Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Save to Kill

decafpanda

Back at it with my newest title, Save to Kill.

It's a top down shooter about a vampire trying to save humanity from robots so he doesn't run out of food.

Check it out!  Game is still in early alpha and rough but this will give you an idea.

Let me know your thoughts.

Here is a link to some gameplay.   Note there is no audio for this game yet, the background music is just some song that was on my vid capture software

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_7gGYJgs4Gk

Big thanks to Nikki for the awesome art!!!!

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 06:57:25 am by decafpanda »

decafpanda

Oh and definitely check the video out on on the highest resolution on youtube.   720 p HD. View in full screen for best effect.  The vid looks poor on lower quality resolution.

decafpanda

So I have been working quite a bit on this game and it has gotten some serious gameplay overhauls.  In this game there is special meter and special moves to spice up the gameplay.

Pushing UP does a fire torpedo attack.  This deals massive damage and bounces you back after collision.

Pushing DOWN does a flaming sword attack.  This covers a really broad area and wreck huge groups of enemies.

LEFT and RIGHT do rolls so the player can doge enemy attacks

the player is invincible during all of the special attacks.  Basically I am creating a crazy bullet hell game but I give the player the power of a GOD.

You can collect gems and buy upgrades at the "Vortex"  which is basically a hub area where you level up and choose the level you want to play.  All of you attacks gain a damage boost every level plus every 5 levels the attack evolves (more bullets, bigger sword ect...)

All of the above moves cost some of your special meter.  The roll only uses a little, but the dash and sword take a decent chunk away.  You regain special meter by collecting power-ups.  There a bunch of different power-ups to collect such as money, damage, and speed boosts.  This is an idea I had pretty recently and the game is so much more fun now.

there is also an Ultimate attack.  When your special bar is full you can press CTRL to kill all the enemies on the screen and heal your character by 1 point.  This will be the only way to heal

I am starting to get lots of art resources in and programming still with lots of placeholders.  SO much still to do but it really is coming along nicely

check out some footage.  There is still is no audio for this game, the song playing is just some random song on my vid capture software

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeaY-olpXOE

LIBERADO

The game looks nice, but the action is too slow, as if it were running in slow motion.
When I play the video at 1.5x speed, the game looks a lot more fun.
Check it out for yourself.
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

decafpanda

Thanks for the view.  Yikes, watching at 1.5x speed made me dizzy.  I would not want the game to run that fast.  I think I get what you mean though.   I might make the background scroll a bit faster and some of the small 1 hit kill enemies could be faster too.

The enemies  get faster as the game progresses as well.  This is stage 2 of 5

LIBERADO

Usually, this kind of top down shooter games have a faster overall action. But it is a matter of taste.
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

domagojbulat

Oh, I like it sooo much! Playing your game gives a juicy feeling and for me that is most important thing. Sweet! I even like your placeholder music :-) I would not speed up the gameplay, it feels right for me. But, background speed is scrolling a bit too slow. Comparing vampire's and trees sizes, it seems you are less than 50 meters above ground. You fly as slow as if walking. I would speed up the ground a bit because it would be shame to reduce it's size or to enlarge vampire's size...
Enemy damage debris is very very nice, but for my taste a bit too saturated with color. Maybe tone down a bit because current look gives me feeling I need to avoid or collect it.
What I like the most is obvious improvement comparing to Humanoid Space Race, which is already a great game!

decafpanda

Hey Domo!  When You Say Debri Do You Mean The Gems that you collect  Or The Actual Explosion Debri That Disappears After Half A second?

I already turned up the background speed  and it feels much better.  Also I am taking liberado's suggestion a little and speedin up some enemies.  Mostly the small, easy to kill ones.  It gives a great effect when they come in fast in a row an just get mowed down with your bullets.

I still have sooooo much balancing to do as far as enemy speed, AI, Bullet speed...... So much fun though

domagojbulat

The explosion debris that dissapeares. It is very yellow so looks a bit like gold or enemy bullets. It makes me want to dodge it.

decafpanda

Yeah, I think I will play around with the opacity for that, turn it down a bit,

BTW  I made you a beta tester on Newgrounds,  feel free to play if you wish but do not feel obligated to in anyway.

decafpanda

GIF of Save To Kill.  Sword swipe, barrel roll, torpedo blast finish!  Combo Kill

decafpanda

First LEVEL BOSS.  Huge thanks to Nikki who is working so hard on the art for this game!

decafpanda

Well the flash version is pretty much complete.  I still need to tweak a few things and play with some sfx volumes and such.

Here is some end game footage.  All in all I am very happy with the game.  It is a blast to play!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5H9o4HkOP2Q