Pixel Art Thread

Unept

Irock: Are those... pumpkin organs? o_o  I love the ambience of your cabin/boat mockups.

Photon: I really like the background, but the P looks a bit problematic, I'm thinking it needs sharper lines. Maybe find a different font face for an italicized 'P' and start from there? Just a thought.
Unicycle Hero: iOS  |  Level With Me: iOS/Android  |  Hue Ball: iOS/Android  |  Lava Bird: iOS/Android   |   Disposabot   |   Twitter

Photon

@Unept: Are you talking about the black outline of the P?
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

Unept

Ya, specifically the oval part.
Unicycle Hero: iOS  |  Level With Me: iOS/Android  |  Hue Ball: iOS/Android  |  Lava Bird: iOS/Android   |   Disposabot   |   Twitter

Photon

Hmm, I tried to give it just a slight 3D effect. Maybe its not working...

Do you think it looks too blocky? Is that what you mean by not sharp enough?

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:03:40 pm by Photon »
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

Photon

Gorilla robot thing appeared!!!

Another product of me trying to hone pixel art skills. Stuck with grays and what have you for this one.

Unept

Hmm, I tried to give it just a slight 3D effect. Maybe its not working...

Do you think it looks too blocky? Is that what you mean by not sharp enough?

I think the black 3D part is fine, I think it's just the style of letter that you chose, perhaps? See the attached image for a style I would find more suitable, more squarish I guess. It's probably just my taste, and I'm never comfortable giving anyone advice on their art since I have such a long way to go. ;)

irock

Irock: Are those... pumpkin organs? o_o
They are indeed organs, but they're not his. He does expel them from his mouth, however.

squirened

Here's an enemy sprite from my upcoming game.

Despite being educational in nature, it's not necessarily aimed at a juvenile audience.

The creature itself is the sort of bogeymen that parents tell their children about; reasons not to go out alone at night. Driven out of the earth by the Shattering, Profanities lure their victims with enticing gifts. They are sentient, but wholly malevolent, inspired by Lovecraft and an intense fear of the dark. It's not final as it'll go in game, but it's the final "pixel" stage before I go over it with a shading Overlay layer in GIMP (I use black or white pixels to determine the final shading on certain elements, technically hand-pixeled, but I know that filters are frowned upon by pixel art purists).

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:55:29 pm by squirened »

mikeylow

Here's a few small sequences from one of my characters i made
some awesome stuff in this topic btw, too much to mention , but man very nice and inspiring :D

Just curious btw, which programs do you all use to make pixel art? (i use paint.NET) Still looking for a better program to make the animations in though (something preferably with onion skinning)

mikeylow

@Raiyumi, I like your little warrior dude.

@GregAnims, thanks for the feedback. I've been pretty unsure about the art direction. Here's the latest.

FEEDBACK PLEASE, STENCYLERS! (If this post is better suited in my own "devlog" thread, let me know)

The art direction looks awesome! Can't wait to see this in action :)

rob1221

They are indeed organs, but they're not his. He does expel them from his mouth, however
Sounds like an evil version of Kirby.

Photon

So here's a new one I thought I would share so I could get some feedback. I tried hard on this one and... some interesting things came to my attention. You can see the progression below, as well as the palette I used.

1.) I started with a basic human shape. I feel I can work better when I have something really basic to work off of, whether it be an outline or circle or whatever. That's probably nothing new, but its so easy to just want to attack it without any method.

2.) From there, I gave it a little more personality, making the outline into more of a trenchcoat outfit. I added a collar to it, defined some gloves, and decided I wanted a bit wider head for greater detail later.

3.) Started adding color. I decided to focus the initial palette around the purple color I put on the trenchcoat. Another interesting thing is how I ended up not using straight black and straight white at the end of my ramps; I liked how they were less intense and didn't pop so much. I also used some peach/brownish progression to split between the shoes and skin color.

4.) Started changing some of the outline colors. This is where I hue-shifted my purple towards blue and used that for the outline of the coat, and I was mildly surprised at how well it turned out. I had tried a couple other things, but this looked the best to my eye. Also outlined the shoes and head differently (as well as gave the head more of a chin); the fill color of the shoes is the same as the outline color of the head, FYI. That's good color usage, right?

5.) This is where the main touches came in terms of shading and detail. I've noticed just how versatile your grays can be. I combined these with some other colors to put some shading on the coat, and I saw how grays can blend in and look like the colors around it... at least it did enough to me, anyway. Added eyes and hair as well and shaded the legs, arms, gloves, and shoes.

6.) Put in some sci-fi touches at the end there, changed a little bit of the shading on the coat, and made the eyes a soft green.

Feedback and constructive criticism welcome!

squirened

Looks good! I like how you managed to put in the color to the eyes without making it overpowering.

My only caution would be that if the green is supposed to be neon lighting, you should make the green pixels slightly brighter than they would otherwise be; as is it looks almost like it's just decoration (like tape, for instance), rather than lights.

Hectate

He reminds me of the guy from the Shadowrun SNES game. Good job!
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Photon

He reminds me of the guy from the Shadowrun SNES game. Good job!
Can't say I've heard of that game... what is it?