Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Yo! Let's UP

squeeb

I think I'll go that model as well.  What's the best reward video company?  . I know there's rules with some companies about reward videos.  What about get a skin or outfit when video is watched?

thechaosengine

Yo! is now available on Android!

I think I'll go that model as well.  What's the best reward video company?  . I know there's rules with some companies about reward videos.  What about get a skin or outfit when video is watched?

Unity is p good for video ads, I use them and Applovin at the moment. You can do anything you want as far as rewards go :)

Noroup

Yo! is now available on Android!

Unity is p good for video ads, I use them and Applovin at the moment. You can do anything you want as far as rewards go :)
Did you advertise your game at all? Did you write to anyone? How did it become so popular?

thechaosengine

Did you advertise your game at all? Did you write to anyone? How did it become so popular?

No advertising, I emailed TouchArcade and PocketGamer a couple of days before release but didn't bother w any other press than that. In the end PocketGamer wrote an article but TouchArcade never bothered.

People keep asking how this happens but there really isn't a magic trick to it. They either gloss over it when I say it or just don't want to hear it, but the goal HAS to be "make a good game". A game that's good enough to get featured by Apple, and then good enough that people keep playing it because they like it. (note: this isn't aimed specifically at you or meant as a complaint, Noroup)

Noroup

No advertising, I emailed TouchArcade and PocketGamer a couple of days before release but didn't bother w any other press than that. In the end PocketGamer wrote an article but TouchArcade never bothered.

People keep asking how this happens but there really isn't a magic trick to it. They either gloss over it when I say it or just don't want to hear it, but the goal HAS to be "make a good game". A game that's good enough to get featured by Apple, and then good enough that people keep playing it because they like it. (note: this isn't aimed specifically at you or meant as a complaint, Noroup)
Can you personally look at a game I'm developing on YouTube and tell me if it is a good game? And give some advice please since you're experienced?

https://youtu.be/hZXyCAOvL9o

luismp

I think the "trick" that most people don't know is to send an email about your game and your release date to app store promotions. I guess that you sent an email to app store promotions?

LIBERADO

If such email is not sent, the game cannot get featured by Apple?
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

luismp

If such email is not sent, the game cannot get featured by Apple?

If you dont send it you have pretty low chances of getting featured. I'm sure thechaosengine has more experience on that topic but as far as i know, unless you are a known publisher and you have been featured in some important websites, the "to do list" is to send at least 3 emails: pocketgamer, toucharcade and the most important, appstorepromotions. Then wish for the best xD...

rodolfovs

What is the email address of Apple Store Promotions?

manaskk

nice work!! is Kappsule Studios owned by stencyl's group?

thechaosengine

I didn't email appstorepromotions, but I'm p known to Apple at this point through previous games, and it's definitely a good idea to email them. I read about that in the thread for The Contender as well, and it has served Faisal well from what I see!

That said, the reason I keep coming back to "Make A Good Game" is that I know games that were featured by Apple and still didn't do very well, which is a shame. I'm a bit weary of the whole "what's the trick" discussion because even if there were a secret shortcut to guaranteed features (which there isn't), you could still end up getting nothing out of it.

As far as what a good game is, it's subjective but there are things to keep in mind. Good art, easy to understand interface (i.e. your gameplay can be complex but people have to be able to understand what's going on and what buttons etc to press immediately), compelling enough gameplay / enough content / replayability to keep players coming back, and integrating as many platform-specific features (Game Center, Google Play Services,  ReplayKit, etc etc). Good screenshots / video on the store page and a good icon also matters a lot.

EDIT: Kappsule is owned by GeorgeN, who handles Android ports for some Stencyl devs.

rodolfovs

I didn't email appstorepromotions, but I'm p known to Apple at this point through previous games, and it's definitely a good idea to email them. I read about that in the thread for The Contender as well, and it has served Faisal well from what I see!

That said, the reason I keep coming back to "Make A Good Game" is that I know games that were featured by Apple and still didn't do very well, which is a shame. I'm a bit weary of the whole "what's the trick" discussion because even if there were a secret shortcut to guaranteed features (which there isn't), you could still end up getting nothing out of it.

As far as what a good game is, it's subjective but there are things to keep in mind. Good art, easy to understand interface (i.e. your gameplay can be complex but people have to be able to understand what's going on and what buttons etc to press immediately), compelling enough gameplay / enough content / replayability to keep players coming back, and integrating as many platform-specific features (Game Center, Google Play Services,  ReplayKit, etc etc). Good screenshots / video on the store page and a good icon also matters a lot.

EDIT: Kappsule is owned by GeorgeN, who handles Android ports for some Stencyl devs.
Sorry, but is there even this applestorepromotions email? What would this email be? applestorepromotions@apple.com?

squeeb

After my game is done... I may need to pay for an advertisement link to my game.. in yours ;) haha..  has anyone else done this?  I make a link in all my apps and games to more of my stuff... I'll even make a banner sized link in settings with the picture icon of my app or game.. then a description and it's inserted in my settings section . I try and get more downloads off of my more successful apps

thechaosengine

Sorry, but is there even this applestorepromotions email? What would this email be? applestorepromotions@apple.com?
[/quote]

Just googled it and apparently it's appstorepromotion@apple.com.

rodolfovs

Just googled it and apparently it's appstorepromotion@apple.com.
[/quote]Thanks