Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Yo! Let's UP

Bhoopalan

There are features like screen recordings and airdrop sharing. Custom extensions on Stencyl??

Not sure of airdrop sharing. But there is an extension sold by Robin (10 USD I think) for screen recording.
If I helped you at anytime, help me back build my twitter followers :)
https://twitter.com/imbhoopalan

thechaosengine

There are features like screen recordings and airdrop sharing. Custom extensions on Stencyl??

Both ReplayKit and Simple Share are extensions that have been available for a while :)

vikingpotato

Oh lovely.
And I like how you do not turn down or change the music when the game reaches a fail state. Makes me want to continue playing with a new session, as the music is still running!

thechaosengine

haha glad you like it, I always do that :) The music is triggered on the main menu so it never re-triggers while the game is going, just loops. i think it would be super annoying if a song restarted every couple of seconds if you died early a few times in a row!

Noroup

Didn't get a banner, alas. But it's doing pretty well regardless :)
You made $25k off this app in one week??

thechaosengine

yup. it's at something like $40K by now.

Noroup

Hey I'm a teen developer using Stencyl could you give me some advice? Got Skype? Discord? Kik?

sysads

WOW my brain is spinning  :D

Any TUT you used to make it?

squeeb

We may need to collaborate on a game together ;) haha

decafpanda

Congratulations on your success with this game!  Goes to show how simple fun games can generate huge amount of revenue.

One tap, addicting games like this are what people love to play on their phone.  They can bust it out and play a quick round in the doctor's office, waiting in line, in class, on the couch, lunch break... anywhere!

Any plans on an android release?  I would like to play this game and study it a bit for a model on a successful mobile game

Bhoopalan

Awesome. At least 95% of it would be from ad revenue isn't it?

Bhoopalan

One more question: Did you maintain a journal anywhere online for this game? Was there any review from sites like toucharcade before game release?

Just wondering how much are these things needed for a feature.

thechaosengine

To be honest I wasn't expecting Yo to do as well as it did so I didn't really bother with a dev log or getting press (though I should've!). I think Pocketgamer wrote a review but TouchArcade didn't.

I don't really have advice for people outside of "make a good game and hope for the best"

Noroup

To be honest I wasn't expecting Yo to do as well as it did so I didn't really bother with a dev log or getting press (though I should've!). I think Pocketgamer wrote a review but TouchArcade didn't.

I don't really have advice for people outside of "make a good game and hope for the best"
Dude... How did it feel to make this much money? Are you overwhelmed?

Also, could you please give advice as to where to place ads, what ads to use, etc.

thechaosengine

The Android release should be happening very soon :)

Dude... How did it feel to make this much money? Are you overwhelmed?

Also, could you please give advice as to where to place ads, what ads to use, etc.

It was nice but I've made that type of money with other Stencyl games before so it wasn't super overwhelming! I'm just grateful to be able to do what I love and make a living, I owe Stencyl so much :)

Far as ads go, I tend to focus on arcade games so it's not too difficult to put interstitial ads in the game, every X amount of game overs seems to work best. I don't like banners (and I don't think they make that much money, though I could be wrong there!) so I don't use those. I try and put rewarded video ads in my games if I can place them in a non-intrusive way (in Yo a button to watch an ad is barely noticeable placed in one screen where players can earn a few extra coins if they want) just because I think it's nice to give people the option, and it DOES make decent money even tucked away in a corner like that. I also always have IAP in my games so players can remove the ads if they want.

Awesome. At least 95% of it would be from ad revenue isn't it?

More like 80%, the IAP did (again, surprisingly!) quite well, people have been very supportive by buying the 'remove ads'