Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Ghost Bird

Irock

(I'm quoting this giant post since this is the first post on this page and the people need to see it)
aa thanks a lot guys!! I planned on thanking people and posting an update in the same post, but never made an update. so. sorry

BUT THAT TIME IS NOW

This is mostly a cross-post from tigsource. but I love you guys too so I hope you like it <3

oOHHH BOY LOTS OF MOVING IMAGES AHEAD

Big things: I am in the process of porting all of the lighting engine into a GLSL shader!

Not only will this boost performance significantly, but it gives me a lot more control over the lighting. for instance: blend modes!

I only have the shadows set up right now, not the colored lighting, but I still have a tooonnn of awesome things to show off just from that.

I will now spam a whole bunch of cool gifs just for you <3

The first test after finally getting the shading all working

Color shader tests

Weird blend mode tests after getting it all ported

(I like this a lot)

(Aaaannd obviously not taking inspiration from any particular game)

Color aberration stuff!

Other cool color stuff (these aren't gifs don't worry)

Some neat patterns and stuff from my firsts tests

And some glitches and other weird stuff I encountered while working on it
(Epilepsy warning)

Annndd that's about it! Nice short post, maybe a little too text-heavy ;)

But really I'm super happy with all of this. even just some gifs alone are really awesome. I hope you think so too!

Thanks for following my stuff!

Feel free to discuss any of these gifs individually, or all of them at once, if you want!

<3<3<3<3

Man, this is all looking so incredibly snazzy!

Did you have experience with creating shaders before this? I've been wanting to learn how to make them for my games but I'm kinda intimidated, haha

Max Finch

Man this is awesome. Saw this on Twitter as well!

torcado194

Thanks a lot Irock!
I have not had any prior experience with shaders at all. I've learned everything from just messing around with them and theres still a bunch of stuff I am clueless on (which means most of the things i do in the shaders could probably be improved a lot).
https://www.shadertoy.com/ is a really great resource that helped a lot with learning everything, I highly recommend checking it out

Justin

I think it would be fun if you held on to those "glitch" shaders for later. Maybe unlock them with cheats? Use them for a portion of the game where you've been infected by a ghost virus?

It all looks super cool though. Nice work!

For Live Support: Join our discord channel and ping me @justin.

torcado194

yeah, good idea! I would have to recreate most of them, because I just planned on capturing a gif and moving on. but maybe I can do other crazy patterns and whatever

Thanks a lot :)

NobodyX

“If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT.”
― Frank Zappa

ceosol

I really like the aesthetic. I love how you are pushing in a new direction for lighting concepts.

torcado194

Thank you! I'm really happy with how it's turning out. Which is really the only reason I'm this motivated to work on it. Like this is stuff I would be freaking out over if i saw it elsewhere, but the fact that I'm making it myself is super satisfying.

torcado194

Alright, I've finally re-added colored lights to the new lighting system!
I'm really happy remaking it, I have so much more control over color blending. I think things look so much better now.

Just look:

Very pretty!

Here's some glitches too, of course:

ALSO
Check out this 100% accurate fanart

Just beautiful. Both pictures really capture the character so well.

Bhoopalan

Man give this guy a free Stencyl subscription ;)
If I helped you at anytime, help me back build my twitter followers :)
https://twitter.com/imbhoopalan

torcado194

Haha, you know the stencyl jam is coming up, I've been preparing for it :)

Bhoopalan

Haha, you know the stencyl jam is coming up, I've been preparing for it :)

:O That's frightening.

Anyway... all the very best.
If I helped you at anytime, help me back build my twitter followers :)
https://twitter.com/imbhoopalan

torcado194

Thanks a lot, you too!

Bombini

Looks fantastic!!!

NobodyX

oh my god that fanart, haha
buff bird could be another character inside the game
“If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT.”
― Frank Zappa