photoshop vs. illistrator

1MrPaul1

Photoshop for photo editing, flash for flash animation, illustrator mostly for print design. You can't compare this tools. If talking about what is better, better is make actors in illustrator, than animate it in flash, than render in photoshop. But it's all very expensive, and if choose only one tool, photoshop is better, coz there you can make photo editing, easy make great vector drawings, and make cool animations. In last editions you can even make and render 3D objects. But make vector drawings in flash it's just a nightmare, also, make animation or photo editing in illustrator it's a nightmare too. So. If choose only one tool, better choose photoshop

Hectate

When it comes to vector graphics I turn to Inkscape and I still can't get the hang of it - I can't adapt to its workflow. On the other hand, I feel extremely comfortable with Fireworks' vector tool (!), which wasn't designed for vector graphics only.
Interestingly, I learned to create artwork on a computer first with Corel Draw (which is all vector) before every using a bitmap editor (initially Corel Paint, of course). I suspect that's why I've been able to pick up the nuances of Inkscape fairly easily; it's very similar. I do, however, really like some of the features of Corel Draw X3 that Inkscape doesn't have yet...
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Photics

Illustrator is not crap at all, it's just a very specific tool. It's the best thing out there for vector art, and it's way better for text layout and graphic design than Photoshop (though not as good as InDesign, obvs, but there's a very steep learning curve there).

I've been using Flash and Illustrator a lot recently. For drawing, I prefer Flash over Illustrator… because I can easily draw a shape and then fill in areas with color… even if my lines don't perfectly connect.

Also… Pixelmator added vector graphics with version 2.0. Pixelmator is the Mac App Store app of the year. It's not cheap to buy Photoshop and Illustrator. But with Pixelmator, I can get fairly close to the features of both… but at a fraction of the price. I have CS4 and it's quite expensive to upgrade to CS5.5… even with the recent sale. But with Pixelmator, I got the 2.0 upgrade for free!
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)

brantsmith

Illustrator is not crap at all, it's just a very specific tool. It's the best thing out there for vector art, and it's way better for text layout and graphic design than Photoshop (though not as good as InDesign, obvs, but there's a very steep learning curve there).

However, if you're not doing vector based art or simple graphic design (and you're probably not) you really have no reason to use it. If you're trying to make pixel art, specifically, you really have no reason to use it. It just doesn't do that.

As to the question at hand: I would say if you don't understand the difference between Photoshop and Illustrator, you probably shouldn't be buying either.

First of all, Im Not dumb. And I have been using GIMP to make graphics for my games for a long time already .Ive been programming for around 4 years now. (programming includes actionscript projects using flash professional and flash Builder, HTML/CSS website design, a little Visual Basic. I have also designed graphics for a couple of clients. I was just asking you guys opinion on which would be better for both game designing, assisting with making graphics for websites, And for creating graphics for the people that would like me to do that. I have used both, but I was wanting to get your opinion. I kinda figured I would get photoshop beforehand, and you guys have pretty much confirmed that. Thanks for the help!
Coding is Awesome.
Stencyl is Better.

thechaosengine

I use both, don't make me choose :(

Illustrator gives me more control over basic shapes and it's less destructive, so I usually start out there and then kick it into Photoshop for the finishing touches.

I love Photoshop for pixel art but I don't often hear people sharing that sentiment, so YMMV.

brantsmith

Actually, it turns out im getting the whole Adobe Creative Suite!! So i will have both photoshop and illustrator.
Coding is Awesome.
Stencyl is Better.