Is Stencyl PR active ?

Vectrex71

Since Jon has cleared the situation, my words in this thread are now absolutely obsolet and wrong so i descided to change the color of my old text!

The fact, that no one from the responsible persons says even a single word to this thread, shows what we can expect from stencyl ! It's sad, but it's true !  Stencyl is almost dead ! Open your eyes ! Anyway, i have to renew my  subscription a last time to finish my last Stencyl project i work on since October 2015. But then.... Rest in peace or maybe (i hope so!) it will come back  like phoenix from the ashes ! (but i don't think so!)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:22:49 am by Vectrex71 »

colburt187

The fact, that no one from the responsible persons says even a single word to this thread, shows what we can expect from stencyl ! It's sad, but it's true !  Stencyl is almost dead ! Open your eyes ! Anyway, i have to renew my  subscription a last time to finish my last Stencyl project i work on since October 2015. But then.... Rest in peace or maybe (i hope so!) it will come back  like phoenix from the ashes ! (but i don't think so!)

This is just getting annoying, very sad to see someone hoping for the death of this awesome engine. Anyway your suspicions are not based on any facts. Its the summer period, things are quiet everywhere.

Donni11

@Vectrex71,  Jon and his team have the right to keep it 200 a month. And closed source. Stop wishing for Stencyl to be discontinued. Its not going to happen.  Again this topic is not intended to discourage but rather to encourage Stencyl to update their PR services.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 10:46:13 am by Donni11 »
Peace

qhu1990

I have to say it still has a few unique features that other SDKs don't have. The thing that made me choose Stencyl is definitely the 'scratch programming' if I may call it that. It's amazing, it's simple, and it makes it really worth it for me as a teacher to use this program to teach kids to make a game. There is no way i can do the same with Unity or Unreal because that's way too difficult for every pupil to grasp.

Running multi-platform is also a big plus, GameMaker was on my radar but 70% of my pupils use macbooks so it's a no-go. I really do hope Stencyl sticks around and improves.

Vectrex71

Since Jon has cleared the situation, my words in this thread are now absolutely obsolet and wrong so i descided to change the color of my old text!

This is just getting annoying, very sad to see someone hoping for the death of this awesome engine.

Are you (SELF CENSORED) ?!! What kind of (SELF CENSORED) you spread throughout the forumthread ?!!

1. I do not hope for the death of Stencyl ! NEVER ! My next subcription wil be the 6th !!So since 2011 i'm using Stencyl !!

2. I do not demand that Stencyl becoming Open Source. I only see that this could be the only way to survive !!

3. This is not a thread about me , this is a thread about Stencyl and his lousy support and miserable communication

4. Again ! Open your eyes. There are so many  Engines and SDKs for free out there. Stencyl has to make a big leap forward and must convince why you should pay for it. Otherwise it will maybe die ! (And that's NOT a wish from me, that's the sad truth...But I'm still here, i payed so much money for Stencyl the last years because i see the potential and i want support Stencyl and Jon  I greatly admire.  Maybe i use harder words than others here. Maybe this is because English is NOT my mothertongue. But i wish, i want, i hope that Stencyl will survive ! I would also pay 250$ a year when it will work as expected ! But today it is not worth 199$ a year for a new customer (And this is just my personal opinion, you don't have to share my opinion), but don't put words in my mouth i never sayd!

Anyway your suspicions are not based on any facts. Its the summer period, things are quiet everywhere

Why do you attack me verbally? As a paying customer it is my right to be critical against a product i payed so much money througout the years ! I'm interessted in a future for Stencyl and sometimes this requires some harsh words to change something to the good.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:24:04 am by Vectrex71 »

Nikkita31

Hi Guys.

Is this really a prototype of stencyl?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF60pgrh8a4

I was really amazed after watching that video. I think overall, Stencyl is still a solid software that's currently being developed and if there are more clients who truly sees the full potential of stencyl, the development and progress will definitely go further.  I don't think there is a 100% perfect software.  ::) If a software is easy to use and known for it's power, people will always be out there to use it.

-renegadequarters

letmethink

That is an old image of Stencyl yes. I'm not sure how much was actually functional back then though (since I wasn't around).
~Letmethink

Vectrex71

Back in that days, stencyl had other names like
( Stencyl Works)

or

(iStencyl)

It confuses me, why there is "stencyl.com" written in the Video. Why not iStencyl.com or StencylWorks.com ?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:24:27 am by Vectrex71 »

ChristianEs

Omg i hope stencyl doesn't die,  what is the worst thing it could happen?  I mean if is open source , that means the "stencyl program" is open source, but what will happen with the compilation process and such.

