Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Steam Greenlight Being Replaced

rob1221

http://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/558846854614253751

Valve is planning to end Steam Greenlight this spring and replace it with a more direct process where the main barrier will be a per-game submission fee.  I'm going to predict that despite the fee, the rate of games going onto Steam will increase.  I haven't found any info about what will happen with current and future Greenlight games.  Maybe they'll greenlight everything soon or maybe they'll stop all greenlighting and tell devs to wait for the new system.  Regardless, I'm not looking forward to this change.

Update on Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/discussions/18446744073709551615/133256758580075301/

So games will still be greenlit up until a couple weeks before the new system.  Also, any developers who have no greenlit games by that time can get a refund on their $100 greenlight fee (which they can then spend on the new fee  :P).

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:45:04 pm by rob1221 »

LIBERADO

@rob1221, is this good news? Do you think small indie developers will still be able to earn a decent amount of money with that "Steam Direct" system?
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

rob1221

Is this good news?
It's good for devs who want to get onto Steam as soon as they can (assuming they can pay whatever the fee is), but I don't think it will be good for visibility of new indie games on Steam.

Do you think small indie developers will still be able to earn a decent amount of money?
Indie devs will likely be dealing with an increase in competition as well as losing some money to the new Steam fees unless they earn back the fee for every game (Valve hasn't gone into detail about that yet).

ceosol

It is a mixed view. It also means that you won't get spammed with new games because developers will need to assess whether or not they want to spend the money on their current game.

LIBERADO

But the games will not be subjected to quality control. And that seems negative.

KramerGames

I've read through it and it seems horrible to me. If the only barrier now is money, there will be less original content and more games that are successful because of the marketing budget behind them.
Parasites United  (Idle Parasite Game)

LIBERADO

I'm afraid so. It is horrible.

rob1221

One possible reason for Steam Direct is to ensure a minimum amount of money that Steam receives for each game.  As the number of games on the store increases, so will the number of games that make very little money for both the devs and Steam.  This change ensures that Steam gets paid a minimum amount even if a game doesn't sell at all.

NobodyX

Oh great, something that won't really affect the ones that make hits that don't need any help, but that will harm everyone else that's struggling, and will give the giant company valve even more money that individual creators should be getting.

I think with other things that are so incredibly easy to use (from both the creator and player sides) like itch.io by people who are much much much less greedy, maybe devs should stop putting their things on steam and train players to be fine with buying games elsewhere.
“If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT.”
― Frank Zappa

Justin

FWIW I don't think Valve is hurting for money enough to make a decision like this for that reason. I assume they honestly want to make their customers happier, but whether this somehow achieves that or not is another question entirely.

For Live Support: Join our discord channel and ping me @justin.

rob1221

I think with other things that are so incredibly easy to use (from both the creator and player sides) like itch.io by people who are much much much less greedy, maybe devs should stop putting their things on steam and train players to be fine with buying games elsewhere.
Itch.io sales don't even come close to Steam sales though because Steam is where most of the PC gamers are.  Even if really popular games were made Itch.io exclusive (which won't happen), gamers would just use both Steam and Itch.io rather than using Itch.io exclusively.

On a site note, here is Itch.io's response to Steam Direct: https://itch.io/direct

gurigraphics

FWIW I don't think Valve is hurting for money enough to make a decision like this for that reason. I assume they honestly want to make their customers happier, but whether this somehow achieves that or not is another question entirely.

I agree. Money is a result of audience, satisfaction and engagement.

Pay to send, the objective should be decreases the number of game submissions.
To, at least, not become a platform of "zombie apps" like Google Play
https://thenextweb.com/google/2017/02/08/millions-apps-soon-purged-google-play-store/

However, it's as they said above, a "standard quality" can solve the problem of "zombie games". But, others indie games that no "buy success with ads", also end up being considered zombies, scrap, waste.

The result of this is the developers will prefer create the "standard games" that they want advertise in front pages.

With this, all return again to the problem of clones, similar games, etc. The games only become "quality zombies".  :D

NobodyX

Itch.io sales don't even come close to Steam sales though because Steam is where most of the PC gamers are.  Even if really popular games were made Itch.io exclusive (which won't happen), gamers would just use both Steam and Itch.io rather than using Itch.io exclusively.
I know it's a losing battle but it doesn't mean that there shouldn't at least be an effort. I try not to fall into a "nothing will make a difference, why even try?" mentality.
“If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT.”
― Frank Zappa

NobodyX

I agree for sure that it's more about curating than trying to get more money via fees, the problem is it seems like a pretty clear signal that if you're struggling or not making massive hits then they don't particularly care about you.
― Frank Zappa

gurigraphics

I know it's a losing battle but it doesn't mean that there shouldn't at least be an effort. I try not to fall into a "nothing will make a difference, why even try?" mentality.

Itch.io it's good to test and develop an idea before Steam or launch.

Example:
https://madguy.itch.io/streets-of-rogue
http://store.steampowered.com/app/512900

The way is to seek to make the best game possible for a well-defined audience.
Focus on a single game, rather than several, for get more quality.
And let it all go its natural way. More than that is much sand for our truck.