Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

New Game Demo

JeffreyDriver

Here's a new project I'm working on and would appreciate feedback on what I've got so far.

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/35759

At the moment there's just three levels, but there will be 25 in total. All 25 levels are available, but it's still a work in progress.

For testing purposes there's a cheat. Press C on the upgrades screen to get upgrade stars.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 06:59:26 am by JeffreyDriver »
Current Project - www.stencyl.com/game/play/36062 (Retro Redux Mobile).
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.

www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

trl0731

I gave it a go, and I liked it overall! Here's my rundown;

Pros:
- Fun!
- There were a lot of upgrades to get
- The game challenges me well enough in a good way
- Graphics are fun (I like how the the bumpers change colors when hit)

Cons:
- Upgrades needed to be manually selected after purchased
- I'm not exactly sure how upgrades work, what currency I am using
- In the main menu, it doesn't seem to track the gold stars I got from Level 3
- I didn't really understand how everything worked, I know there were the hints & tips and I know this is an early demo, but I think it needs to show me how everything works more, rather than telling me

Again, I think it's on track to be a fun, great experience!
A college student running a small, five-person game development studio. Check out our antics on our website!
Check out our latest game, Pocket Change!
Email me: thomas.liffick@prodigygames.org

JeffreyDriver

Thanks for the feedback! Very useful

1. Fixed the upgrades issue
2. A new tutorial and mouse-over text should now explain everything
3. Fixed
4. Fixed in point 2. or at least I hope I've covered everything.

www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

merrak

Pretty nifty overall. This seems like the kind of game I'd want to play for just a few minutes at a time, so the fewer screens and steps between launching the game and the action there are, the better. I thought it was enjoyable.

Some observations:
If I weren't already familiar with Plinko, I'd be lost. The tutorial goes into details too soon before the general gameplay. Do you even need a tutorial? Why not just drop the player right into level one. When they collect their first upgrade star, then lead them to the upgrade menu. Most of the upgrades seem simple enough that a well-designed icon should be sufficient to explain what it does.

There's no point in having a level select screen when there's only one level unlocked. So that's another screen you can skip in the early stage of the game.

I don't like the idea of a panic button. In my opinion, if the ball gets stuck on a "normal" structure, that's a fault in the level design. However, traps that are clearly such would be an interesting addition. Traps should be obvious, like a bucket, lava, etc. Losing a life feels fair that way.

Also a bug--sometimes it seems like I click to drop the ball and I lose a life or two.

ceosol

Check out Paplinko by Game Circus. The feel of their plinko style is very nice. It might give you an idea of where to take your game.

JeffreyDriver

Pretty nifty overall. This seems like the kind of game I'd want to play for just a few minutes at a time, so the fewer screens and steps between launching the game and the action there are, the better. I thought it was enjoyable.

Some observations:
If I weren't already familiar with Plinko, I'd be lost. The tutorial goes into details too soon before the general gameplay. Do you even need a tutorial? Why not just drop the player right into level one. When they collect their first upgrade star, then lead them to the upgrade menu. Most of the upgrades seem simple enough that a well-designed icon should be sufficient to explain what it does.

There's no point in having a level select screen when there's only one level unlocked. So that's another screen you can skip in the early stage of the game.

I don't like the idea of a panic button. In my opinion, if the ball gets stuck on a "normal" structure, that's a fault in the level design. However, traps that are clearly such would be an interesting addition. Traps should be obvious, like a bucket, lava, etc. Losing a life feels fair that way.

Also a bug--sometimes it seems like I click to drop the ball and I lose a life or two.

Thanks. You make some good points. I'm in two minds about the tutorial. I've kept it as short as possible, but I'll bear in mind what you've said.

I also see your point about the ball getting stuck. There are places on some levels where it's designed to get stuck. The ball size upgrade is there to help prevent it, and other specials should be able to shift a stuck ball. The panic button is an absolute last resort. It's still a work-in-progress though.

As for the bug, thanks for letting me know.

www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

JeffreyDriver

Check out Paplinko by Game Circus. The feel of their plinko style is very nice. It might give you an idea of where to take your game.

Will do. Thanks.

www.jeffreydriver.co.uk