Lives-1 results in infinitely decreasing number?

magicpegasus

Hi, I'm having trouble with something I thought would be simple. I'm trying to lose a life. I have lives as a game attribute and a scene behavior that loses a life when it hears a message from the main actor. Instead of losing one life, however, the lives just continue to count down into the negatives. I've attached a picture, please help!
Thanks,
MP

rob1221

The behavior that sends the message "youfailed" may be executing too often.

Ceric

Can you show the behavior that sends the "youfailed" message? That's where the problem would be.

magicpegasus

I think I understand. The behavior block that sends "youfailed" is enclosed in "always". I've attached a picture. What is the best way to fix it?
Thanks you!

rob1221

Something like this should work.

magicpegasus

I tried the above and got the same result. Is there a block on Forge for losing/gaining lives? I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I attached the latest code and a swf of the game.
-MP

rob1221

The timed task will still run repeatedly.  Set "has died" to true just outside of the time block, not inside.  Compare to the image I posted earlier.

magicpegasus

Thank you so much! That worked. I didn't understand that the "do after" blocks were continuous. It seems like they shouldn't be, but I guess after a certain point is continuous, and that point is finite. It would be cool if there was "do once after" or something.