Tilesets and Scene Designer issues

wishy

Hi Guys,

So I'm trying to figure out the best way to manage my tilesets. Once I have initially imported a tileset and start building scenes with them, I'd like to be able to 'safely' update the tileset without issue.

Currently, I am finding that if I change the image created externally from Stencyl, if I attempt to 'reimport' it, the process adds a copy of the latest image to the existing tileset, doubling the number of tiles instead of 'overwriting' the existing ones.

Additionally, if I go ahead with my additional import and remove the older tiles from the tileset (ensuring that my newly imported image uses the exact same columns and rows  as the previous image used.. hopefully to replace the older versions), any scenes that used the old tiles from the tileset disappear.

To make things even more confusing, if I test a scene with missing tiles due to the borked import/update of my tileset, the scene renders with the old tiles as if nothing had happened.. but now my scene and the scene designer are displaying two different things!

Can anyone advise a best practice for managing tileset with regards to updating the imported image or updating the tiles to ensure that the scene designer picks up on the updated tileset and updates scenes accordingly? I've read the stencylpedia which hints at this ability but does elaborate on how.

Cheers
Paul

Justin

(1st button) Tiles are added to the existing set if you use the icon with the green plus. It seems like this is what you've been using so far.

(2nd button) If you've already modified the tileset in an external editor, you can use the icon with the blue arrow to replace existing tiles instead of adding new ones.

(3rd button) If you haven't made any changes yet, but you wish to, you can use the icon with the pencil to open the tileset in the external image editor you've set as your default in Stencyl's settings. When you save the image in the external editor, it will automatically update in Stencyl.

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)

wishy

Thank you so much!

But those buttons don't appear in Stencyl for me.. guess I'm using an older version of Stencyl, time to upgrade!

wishy

So I've confirmed this as working after upgrading Stencyl to 3.4.

Thank you for your reply Justin

Cheers
Paul