Fool

I'm a paid sub as well, and that, to me, is the biggest indicator that stencyl will be around long term. Subscriptions are a predictable, long term model. More to the point, while suggestions are indeed, hit or miss, looking at the changelogs, additions seem to be a good mix of new features and needed bug fixes.
Interestingly the few questions and bugs I've reported have often had dev responses, which is suprising considering how busy they must be. Also a shout out to Letmethink, Liberado, Rob, and Ceosol among other dedicated members for all the help they provide to many members. I guess the word community is overused on the internet today, but you gents really make things happen. Thanks again for all the help.

All the progress so far, says to me they *have* a roadmap and a plan, but have, in lieue of other responsibilities, just not got around to publicaly posting it. A lot of what could be construed as 'neglect' looks keenly like programmers who are too busy to respond, and the suggestions going unanswered is probably also a symptom of that. In other words, like most people who are genuine and dedicated, the devs have too much to do and not enough people to do it.

And yeah, stencyl is, I think  one of the few engines that, interalia, doesn't get in the way when you want to do something simple, doesn't obfuscates the low level stuff, and has a fantastic support/paid model that doesn't pinch you for every dollar (asset markets)

merrak

All the progress so far, says to me they *have* a roadmap and a plan, but have, in lieue of other responsibilities, just not got around to publicaly posting it. A lot of what could be construed as 'neglect' looks keenly like programmers who are too busy to respond, and the suggestions going unanswered is probably also a symptom of that. In other words, like most people who are genuine and dedicated, the devs have too much to do and not enough people to do it.

I wasn't going to chime in on this thread until I read this comment, but I can attest to this thought. Good PR is a skill, and not one programmers always have time to practice (since they're busy programming). When I was a MUD server admin, I had a similar relationship to the players that the Stencyl team has with its users. In particular, there are always more ideas than time to implement them, and taking the time to craft a response to each one can be very draining. Every minute spent on PR is a minute that can't be spent on programming or, in the case of Stencyl, other tasks necessary to running a business. While it can be disappointing to never hear back on a great idea, I can't blame the Stencyl team if some fall through the cracks.

Donni11's earlier suggestion to use an external site to gather feedback was an interesting one, but it seemed that site was designed to help developers identify priorities... something I don't think the Stencyl team needs for the reasons Fool mentioned.

That all said, it would be great to see more activity and community building from the devs. The community is one of Stencyl's good selling points. In particular, it responds by providing extensions (mostly for free), customer service in the form of answering questions, and general morale support. Keeping users engaged with contests (remember the LD forums?), staff picks (the "What's Hot?" section of the arcade features games that are a couple years old), etc., helps ensure potential newcomers stick around long enough to give Stencyl a serious try... and maybe even become a subscriber.

The community seems healthy right now, but that shouldn't be taken for granted.

colburt187

Ok I apologise as I maybe miss interpreted what you wrote.

"Its sad, but its true! Stencyl is almost dead" This sounds like you have some solid proof that stencyl is almost dead, as you state it is "true". If i was a new potential customer and I come to the forums and read this comment, I'm going to be reluctant to invest in a service that one if its users is saying that it is true that the engine is almost dead.

"Rest in peace or maybe (i hope so!)" I read this as you saying you hoped it was going to die, but reading again I see the "hope so" refers to what is coming after.

"(but i don't think so!)" Again, a new user coming to the forums seeing someone saying the engine is almost dead and a user doesn't see it coming back is damaging for the product.

Jon

I've kept a low profile but would like to briefly chime in to say that we're alive and well and plan to stick around for the long haul.

Justin has been busy getting us prepared for the next update to our tech stack - the latest OpenFL / Haxe awaits. It's not quite ready for adoption, but it's a post-3.4 task. Some of our other devs have been busier than ideal - that is why updates have come slower than I'd like to see.

On the business side of things, we've been selling to many more schools and education-focused businesses this year. Diversifying our audience will keep our business healthy for years to come and provide us the means to continue developing the software for both current and future users.

I hope this clears up any questions about our standing.

Vectrex71

I hope this clears up any questions about our standing.

Yes Thank you Jon !!! I'm really happy to read that !! That's great !! So all negativ vibes are gone !!  I feel much better now !

Stencyl seems to have a future !!  G R E A T !

I have changed the color of my older texts to nearly unreadable in this thread !

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:29:02 am by Vectrex71 »

bonzero

Good to hear things are OK from the boss :) Stencyl is too good to go!