Don't Fail! -- A Redo of Worp

Crovaxus17

I agree with you about the game logic being important. For me it is always a matter of realizing later that I want to add functionality, and kicking my self for not writing better / more flexible behaviors in the first place. Little details, like what system (or lack thereof) I used to name animations or something, end up being really important.

Max Finch

Yeah, for me what it comes down too is I have a checklist and ideas and I implement all my ideas then realize my framerate suffers. Probably because I'm in such a rush to see how my ideas works I don't pay attention to my logic. Adding loops in updated events, no working with atlases.  It's also not a whole lot of fun going through all your logic seeing what can be optimized.

Max Finch

Update time!

Don't Fail is getting closer and closer every day. Too much has changed since the last update -- So I'll just share a few things for the sake of reading.

Music: Whenever I need music for my games I hit up Nik Sudan. He's extremely affordable and a truly talented soul. Check out his twitter here Let him know I said hi!

You can check out the official track for Don't Fail HERE. (Low quality version) Make sure to hit him up if you need some work done.

I've also officially decided against powerups. Long story short a bug stopped powerups from spawning and I noticed that not only did I not notice them/miss them. But the game felt more real without them. So I'm stripping that out of the game, maybe powerups will be an option next time!

Other than that the game has just received a lot of under the hood re-working. Fine tuning for optimal performance and in general just making sure the game is a quality product.

=========

What's left as of right now are just some final visual effects, scaling the game to fit on all devices, some last tweaks, lots of play-testing, and prepping for the app store. I'm looking at launching in October -- Really excited and nervous to be at this point again. It's been too long since I've released a new video game.

TheeSeaverShow

Sounds like its going good. Thanks for the artist share too, always looking. Good Luck Max.

Justin

Quote from: Max Finch
Long story short a bug stopped powerups from spawning and I noticed that not only did I not notice them/miss them. But the game felt more real without them.
Oh happy accidents.

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)

Max Finch

Sounds like its going good. Thanks for the artist share too, always looking. Good Luck Max.
He's great

Quote from: Max Finch
Long story short a bug stopped powerups from spawning and I noticed that not only did I not notice them/miss them. But the game felt more real without them.
Oh happy accidents.

Yes :)

Max Finch

Playing around with Illustrators 3D tool :P I have a more clean picture for app store screenshots

Donni11

Hello Max,

the game looks really cool! I'm really excited to try it out. Any idea when it will be ready for release?
Peace

Max Finch

I don't man, every time I feel I'm getting to that point some bug or something shows up and I have to fix it. Or I feel like something could be done better. etc. But I'm really wanting to launch late October to mid November!

Bhoopalan

I wish to see the game soon as well ;)

Just thought that non-halloween type games can be postponed releasing... Halloween type games may have higher chances of being featured during the season - My wild guess!!
If I helped you at anytime, help me back build my twitter followers :)
https://twitter.com/imbhoopalan

Max Finch

To be honest, I don't really care about getting a feature. Would be nice but really I just wanted to revamp Worp as a side project for the summer & a portfolio project for school :)

I felt Worp could've been so much more when I started Don't Fail. This was really just an attempt at making that so.

Bhoopalan

I thought worp could have had the Apple feature. So I still think a revamp of Worp may posses the opportunity to be featured.

All the best again..
If I helped you at anytime, help me back build my twitter followers :)
https://twitter.com/imbhoopalan

Max Finch

UPDATE
Just posted a new build to my testflight gurus.

Decided I could share what's new.

I've added around 15-20 achievements (can't think of the exact number off the top of my head).
I've added in-app statistics (total points, average points, deaths, # achievements completed) <- These have some factors in achievements
A ton of performance adjustments and what not -- you know, the boring stuff.
Players now tap to continue instead of the game continuing after 3 seconds (highly requested TF feedback)
The first time a player gets to a continue, there's a description of what it is (also highly recommended. Some didn't know you could continue from where you left off)
The game can now detect if the device is capable of vibration and shows/hides the UI accordingly
I've adjusted the UI to work on all devices.
Got in contact with Apple and they fixed my in app problems. Glad that fiasco is over.

There's seemingly endless work but I'm getting closer.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:02:17 pm by Max Finch »

Max Finch

Well it's winter break -- I've got 4 weeks to finish this game so I can move on from it!

EDIT: No more testers needed :)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 01:39:10 am by Max Finch »