Pee Break (Out on iOS)

ceosol

One of my projects has been keep under wraps since the beginning. Now that we are close to releasing it, I am proud to announce
Pee Break

This project has been one of the strangest (at least subject matter wise) games. It takes place in a men's restroom. You go from restroom to restroom on your quest. I will fill you in on the question later on. For now, you can read my first blog post about the game here: http://ceosolinfo.com/ceosolblog/?p=43

The game will regenerate water bottles for you. You can also purchase refreshments using coins found in game. And there will be in-app purchases to remove ads, buy bulk refreshments and buy powerups. It will be free to download.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:31:18 pm by ceosol »

Justin

uhhhmmmmm no ladies this is not what goes on in the little boys' room
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)

ceosol

uhhhmmmmm no ladies this is not what goes on in the little boys' room

Hahaha, no, the duckies part is not real. However, the main "story mode" is based on reality (surprisingly).

colburt187

Without trying to be too harsh, I find the art really unpleasant. I think the wacky concept could be funny if you went a retro pixel art style, but all i see when i look at that image is Flash game from 2001 with stock art.

ceosol

Thank you for the comment. I know you like pixelart, so it does not come off as too harsh.

I would not even know where to begin with making pixelart water effects. It was a lot easier to animate the water using 3D models (for me anyway). Also, the tile background took me a while to construct, but drawing that or making pixelart for the individual tiles would have taken me 10x as long. The client's response to seeing it was "the new duck pond looks awesome". That is good enough for me. :)

colburt187

Yeah I'm very much into the pixel art. I guess it depends on what your goals are, if you just wanted to make a fun product then thats fine, but if you are hoping for some financial success from it then the art is important. Even for a game with comedy subject matter, it still needs to be presented nicely. It doesn't have to be super fancy, can be very basic such as Shower With Dad simulator https://youtu.be/iloOmQDes4I Quirky, weird art would probably work best for a game like this.

I think my biggest issue with the art is that it lacks any personality, like i said it looks like stock images, very generic.

ceosol

I just finished making an icon for the game. I am pretty happy with how that came out. I also attached a new screenshot. It show's me "missing the mark" a tad.

ceosol

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:31:35 pm by ceosol »

colburt187

The Water arc mechanic is quite cool, but apart from that, sorry its a bit of a mess, very low quality visually.

ceosol

I don't go around bashing your games. You already stated your opinion multiple times on this game. Please stop.

colburt187

I guess my first 2 posts were an attempt to help you find a new art direction, I even suggested some additional styles. I believe this was the main thing holding this project back.

But now I got hands on with the finished product and gave my opinion of what I experienced. If this ends up being a financially successful game for the owner then I will stand corrected.

Max Finch

Ceosol I don't think Colin means anything wrong. He's genuinely trying to give you some feedback which even when stated point blank should always be taken into account. Any art, including game development is a ruthless endeavor with a lot of competition. Take all feedback in mind, even if it stinks.

With that being said, I'd have to agree with him. The art lacks quality, and in these times with so much competition you really need to bring everything you got and then some. I spent 6 years of my life learning illustrator, color theories, and what works and doesn't work and I personally still think I suck at it. It's not my strongest suit, but maybe I'm not pushing myself hard enough?

Anyways, good luck with the game.

ceosol

Ceosol I don't think Colin means anything wrong. He's genuinely trying to give you some feedback which even when stated point blank should always be taken into account. Any art, including game development is a ruthless endeavor with a lot of competition. Take all feedback in mind, even if it stinks.

I completely agree. I was not upset by his first two comments. I took them as constructive criticism. However, almost half the posts in this thread now are him saying how lousy it looks. That goes from being constructive to just being a jerk.

Hectate

If this ends up being a financially successful game for the owner then I will stand corrected.
Not to pick a "side" or anything, but a game (and it's art design, game design, etc) is not for you to be right or wrong on - you don't need to be correct, or corrected. Each creator has his/her own view of what they want to accomplish with a game (or any artistic endeavor) and financial success is only one measure of the value of a game.
Personally, I have no interest in financial success in video games; my entire game development world is entirely that of self-satisfaction as a hobby and pasttime - experimental games. Given that I don't measure success in terms of money, a choice of art or game design you might find in my game might initially appear unwise or unusual when considering the "market", but those choices would be mine to make.
The same is true for Ceosol. His game, his choice. Provide some feedback if requested, and move on.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

colburt187

You are absolutely correct Hectate, and I did mention in my earlier post  "if you just wanted to make a fun product then thats fine, but if you are hoping for some financial success from it then the art is important"

Ceosol writes a regular forum post about his journey as an indie developer and I honestly want to help him here. At this stage I think I have a pretty good eye for what works on the App Store and this isn't it. He has mentioned that we can't all get lucky like myself and Adventure islands etc, but the moment I got lucky was when DarkTimmy PMed me to tell me that I was dreaming if I thought my game on FGL was going to get sponsored. He explained very clearly that my art was holding me back and he was right.

I know Ceosol made this for a client and if the client is happy with the result then thats great, but I'm pretty sure if the product was profitable for the client then it would work out better for both of them in the long run.

I give Ceosol big respect for his work with Stencyl and steam, I think he has done a great job there and I would listen to any advice he has to offer in that area.

I know I come across a bit harsh in some of my comments, I should work on that. But I'm really trying to help any stencylers that are trying to make a living from games, I want as many stencyl developers to be successful as possible.