Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

RPG Platformer Kit

tabletop

Yeah it was on its way to being the Best kit on this website or possibly ever made for making Action/RPG/bigger side-scrolling games.

Honestly someones gotta finish this, combine it with the old cut-scene making engine a guy named Greg worked on awhile back, and

sell it for like $50 because it was the perfect storm for extremely extremely easy to make all kinds of epic fun Cavestory/Maplestory/Metroidvania/Zelda 2/heck any action sidescroller type game.

Jon could make epic amounts of profit if these kinds of kits were focused on because although Stencyl is easy to use for developers, most of the world wants a ton of preset things to change the sprites of and modify and would pay for that.

Luyren

I'm still working on it, but I also have a job and professional goals to reach. It will be finished eventually, rest assured, but sadly I still can't give an estimate.

To avoid future problems: don't think it will be extremely easy to make metroidvanias and the like with this. Sure, you have a lot of stuff taken care for you like cutscene organizer, AI manager and RPG elements, but configuring all that still takes quite a bit of work, specially fine-tuning everything. I am working to make all that the easiest I can for the end-user, but there is still a lot of work required to make these types of games.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 06:49:23 am by Luyren »
Working.

tabletop

The old version on Stencyl 2.0 that was very unfinished still was very easy to do a LOT of things.

Would you be able to upload just a "no expectations" copy of the kit unfinished just so it can be used again in the new version of stencyl even if its not set up to be perfect or complete?

I say this because the original kit that was far behind where you are at now still with workarounds was capable of doing nearly most, but its impossible to load or find that version as well in current Stencyl.

The last demo you posted has virtually everything useful for non programmers, a side scrolling perfect combat engine where we can set the health and damage numbers of enemies and the main character. That in itself is a kit of infinite possibility.

Although not thaat impressive, I couldnt conceive of even getting the gist of beginning prototypes without the kit:

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/19716 Rotatable gun with ammo counter

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/13680 RPG rotatable gun shooter  very unfinished attempt

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/19134 Example of modding the original attacks to create new spells with the baseline actor you gave us

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/13211 A wolf that could be hacked down by the baseline character

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/13093 A prototype about running into yeti monsters that push you back.

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/13789 Your kit was capable of having AI that fight eachoher

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/2095 A spell that spam attacks something with a particle engine from your kit

Although my demos are  nothing much, it proves anyone who can make artwork but cannot program at all could have started using your kit for ANYTHING the way it was  I did not put further work into anything is because of lack of hardware acceleration at the time for games that lag in a browser.

So in conclusion, I and others would be grateful for you to release what you have for the sake of even being able to finally develop games again, as it was able to already do  tons of stuff that is now impossible without a copy of this engine.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:38:06 am by tabletop »

Luyren

I really appreciate your support, don't get me wrong, but I can't publish an unfinished version, I have my reasons. I am working on it, pretty much the only things I do with my life are my job, study and this kit, so even if I'm not showing much, there is progress. For example, I have pathfinding and skill/menu menus working, last time I checked. Still in need of testing and proper examples, but they are there.

If you do plan to use this when it's released no matter what, here are my suggestions:
1- Work on the design document and resources for your game. From item descriptions and effects to character status and progression, enemy patterns, menu layouts and scripted scenes to actor sprites and sounds, you can already start working and refining those. Knowing exactly what you want can save a lot of time when you start putting it together.

2- Nothing is stopping you from making other games with Stencyl. Making other styles of games is a big learning experience that will help you when the kit is released. It is better to have experience on your belt before working on your dream game.
Working.

tabletop

You are right, I had held off because of being unsure about this kit coming bothering to collect all possible aligned sprites/tiles/map objects and put them into Stencyl or design exactly what puzzles and dungeons etc. Since I am not trying to make money off a game, I want to create a side-scrolling action RPG with anime graphics  by using the beautiful 2d sprites found here: http://www.maplesimulator.com/programs/bannedstory alongisde a crossover with Paper Mario sprites as the two blend well. Seeing animations out there made with these kinds of sprites are awe inspiring to be able to create my own big game with such a perfect system of yours eventually (Hopefully by Spring) coming.

I cant find anything on the internet like your kit that is easy to use for such a specific large game game-play wise since I typically depend on an editable engine and from there can master workarounds.

