Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

In you opinion, what would be the best way to start writing up a video game?

fillergames

As a rather weak, novice writer myself, I'd like to hear what you'd think would be the best way to write up something for a game.

merrak

Do you mean writing as in story, etc., or writing code?

fillergames

Story writing.

Should have added some context about that, sorry!

ceosol

I know it is not the same thing, but coming from a science perspective - just write everything that comes to mind down. I describe it as word vomit on paper. Even if you write the same sentence down a second (or third time), don't even worry and continue.

Once you have every single random thought written down, you can start arranging them. Don't even delete things at this point. Put the ones that done fall into a certain "slot" at the end of the document. You can always come back to them later or make them into sub-quest stories.

Now you should have bullet points of the major events in the storyline. Start fleshing them out and adding in 5-10 bullet points for what happens in each moment. The key up until this point is to now bog yourself down with getting everything perfect.  After that, you can do the real refining and filling in gaps.

merrak

You may need to try a lot of different approaches until you find something that works for you. I think Ceosol's approach is a good one--I've done that before.

My usual approach, though, is different. I start with an experience I want the reader/player/etc. to have. (This doesn't have to be the ending, BTW) A key component of a good story is to make it and its characters believable. What would put the character in their particular position? What are their motivations? What about their world is influencing them? Basically, I'm building a character up, and the story comes out of the explanations for why they are the way they are and why they are in the situation they're in.