App Store Improvements

rob1221

https://developer.apple.com/support/app-store-improvements/

Apple is going to review apps to make sure they still function correctly and aren't outdated.  I wonder if this will affect apps made with older versions of Xcode.

Also, app names will be limited to 50 characters to limit keyword stuffing in titles (mentioned in e-mail but not in that link).

bobbyck

just out of interest, will the 50 char limit be retroactive?

Max Finch

Should just be apps that don't work on current devices or have compatibility issues

Max Finch

Probably -- though they might just issue developers who have long app names an email notice

rob1221

It will only apply to new apps and updates.  Here's the full text of that part of the e-mail.

Quote from: Apple
Search is one of the most frequently used methods for customers to discover and download apps from the App Store. In hopes of influencing search results, some developers have used extremely long app names which include descriptions and terms not directly related to their app. These long names are not fully displayed on the App Store and provide no user value. App names you submit in iTunes Connect for new apps and updates will now be limited to no longer than 50 characters. You can learn more about creating effective app names, as well as icons, keywords, screenshots, and descriptions, by reading the App Store Product Page.

bobbyck

dammit i cant name my newest app AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAinstall me

:/

(reminds me of the phone book,

AAA Movers
AAAA Movers
AAAAA Movers.

P.S. If you dont know what a phone book is, its something from the 1870's.)

ChristianEs

I wonder how much this could help to Improve downloads on apps that dont get removed, due to reduction of competition. Could be good...

Max Finch

I wonder how much this could help to Improve downloads on apps that dont get removed, due to reduction of competition. Could be good...

I doubt it -- there's quite a few apps on the app store