Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

RPG Platformer Kit

Luyren

Hey Luyren,

Are you able to (briefly) explain how to create a 'list' in Stencyl?
It doesn't appear to be in the docs anywhere here. Who knows why.

I need to use them for a simple Point n Click adventure. (explanation here)

thanks so much :)

Since it's a bit unrelated to the kit itself, you could have sent me a PM. No worries though. :D

Anyway, "lists" are just a type of attribute. You create an attribute, select list as its type, and you're done. For doing stuff with lists, you have to use the blocks under Attributes > Lists.
Working.

Luyren

Damage type resistance is now handle by a different behavior. You can now add modifiers to the damage types, as well as timers for these modifiers. Essentialy, the same thing I did for the character status. Attached is the new behavior.

I have a few more items in my TO DO list before uploading a newer version. If you do need these features for your current project, let me know and I'll upload it.

Just to give you an idea of what's left:

-Separate all status conditions behaviors
-Temporary modifiers for status resistance
-Health (absorb damage)
-Pick up that modify status
-Pick up to add damage resistance
-Pick up that modifies status resistance
-Add damage resistance/weakness for Equip Armor/Weapon
-Add status resistance for Equip Armor/Weapon
-Critical Hit for the attack behaviors
-Skills that are not cancelable when receiving damage
-Perhaps some buff type sample skills

I'll also upload later a resource pack with all the RPG Elements behaviors. After all this is done, I'll start working on sample content.

Working.

tabletop

I havent been here in awhile, starting to get back into stencyl. Just checked out this kit again and it seems to have a damage oriented glitch where theres an error message when attacked by the sample turret.

-Another suggestion maybe is to allow an attack that the damage decreases by a multiple each time from maybe a projectile. For example, like the first enemy a bullet collides with maybe does 10 damage,  it might do 8 to the one behind it, 6, 4, etc. for a certain number of enemies.

Luyren

I havent been here in awhile, starting to get back into stencyl. Just checked out this kit again and it seems to have a damage oriented glitch where theres an error message when attacked by the sample turret.

-Another suggestion maybe is to allow an attack that the damage decreases by a multiple each time from maybe a projectile. For example, like the first enemy a bullet collides with maybe does 10 damage,  it might do 8 to the one behind it, 6, 4, etc. for a certain number of enemies.
Fixed. For your suggestion, you just have to make a variation of the pierce damage behavior to handle that. It's not a behavior generic enough to be included in the kit, I think.

I'm getting a little issue with the reupload. I'll get back at you when I get a response.
Working.

tabletop

sounds good lmao. Im completely lost on how spells work too since those good old stickman from the past arent in the kit anymore.

Luyren

sounds good lmao. Im completely lost on how spells work too since those good old stickman from the past arent in the kit anymore.

Don't worry about that. I'm working with Strasteo to provide sample graphics for the kit.
Working.

tabletop

Good lol. I honestly feel your kit when its complete will be the gateway to "high quality games" for the general public since its the only thing that can cater to battles and adventure and complex rpg elements.

Maybe you and your partner could like sell it even lol once it gets big.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 08:44:54 am by tabletop »

Swag

Hey Luyren, just wanted to say great job so far and I bet a shitload of people are thankful for your kit :D

Also, the kit still seems to be glitched when downloaded. If you ues the 'Play Now!' function, it works fine, but when testing it after I downloaded it, it crashes when the player is hit.

Luyren

Hey Luyren, just wanted to say great job so far and I bet a shitload of people are thankful for your kit :D

Also, the kit still seems to be glitched when downloaded. If you ues the 'Play Now!' function, it works fine, but when testing it after I downloaded it, it crashes when the player is hit.
Nice to know there are people looking forward to use it!

Real life is starting to slow down progress. I just want to tell you guys two things:

First: I already got the new graphics for the template actor. I'll try to import them by saturday, and reupload the kit with recent fixes. I made some arrangements with Strasteo, he is contribuing with a part of the graphics.

Second: Just to show you what I'm working on currently. Check the attached image. It's based on Greg's idea of using sensors, and "a scene behavior to rule them all". But I like to do things my way, hence I'm rolling my own solution, same way I did the basic platforming behaviors based on Greg's old behaviors (and again, a HUGE thanks to Greg for comming up with the idea). It doesn't have some of the fancy options Greg's RP has (slowdown, zoom in), and I still have to finish my dialog behavior and add some more event types. With this, I got a nice introduction cutscene for my side-project. The cutscene is saved, and don't play again.

That's it for now. Wish me luck.
Working.

SWATLLAMA

Good luck.
I'm only doing what you told me to do XD: ) :D
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

tabletop

This new cutscene behavior looks really good interesting, but what is the benefit of using this with your kit instead of downloading gregs RP and using it with your kit? Does this specifically cater to things in the kit or such?

Luyren

This new cutscene behavior looks really good interesting, but what is the benefit of using this with your kit instead of downloading gregs RP and using it with your kit? Does this specifically cater to things in the kit or such?

The only thing kit specific is the event to stop the controls of the actor. I just did this because I want to know how everything works in my games. And there are only two cutscene behaviors in the whole kit, so if you want to use Greg's pack, you just have to delete them and download the pack.
Working.

Luyren

Updated, on Forge:

-Options in the attack behaviors to have different bullets/damagers for different weapons.
-Cutscene behaviors.
-Fixed the bug with dealing damage on collision and the Equip Armor/Weapon bug.
-Added the new sample actor. He'll get new actions as Strasteo finish the graphics. It's just the silhouette of the sprite. We don't want people "stealing" Strasteo's sprites, since this actor will be used in our next project, but he agreed on letting me use the silhouette for this.

And other minor things.
Working.

tabletop

The walking backwards and direction facing changes are actually quite positive, they remind me of the 3D legend of zelda Z-targeting system. Maybe for this kit there could be a way to only make that "walk backwards" kinda stuff happen when your near an enemy or hit a certain button to target closest enemy/actor or such?

Luyren

The walking backwards and direction facing changes are actually quite positive, they remind me of the 3D legend of zelda Z-targeting system. Maybe for this kit there could be a way to only make that "walk backwards" kinda stuff happen when your near an enemy or hit a certain button to target closest enemy/actor or such?

That could be interesting.

Oh, as a heads up, this kind of motion is entirely optional.
Working.