Fan made TtTE game/train logic

agk2117

I'm trying to make a fan made game about Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends. I want to run it to my personal website. It's going to be called Sodor Demolition Derby or something. Basically, the concept of the game is simply playing as the engine of your choice trying to crash into/derail your engine opponents. I want to know, first of all, if there's a way to choose your player, and maybe even your opponent. Or if you can even play multiplayer like a fighting game. No game score needed; just reckless fun making the engines of Sodor meet their demise. (My friend came up with the idea.)
Another thing that ties in with everything else is trying to describe the logic or behaviors of the game. For instance, they can only run back and forth on rails in a straight line (backwards and forwards instead of turning around on their own.) For the tender engines, I decided to make their tenders a separate actor, but how do I get them to follow the engines wherever they go without collision?  You know, like how in certain games some NPCs will follow you around, like Pikachu in Pokemon Yellow?
As far as the events go, where do I start and how? I just have too many questions. I just want everyone to get a picture my idea and help me out.

ceosol

I want to know, first of all, if there's a way to choose your player, and maybe even your opponent.

Easy way is to make a list of opponents and have the select cycle through the list. Alternatively, have a bunch of actors for the selection process and have a number game attribute indicate whichever actor was selected.

Or if you can even play multiplayer like a fighting game. No game score needed; just reckless fun making the engines of Sodor meet their demise. (My friend came up with the idea.)

Yes, also requires work on your part to set it up however you want it to go.

Another thing that ties in with everything else is trying to describe the logic or behaviors of the game. For instance, they can only run back and forth on rails in a straight line (backwards and forwards instead of turning around on their own.) For the tender engines, I decided to make their tenders a separate actor, but how do I get them to follow the engines wherever they go without collision? 

Your best bet is using math instead of collisions.

As far as the events go, where do I start and how? I just have too many questions. I just want everyone to get a picture my idea and help me out.

I would not start on this game. All you are doing is setting yourself up for failure. Begin by making small prototypes of various mechanics. For instance, you can make an entire game prototype of just having actors move forward and backward how you want. Most of us are happy to help out. However, you are asking us to make the entire game for you. If this is the case, you might have better luck going to the paid work forum and hiring a tutor or contracting out the programming.

agk2117

Thanks a ton for the feedback. I really needed it. Although I wanted to point out that 1) I have never been good at math and 2) I have actually started working on at least 2 original side projects using mostly the sample games and looking at how they are is configured. It's helping me start to understand the processes a bit better, but I still have a long way to go. As for the Sodor Demolition Derby, that's obviously going to be more of long term goal, but I thought it would be nice to have some help going step by step along the way. Is there maybe a video tutorial or two? Again, I'm new to most of these programing terms as I am a newb  :P

ceosol

There are videos for the most basic games - top down rpgs, possibly card games, platformers, and some basic game mechanics. I highly doubt you will find a video tutorial for making a multiplayer train demolition derby game. Your best bet is to play around with the stencyl blocks and see how each one affects the game/actors. I constantly use draw blocks to see how attributes/speeds/positions are changing in real time.

I and a few others tutor in Stencyl. If you want to try one or two 1-hour tutoring sessions, you could get a lot of instruction for starting out.

agk2117

That sounds great! Only, do I have to pay for these services? Because at the moment I'm trying to save up money. I guess if I'm not able to figure it out on my own I'll consider it. Thanks for the offer anyway!
BTW I already figured out what to do about the tenders. It's just going to take much more work.