Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Scene Transition requests

Donni11

Not seeing the line on my monitor either. Even with zooming and zooming out.

SadiQ

Yes, there is a black background below the image, and besides the scaling there is nothing else going on.
I haven't seen that line at all in any of my tests.
Zooming In or Out on the webpage renders the scene properly in both Chrome and Internet Explorer for me.
What browser are you using?
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

rob1221

I see the lines in both Firefox and Chrome, but they're not in the same place.  Right clicking and setting the Flash quality to low also affects the position of the lines and whether they show up or not.

SadiQ

Could it be the version of flash player that you have? Mine shows 22,0,0,209.
I still don't see the line, no matter the quality setting I pick.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

rob1221

I'm using 23.0.0.162.

Hectate

I'm guessing float/division differences is causing single-pixel gaps to occasionally appear between the rectangles. Maybe we can look at the values and see what happens when they fall onto odd or fractional numbers.

It could be what you mentioned as well Rob. Worth testing around with at least.

Rob; do you have a Zoom Level set on your browser other than 100%?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 07:14:01 am by Hectate »
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

SadiQ

I updated chrome, and now I have the same version as you rob1221. Still no line appears.
I'm also using a 90% zoom level on chrome, but I still don't see any lines. Not even above 100%.
As for rounding errors, I'm splitting the image into an 8x8 grid, so each card should be 80x60.

rob1221

There could be other factors such as hardware that affect how the game is displayed.  I'm not sure if it's something you can fix since I've seen it in my own games as well when trying to perfectly align two objects together.  I really hope OpenFL Next has done something about that, but I don't know.

SadiQ

I've done a minor optimization to the transition and updated the demo. Can you check if the line is still visible?

rob1221

Yeah, it's still there.

Hectate

FYI: doing some work on this while Streaming Live! Feel free to stop in!

https://www.twitch.tv/hectate
currently back offline

« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 10:18:17 am by Hectate »
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Hectate

Here are the results of my work today. We now have a transition that uses an Image to filter out the old scene using a "threshold" value. In essence, as the transition progresses, more and more of the old scene is rendered transparent based on a mask image.
<a href="http://static.stencyl.com/games/29851-0.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://static.stencyl.com/games/29851-0.swf</a>
Any arbitrary image can be used (although I still need to address handling up/down-scaling to fit), including those "Image" types that come from Stencyl itself. As a result, this plays well with the existing blocks in Stencyl. For example, the "image from path" block was used here (with a text attribute) to point to the 'extras' folder where I stored my mask files.

For the examples shown above, I created a few simple gradients in GIMP; you can see a thumbnail of those below.

As you can see, the darker the mask, the sooner it becomes transparent based on the threshold value that gets tweened over the course of the transition.

I'll note that this was inspired by RPGMaker transitions, and a search of the web will find some interesting versions of this; for example:

Presumably you could use those, although it would be up to you to determine the legality of any particular image you find (copyright concerns). Of course, I'll construct a bunch of useful ones to be included, and anyone can make their own easily enough as well!

As always, feedback is welcome!
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

Justin

Oooooh RPG Maker!! Nice job. :)

For Live Support: Join our discord channel and ping me @justin.

Bhoopalan

Very strange, I don't see that on my monitors. Maybe SadiQ can elaborate later.

I saw that on my macbook as well. I thought it is part of the effect ;)

Overall, great effects!! @SadiQ, I also loved the particle effects you've shared earlier!! 
If I helped you at anytime, help me back build my twitter followers :)
https://twitter.com/imbhoopalan

Irock

WHOA, that's really cool!