Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Scene Transition requests

Hectate

I've been feeling the coding bug recently. While I've been poking code together for our very own JinxBot (a channel bot that does stuff in IRC and Discord) in my occasional free time, which has helped, I'd like to do some more game-related stuff too. I don't feel like starting a big game project right now, however.

So I had an idea instead; perhaps people would like to see some more scene transition options? I can't guarantee any results but I'm reasonably confident that, over time, I'll be able to put together an extension that adds some new ones.

So tell me; what transition options and types would you like to see? Go wild and brainstorm! Even if I can't pull it off in the end, I want to hear the idea. Maybe it'll lead to something eventually. :)
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Hectate

Suggestion from Discord;

Justin: NES Zelda-like slide transition (actor stays visible)
Self: Allow use of custom shader code to handle a transition
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

rob1221

I think the Zelda-style transition has been suggested a few times on the forums too.  Something to keep in mind is that if you need to make a copy of the screen as some transitions do, the copied screen won't be accurate outside of Flash.

Hectate

Yeah, I know that some of the platforms come with limitations, unfortunately. Still, there's room for overall improvement regardless.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

gurigraphics

In Gameboy Zelda-style transition what changes is only the camera movement.

When I did this I used a big scene and define regions to update the camera for the X and Y positions of the tiles.

To create an extension of this to be used in any game, it should consider the screen display size, and the size of the scene created;
to make each division and update the camera according to the position of the character.

Hectate

Unept via Discord:

suggestions from iMovie's selection of transition options.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

gurigraphics

Got it. It has nothing to do with zelda so.

Hectate

FYI, this is happening. :)
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

SadiQ

Hectate and I just finished a Card Flip transition, with 2 different modes. Click on the screen to change scenes, and let us know how we can improve it, or if you have any ideas for an awesome transition. Enjoy!

<a href="http://static.stencyl.com/games/35304-0.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://static.stencyl.com/games/35304-0.swf</a>

Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Hectate

To be fair to SadiQ, he did practically all of the coding on these two; I just provided emotional support and occasional feedback. No need to be humble bro, excellent work!

We have more transitions in the pipeline, some simple and some fancy - hopefully everyone will find some of them useful. As SadiQ metioned, feedback and suggestions are appreciated.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

rob1221

There's a thin vertical line that shows up before the transition.

Hectate

I don't see it; is it possible to capture a screenshot?
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

Hectate

Very strange, I don't see that on my monitors. Maybe SadiQ can elaborate later.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

rob1221

Zooming in and out changes where the lines appear, but most zoom levels have no lines.  I'm assuming the background is black, and sometimes it shows through due to how OpenFL renders things.  I'm also guessing there's some scaling going on combined with antialiasing.