Stencyl Jam #16 - Unofficial Discussion

Donni11

@colburt187, Sounds exciting! Looking forward!  I updated the original post.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 03:52:12 pm by Donni11 »
Peace

detted

Awesome! This is gonna be seriously great! :D
Composer • Sound designer • Producer
www.tedwennerstrom.com
@TedWennerstrm

irock

In my opinion, a week is really too short, especially for students like me. I'm not sure I'll be able too make something…
A lot of game jams last only a weekend, namely Ludum Dare and the Global Game Jam. You've got ten days to make something: just try to keep it small!

Donni11

@Irock, Yeah I agree.

But colburt187 maybe wanna add just one more week? So we can create a more awesome game :) !
Peace

Natrium

At least one of the Ludum Dare falls during holidays, and Ludum Dare is for fun more than anything else (for me). Here, money and a Stencyl license is involved, so it's not quite the same.

Obviously, I'll try to make a small, polished game. That's OK. You cannot please everybody.

Donni11

Just a note: This is a Unofficial Discussion. Stencyl LLC will create a official topic soon.
Peace

ceosol

Colburt and Folmer are putting up a prize for this event. From what I understand, they discussed it and decided on having it be 10 days. I think it would still be awesome that they are running this, regardless of whether it went for 1 day, 10 days or 100 days.

tigerteeth

I'm not sure I'll be able to make something either, but that would be the case if it were 10 days or one month.

thechaosengine

Just my personal thoughts on why a 10 day jam is awesome:

- Stencyl is a pretty amazing game making tool that allows for quick development. We want people to see the games you come up with and think "whoa! And all that was done in 10 days?!" and we want YOU to think "I made this in 10 days?!"
- Jams get people excited, but over the course of a month, momentum goes down. People start second-guessing themselves, start over from scratch, or think "well I can fix this and that later". We want the excitement from start to end.
- Jams are a great way to try something new that often leads to expanded versions. You see this a lot with Ludum Dare games. If you have a month to work on something, you risk burning yourself out on the idea- 10 days is generally short enough to keep yourself interested in your idea.