meestar

That would be a lot more restrictive than my approach. For instance, that wouldn't work with multiple light sources, additive and non-additive lights (which i talk a bit about in the TIGSource devlog, but basically lights that combine color/brightness vs lights that just mesh shapes if they are the same color), dynamic light sizes, the light beams entirely (they use the exact same code for the single-point lights, just stretched along a line). Also. though its hard to tell when the light is moving and because the transitions are so smooth, the triangles are fixed to the tile grid visually. I could make an image snap to the tile grid sure, but that would look a lot less intricate than having each triangle moving individually.
That makes sense.  I do, though, want to disagree with the multiple light sources part, though.  I can use a static black image that fills the entire screen and cut out multiple light sources and still have character movement and a negligible hit to performance, even with graphic redraws that players won't notice at all.  But that's neither here nor there.  It's a very interesting approach and I applaud your work thus far.
PM me if you require help.  I'm always glad to help out!