Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Steam Greenlight Being Replaced

milkstache

Direct is meant to weed out those completely terrible devs that just buy kits after kits and spam greenlight and buy votes with giveaways somewhere offsite. A higher price tag won't make steam any richer if they wanted money they would just let any game through since they make money off of the game and trading cards and anything the dev makes they get a cut of it.To me it seems like they want to increase quality and they'll try to do that by increasing the paywall you have to jump before you get on steam. I don't know if this will be the best way to accomplish the goal but I do believe there will be internal quality control after paying the fee and before publishing on the store and I think that if this way thnigs don't work out they'll find another way of getting the good indie games out there.

rob1221

I don't see the pay wall of Steam Direct being more effective than the time-based approval process of Greenlight at keeping out the devs you're referring to.  If they can make an average profit per game, then they will gladly push dozens or even hundreds of games onto Steam.

KramerGames

Out of curiosity, I uploaded a game on twitch, playable as flash in the browser. It got 14 views, while it got 30k on Kongregate. My guess is that the ratio of players to developers is a lot worse on itch.io. They seem to be very generous and helpful towards Indie-Developers, hence attracting many of them.
Does anyone here have experience with itch.io (assuming this isn't too muc off-topic? I guess it still relates to steam)
Parasites United  (Idle Parasite Game)

rob1221

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/15/steam-new-releases/

According to that article, Valve has just made the full list of new releases more difficult to find.  I wonder if this is because they expect a lot of new games to be submitted when Steam Direct goes live.

EDIT: After looking at my store page visit stats, this probably isn't a big deal for devs as "New on Steam - All New Releases Tab" accounts for only 0.27% of my store page visits.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 07:03:36 pm by rob1221 »

1MrPaul1

This new rules are against new  young developers for sure. They trying to increase the quality of the content  on steam by removing "not serious" developers, who made simple  stupid games for themselves.

Bombini

Does anyone have experience with Desura vs Steam vs Itch.io btw?

rob1221

The Desura store doesn't exist anymore, and I have a single sale total on Itch.io where the same game on Steam has daily sales higher than that.

EDIT: I took a look at Greenlight to see if the new submissions increased a lot since the announcement.  I see about 4 pages of games (30 games per page) from Feb 1-9.  I see about 11 pages of games from Feb 10-16.  I think it's safe to say that the chances of being greenlit just dropped dramatically assuming Valve doesn't increase their rate of greenlighting games.  I know I'll have at least one game that can be submitted to Greenlight in the future but I don't know if I want to bother at this point.  It will depend on what new information Valve has in the coming days.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 07:39:34 pm by rob1221 »

rob1221

I haven't seen any new info about Steam Direct yet but here's an interview with some of the Steam team.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atwE-K8y-ws&

They didn't like how unpredictable Greenlight was for devs and it became less useful over time as the votes went way down.  For Steam Direct they intend the fee to deter "joke or nefarious" games, but they're not concerned at all about the number of games on the store or their quality as long as the Steam algorithms can match the right games with the right players.

LIBERADO

...they're not concerned at all about the number of games on the store or their quality as long as the Steam algorithms can match the right games with the right players.
I am skeptical about this strange concept. We will see what is the true result of Steam Direct.
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

rob1221

Steam needs data from players for their algorithms to figure out what to do with the games, but more games on Steam leads to a lower baseline visibility which means less data for Steam to work with.  One of the changes in discoverability update 2.0 that Valve avoided discussing as much as possible was the loss of 3.5 million home page impressions that devs used to be guaranteed per game (1m on launch and 2.5m for updates).  The fee will slow down the rate of new games, but I think the end result is something similar to the mobile stores even if it takes much longer to get there.

rob1221

It's been over 7 weeks since the initial Steam Direct announcement but the details (price, date, etc.) have not been announced yet.  I suspect that is because of the changes coming to Steam in the future which were recently discussed with Totalbiscuit and Jim Sterling during their visit to Valve HQ.  A lot of the discussion was about ways to increase discoverability for good games while decreasing discoverability to what Valve referred to as "fake games".  Improvements to curators, a new "Steam Explorers" feature, and improvements in Steam's algorithms are things that Valve is planning, but there are no time estimates given.  Maybe some of the changes will be ready for Steam Direct though.

(Totalbiscuit) I will now talk about my visit to Valve and the future of Steam for about an hour.
(Jim Sterling) Talking Steam... Directly (The Jimquisition)

Also here's a series of tweets about the video from the owner of Steamspy: https://twitter.com/i/moments/848718149990191108

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 01:20:50 pm by rob1221 »

LIBERADO

A lot of the discussion was about ways to increase discoverability for good games while decreasing discoverability to what Valve referred to as "fake games".
This sounds good. We'll see what happens.
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

Donni11

I'm annoyed at Valve for  bringing up Steam direct. Now we have to pay $100-$5000 for each game we release, plus the revenue percent collects off our games. Ridiculous.(edited)
The greenlit fee let you publish what ever you want and it went to charity. Are the constant fee's of Steam direct going to charity? Most likely not.(edited)
If Steam does this they will just loses their devs. They will all go to itch.io, and so will the gamers.....
The Stencyl Discord Channel , Where the real Stencyl work happens ;).

rob1221

They'll only go to itch.io if they can't afford the Steam Direct fee (which will be on the lower end according to Jim Sterling's video).  For me, I don't see the fee being high enough to deter me from publishing more games on Steam.