The last demo you posted is like what I dreamt of having the gameplay like for a game, like Zelda OOT Z-targeting but in 2d with RPG stats.

My ambitions are so high soley because I will not be making any of my own art, just using a massive database of about a million things. And your kit just screams: "Insert sprites here and it works!"

Thats why it is futile for me to work on another game, because I have lost interest in Computer Science (Now a mathematics Major), and Il have trouble figuring out how to do anything that does not start with an editable engine. Despite how bad I am, I was able to figure out a few years ago how to get a complicated rotatable gun etc. to begin to work in your rpg platformer kit.

I had also quit at the time of your last kit because before 3.0 lack of hardware acceleration/exportable desktop games made everything lag infinitely. (Such as having 4 party members on a screen, monsters, tons of graphics, etc.)

« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 05:47:13 am by tabletop »

tabletop

Will your kit have an easy way to do Switch puzzles and keys for locked doors?

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/13478 

I was able to do this in your previous kit in a way I have no idea now looking back, its where like legend of Zelda, you must hit all switches with your sword to open a gate, and the switches deactivate in a time limit if you dont activate all of them at once.

Luyren

There's probably stuff to assist in achieving that, but the concept you mention does not depend on anything from the kit.
Working.

tabletop

Im Counting down until the imaginary day this is released again on forge

squeeb

Me too haha. But. Making one myself now... so months from now I'll have it available.. and so you know.. Forge is closed for uploads... but there are places to download behaviors in the forums

tabletop

Yeah this kit was one of the very few things that stuck true to one of Stencyl's original appeal in 2007 of Kits of more complex game types. Stuff like this kits old version and the cut scene Maker long stopped working once 3.0 came out

Its kinda like ingenious how if every type of Physical translation and collision is covered with a proper way to set x y offsets and animation control, anything becomes possible:

For a playable character, once you have:

O. A projectile that can home (Could become anything from fireball spells, missles, or even sending Health orbs to other Actors)
O. A projectile that shoots forward and either has gravity or no gravity ( Gun, Bow, Throw able rock, or even a grenade with an after image that is an explosion).
O. The ability to spawn an actor that hurts enemies (Could become anything from lightning from sky to Rock coming out of the ground)
O.  A way to Spawn an actor to damage enemies right infront of you (Any melee attack  is possible based on art and collision)
O. A Way to sequence attacks together so that the same button pressed repeatedly has different results (Zelda like combo).
O. A way to hit a button to Translate the character accross X or Y axis, and hurt enemies on collision in varying directional attacks (Can become Rolling, teleporting, Dashing, a Sliding punch, Falcon Kicking etc).
O....
O....
O...
and so on

That is why this kit is the most powerful thing on the market place right now for game making.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:38:20 am by tabletop »

squeeb

like I do not understand why nobody wants to sell Kits for a price in any game making program, since many consumers do not care about programming we want to make either a side scrolling or top down game with varieties of AIs and premade programmed menus/ways to create moves/attacks/ gameplay based on sample variety. 

Like nothing called a game maker is actually a game maker, besides Stencyl because of all the premade content to modify and merge already here for Atleast platformer games and Puzzle/physics games. There is no way to make a bigger game with cutscenes, dialogue, action gameplay without tooth and nailing for too long without kits like this.

I am very good at turning for example, sample engines with premade content and AI into 9999 other things. But I cant program for shit.  I bet most people can create 100 different enemy varieties and Boss fight varieties in a game given only 3 Sample full fledged AIs.

I agree.. I just started making kits and behaviors and moving to extensions.. and I have a little stencyl store starting.. kits are what I'm working towards...

Also I am the same way haha.  I used to take engines and open-source projects and frankencoding things together to create many things from one thing.. I slowly wanted more and taught myself coding .. still in the process becasue it's not formal learning .. trial and error and reading is how I'm doing it.. I try and break what someone made... and no then I try and fix it again to learn what the different code does

tabletop

Indeed.

And literally the same thing goes for AI.

O. Once you have one stick figure Sample AI enemy actor that is capable of pulling off most of the abilities that mirror the Player.  The user can then work with ways to modify an intelligent fighting game styled AI opponent, or literally delete parts of the complete AI's options until the enemy is reduced to a simple monster that can only walk toward you and preform a single attack.

tabletop

any status update