Don't Fail! -- A Redo of Worp

Max Finch

Hey everyone! It's been awhile since I've opened a new thread here!

Over a year ago I released Worp; an action/arcade dodgeball game with spaceships. After that I went dark, fell into some dark pits in life, started attending college, etc etc. It took a while to find passion to work on games, I was pretty much burnt out on everything. But one day Colin (Colburt) messaged me about Worp, and I got around to playing it after a year of ignoring it and realized how much better I could do! So thus began a very long process of balancing life and working on Don't Fail! My latest game, largely based off it's older brother with enough differences to be it's own game!

I expect this game to be out before the year is over, hopefully before school starts back up. But we'll see, I'm in no rush -- just along for the ride.

I'll be posting here as I go! Stay Tuned!

-Max Finch

Max Finch

So Don't Fail is a lot like the old Worp. However, it has a few key differences:

1) Point System: Instead of dodging balls to collect points, you now collect a ring of stars to collect points. This promotes continual movement and fixes an issue where players could get high scores by holding down left or right. Additionally it provides a more clear objective.

2) Ring Re-Sizing Mechanic: In previous versions of Worp the ring would stay large if you kept moving. This made it difficult for many players and their playing styles. Additionally many players didn't know why or how the ring resized. It just did.

3) Difficulty: In Worp the difficulty was very hard. This was because of how random the game was. To combat this, the above 2 differences were put into play. Additionally the game will start out slower and ramp up as the game progresses. My goal with the difficulty is to make the game hard, but not too hard -- and certainly not hard enough it becomes extremely frustrating. (we'll see how I do here). Really my goal here is to make a hard game people can get better at with skill.

4) Powerups: I received much feedback about adding powerups to Worp. I didn't because I felt it would make the game too easy, I also had no idea how to add powerups in Worp. Dont Fail will have powerups (Slow Mo, Expand Circle, Magnet and Destroy Balls). You'll recieve a powerup either every 40 points or increment of 20 points multiplied by number of powerups previously spawned (20 points, 60, 120, etc.)

========================

There's also major key differences and additions such as graphics, UI layout, more focus on UX, replaykit, new sharing mechanic, and other small tid bits.

Here's a current GIF of the game in action so far!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 08:33:08 pm by Max Glockling »

Bhoopalan

I'm so glad that you're back; that too with a game I admired a lot.

I admired Worp a lot and it was disappointing to know the result of it. So exciting to know how "Don't fail" is going to be. Definitely seem to be on the right track.
If I helped you at anytime, help me back build my twitter followers :)
https://twitter.com/imbhoopalan

Max Finch

I admired Worp a lot and it was disappointing to know the result of it. So exciting to know how "Don't fail" is going to be. Definitely seem to be on the right track.

Appreciate the kind words man :) School and a lot of personal life problems hit me hard and I hadn't had time to do much of what I liked since I was really busy. Glad to be back too, though I'm pushing myself to learn new forms of digital media once this game is released so not sure if I'll be around for too long lol.

Max Finch

So one of the coolest mechanics in the game besides the gameplay is the sharing mechanic.

A user is awarded a medal from Bronze, Silver, and Gold according to their score. If the player decides to share their score it grabs the medal background and places their last game score on the left hand side and the high score on the right hand side. Using the Simple Share extension by Robinschaafsma, I take the resulting share image and post it to the users source.

Here's the medal backgrounds:

and here's the end result!

so shout out to Robin for that awesome extension!

Bhoopalan

Appreciate the kind words man :) School and a lot of personal life problems hit me hard and I hadn't had time to do much of what I liked since I was really busy. Glad to be back too, though I'm pushing myself to learn new forms of digital media once this game is released so not sure if I'll be around for too long lol.

I get it!! All the very best for this redo.

And the medal type is pretty nice considering that this is Olympic season ;)
If I helped you at anytime, help me back build my twitter followers :)
https://twitter.com/imbhoopalan

choppedupmonkey

Im glad :) I was wondering where you disappeared to. Nice to hear from you again
My name is Jason, I live in America, and I am 18 years old

"Focus more on the product than profit, for the profit will come after the product." -Me

Max Finch

So I stayed up until 2am last night implementing a color change feature into the game by using RGB values and gradually changing them over .2 of a second.

This is the result (very early alpha gameplay)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mNjYWKS_lSM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mNjYWKS_lSM</a>

LIBERADO

This game is fun and its mechanics is great. But, honestly, I think the main problem is that all the action takes place in a very small area. At least 60% of the screen is permanently empty.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 02:36:35 pm by LIBERADO »
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

Natrium

It's great!

However, I think that the animation when you collect a star (when it goes at the top of the screen) clutters the space too much, which is a problem since, as LIBERADO pointed, the area is small.

Also I don't like the title. "Don't fail" is so generic and tells nothing about the game (since in all games you must not fail). "Worp" was way better in my opinion.

TheeSeaverShow

Nice to see you back Max.  Enjoying the new game, I also agree about the title being too generic though!  Looking forward to following this.  Cheers Mate!

Max Finch

I see how one could view this as limited space, but it's not like I have that much to work with anyhow.

Also considering your two thumbs take up the bottom portion and things like your score and encouragement text take up the top, there's really not that much empty space.

Also keep in mind the gameplay from Worp, doesn't translate into this game. They're almost completely different.

As for the name, yes it's generic but for the App Store generic is good. Worp isn't a highly typed name anywhere as it's actually spelt warp. Additionally I didn't want to confuse Don't Fail and Worp, especially because Worp already has a web presence on Touch Arcade.

suitcasenuke

I've been playing around with this. Max is really polishing things, even in this early stage! It's good to have him back. :)

Max Finch

So might as well update everyone as a new test build builds to my iPhone.

Right now I'm really working on optimizing the game both performance wise and gameplay wise.

Since the last post Don't Fail has take a slight performance hit -- so I figured it's about time I play around with all of the behaviors and clean things up. In my opinion I believe performance is the 2nd largest impacting factor when it comes to games right behind the gameplay itself. So it's always good to take some time and tweak your gameplay logic, even when it's really boring.

Now when it comes to gameplay -- I can only tweak the game so much, I really need to find some play testers. So I'll be messaging all my friends that match my target audience until I feel satisfied with the gameplay.

Gameplay is my biggest concern with Don't Fail for two reasons...
1) If the balls are too slow, the player can actually hold left or right down and score a mass amount of points... This is hard to combat.

2) If the balls are too fast, the player can't focus on all three of them at once. This makes the game impossible, frustrating, and shitteey.

Both of these instances appeared in Worp -- and was one of the factors I believe held the original game back. Apart from general polish. I figured this out because I received a lot of "I feel I win because of luck, not skill" in Worp reviews. When you receive those comments, you know you're not going in the right direction.

===========

So that's mostly what I've been up too!

My summer has been pretty toss and turny, I've been through 2 jobs this year and my finances took a hit. Still picking myself up, but since my developer renewal expires in two days I might be slowed down until I receive my first paycheck from my new job. Shouldn't take long though.

Once I get that renewed  then the real fun begins :D

Have a rad day all

TheeSeaverShow

Good post max, good luck, and keep at it, your a great developer.