Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Earthlings

domagojbulat

Hi!

I am Domo, a game developer from Croatia.

I found about Stencyl somewhere in March 2016 and instantly fell in love with it. Since then I am slowly creating my first game, simultaneously learning as I go.
I published it on June 9th in this forum by name Alien vs Zombies, even though it was barely playable. Merrak and Ceosol gave me positive comments and really helpful tips - thank you guys once again!!
After that I continued developing and implementing more features. I learned something about animation and created 12 frames of walking sequence for my main character:

Since I already do all the art and the programming for my game, it seemed like a good idea to outsource sound effects. That is why recently I teamed up with a cool young musician to help me with that part.

Later on, I found out that on many computers my game is hardly playable using too much CPU, especially when viewing by Chrome. Because of that I learned a bit about efficiently using resources, and removed all heavy stuff (except for the drawing events). That did not help much, so I tried with simple physics. I did not like it very much since I lost many physic attributes and I would have to program them manually or something. Even though that is maybe the weakest point for my game, I decided to leave it as it is and move on.

Somewhere at this point I understood that I really need to keep things as simple as possible and scale down everything. Recently I renamed the game to "Earthlings" because zombies were just one of appearing monsters. The earthlings are actually artifacts that you collect in game. After fixing the name, I was able to paint the start screen and I am quite happy how it turned out:

I am looking forward to your suggestions and tips! Thanks everyone!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 12:01:19 pm by domagojbulat »

LIBERADO

I am playing your game on Google Chrome, the performance is good.
The first impression is that your character is too slow. I think you should double its walking speed.
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

domagojbulat

Thanks!! Good news for Chrome... I guess your computer is strong :-) Walking can be improved by upgrading your speed in the yellow shop.

LIBERADO

I really like this game, but the jump is difficult to control when it is strong. It would be better if the character starts to fall as soon as the player releases the jump button.
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

domagojbulat

Aha, I agree with you on that one! It was the same feeling for me too, but I did not think of such a simple solution. I will probably change jump to be like you said.

domagojbulat

Thanks to LIBERADO's suggestion, jump control is much smoother now.

These days I have been trying out various backgrounds. Finally I painted a bit naive colorful image and applied some grainy filter which i liked.
Only trouble now is that none of my tiles matches the new background.

I might have to create a new tiles set from scratch now  ::)  :'(

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 01:18:56 pm by domagojbulat »

domagojbulat

This morning I created matching colorful tiles. My plan is to make the first 5 levels with colorful tiles and the last 5 levels with old tiles. The old tiles still need their matching background...

mdotedot

Really like the graphics and animations.

The background of the first level is a bit too colorfull to have a good feeling of the tiles.
The second level is better to see where the platforms are.
The controls still feel a bit too hard for the first level(s).

My personal preference would be to make the controlled character a bit faster.

Good start!
Best regards from
M.E.
Hanging out in the Chat:  http://www.stencyl.com/chat/

domagojbulat

Thanks!!! Your feedback is very valuable to me. I will speed up the main character and reduce hue of the background to make tiles more visible.

domagojbulat

A few friends told me they would like to wear the main character on a shirt so here it is...
You are welcome to get one as well  ;)

https://teechip.com/2016earthlings

https://teechip.com/chicken2016

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 07:00:21 am by domagojbulat »

domagojbulat

(For a while I stopped working on Earthlings because I was making Quarrel Hill and Sudden Ice Age for Stencyl jams)

Finally found some time for illustration and made the first of two panels for intro.
In the next panel, alien should run to the right (just small puff cloud and leg visible). The middle alien will ask: Sir, does he even know what does the chicken look like?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 02:11:01 pm by domagojbulat »

decafpanda

Love your art man.  Keep it up.  Get that preview updated so I can play!

domagojbulat

Thanks! I hardly find time for working on the game these days, but I finally updated the preview.
I added animals description that were written by poehyrulian. They are funny and colorful. Animals themselves are not consistent at all making the task harder, so I think he did a great job.

My opinion is that game could be better, but hopefully some kids might enjoy it because of collecting coins and animals stickers.  I hope to publish within the next 2 or 3 weeks after adding and fixing various points!

Please try it out and report bugs!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 12:08:30 pm by domagojbulat »

CmdrWhitey13

Awesome. Art is wicked and so is the saying. Never would have thought.

domagojbulat

Thank you!
In fact, some work went easier than expected so I think I just might release it on Kong this Saturday already.

Here is a quickly crafted poster for Twitter announcement. Sometimes I surprise myself with the outcome. Looks quite neat in my opinion  8)