Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Steam Greenlight Being Replaced (June 13)

Donni11

What I think Steam should do is the following:

1. Valve should create a team which their job is to only work on the Steam operations.
2. Charge $100 ( one time ) to become a Steam Developer.
3. When submitting application to get your software published Steam has to approve it ( to make sure its not a clone of malware).
4. Steam collects a percent of revenue.

This is basically what apple does ( besides step 2 ). And most of the time when you download or buy from their store, the app is working, great, and efficient. If Valve want to keep fake games off their app store, they need a approval system, not a greenlit where good and bad apps sit there for 3 months waiting. They need a dedicated team of professionals to approve and reject apps.
All apps should be approved within 10 days of submission. Not " pay $$ and auto submit ". That is the mistake google made with Google Play. There is so much fake apps on GP.....
The Stencyl Discord Channel , Where the real Stencyl work happens ;).

decafpanda

What I think Steam should do is the following:

1. Valve should create a team which their job is to only work on the Steam operations.
2. Charge $100 ( one time ) to become a Steam Developer.
3. When submitting application to get your software published Steam has to approve it ( to make sure its not a clone of malware).
4. Steam collects a percent of revenue.

This is basically what apple does ( besides step 2 ). And most of the time when you download or buy from their store, the app is working, great, and efficient. If Valve want to keep fake games off their app store, they need a approval system, not a greenlit where good and bad apps sit there for 3 months waiting. They need a dedicated team of professionals to approve and reject apps.
All apps should be approved within 10 days of submission. Not " pay $$ and auto submit ". That is the mistake google made with Google Play. There is so much fake apps on GP.....

Exactly what I was thinking.  It seems they are trying to find a way for the community to do quality control for  free which just won't work.

They need to bite the bullet and create a team of people dedicated to quality control.  Not really judging on if your game is amazing or not but if it functions and is not broken.

It will definitely cost them money though.  That's where a developer fee or something like that could be put in place to help fund the quality control.

After a while, the fake games won't even try to get published because they know it won't get past the screening process.  Once this happens they could get better with quality control and maybe start picking out really good games to be featured, or at least get some exposure.  All of this will take time and money but will be infinitely better than a community base quality contol.

It's really simple.  They need to handle the quality of their games on their end.  Not leave it up to a system in the community that can be exploited.

Dincicode

This is bad news.

ceosol

The fee looks like $100

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/2/15729276/steam-direct-fee-valve

I was hoping it would be higher. At $100, there is going to be tons of spam games. It will be impossible for a new indie developer to be discovered.

rob1221

I wasn't expecting $100 either since that's the same as the Greenlight fee.  While it is per-game, it's also possible to get the money back although Valve has not yet stated how.  Despite the changes to trading cards recently (removing them for new games), I still expect a significant increase in new games when Steam Direct releases.

[Update: A Valve representative tells us "we plan to return the $100 fee after a game hits $1000 in sales."]
Source: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/want-to-get-a-game-on-steam-100-is-all-you-need/

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:43:38 pm by rob1221 »

KramerGames

For a beginner like me that is great news, even for 300$ I wouldn't take the risk. There will be more games of course, but I listened to the one hour youtube video that was linked here and can understand Valve's reasoning. I assume it's going to be like Kongregate where you upload your game and have one shot. Some people play a game because it's new, and if those people like it, more people will play it. On Kongregate the vast majority of games just disappears though, which is quite painful as I know from experience :-) .
The downside is that we as developers probably have to do more marketing and shouldn't expect a game to automatically take off on Steam on it's own. I might make free demos and upload them on Kongregeate, Newgrounds etc.
Parasites United  (Idle Parasite Game)

decafpanda

Wow 100 bucks?  I really dont know what to think of that.... lol I really don't.  I was expecting it to be around $500.   You are right Kramer, freemium strategies through the flash portal sites probably will be the best way yo get traffic to your game.

I am implementing that with my current game

Actualy this could end up being great for the portal and flash communities.  Think about it, if good devs are creating free flash demos of their games to advertise for their steam games, maybe flash development in general will see a resurgence in popularity.   That would be a great thing.

rob1221

Flash gamers aren't a fan of demos though and some sites don't allow demos at all.

decafpanda

Flash gamers aren't a fan of demos though and some sites don't allow demos at all.

Well I think the developer would have to ensure that they give a good chunk of content to the flash version.  A demo of the first 5 minutes of a game would definitely turn people off but a well done demo with a good chunk of content will satisfy gamers.  It all depends on if the game is good or not.

Take a look at the newly released "Pinstripe"  it is labeled as "chapter one" one the flash sites and promotes the full game that is available on Steam.  This game has been a huge success on both portals and Steam

Also look at "Rearmed Trials" on Armor Games.  This is another good example of a solid flash demo that promotes a Steam game.  This game was also NOT published by Armor Games on Steam so it shows that self published flash demos can still gain exposure  (Incase you were thinking the only reason Armor Games featured Pinstripe is because they published the Steam version)

If the game is well made and the flash version offers decrnt content, people will play and enjoy it.

As far as Sites not allowing demos.  Armor Games, Newgrounds, and Kong are really the only sites worth publishing to IMO and you most certainly can get demos (GOOD DEMOS) featured on those sites

I definitely agree though that gamers really do not prefer to see demos and I personally would never put the word "demo" in the title of my game.  More elegant solutions  such as "chapter one"  get the point across without using the word demo

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 08:44:53 am by decafpanda »

iii

Take a look at the newly released "Pinstripe"  it is labeled as "chapter one" one the flash sites and promotes the full game that is available on Steam.  This game has been a huge success on both portals and Steam

Pinstripe. Released end of April 2017. $14.99.
Roughly 8000 unit sold. Available on Windows, Mac, Linux. Available in 7 languages.
Published by Armor Games.
Minus Steam cut, Publisher cut, and Tax cut.
With a game that took 5 years to create. Hmm...
Not sure if I can call it a "huge" success though. (At least, not yet.)

Dead Cells, on the other hand. Released early last month, May 2017. $16.99.
Roughly 205,000 unit sold. Available only on Windows. Available in 3 languages.
Self publish. Still in "early access".
Currently in Top 9 most popular indie game on Steam.
Now that is what I can call a "huge" success.

decafpanda

Thx for those sales figures.  I'm actually really suprised that Pinstripe has not sold more.  So yeah, "huge" success might not be the best way to describe it but it does show that releasing a demo on a portal site can gain exposure on Steam.

I wonder what the sales figures would be without the demos on the portals.  I would bet they would be much lower or non existent.

Really, that's what the topic is about.  What can indie devs do to get word out about their games? With this new system, it will be almost impossible to get exposure.

rob1221

http://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1265922321514182595

Steam Greenlight is now closed and Steam Direct will launch on June 13.  There will be one final batch greenlit, but for those without a greenlit game they can just refund the fee and use it for Steam Direct.  New developers will have a waiting period of 30 days so they can't pay the fee then immediately publish a game.  They must also put up a "coming soon" page for two weeks before release.

rob1221

So Valve just greenlit about 1700 games and there's probably more to come.  If I had to guess why, I'd say they don't want to deal with a huge flood of refund requests and also may not want to force Greenlight devs to go through the 30 day waiting period.  I was hoping that maybe my upcoming Steam game would get in before the flood of games but I guess that's not happening now.

rob1221

Please wait... There are 144 trailers ahead in the queue
This is according to a Steamworks dev asking about video processing times (which wasn't an issue before).  The new games flood has begun.