Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

[PAID] A shopping list of mobile-focused extensions / behaviours I'd like to see

thechaosengine

I updated the OP to keep things current.

Thanks, have fun with it.

Any chance you'd be up for looking into the other requests in the thread? Would be appreciated :)

squeeb

Let me take a look and see what else may be possible for me to try.. unfortunately I am unable to work on any thing ios atm... I need a test device, hopefully I don't need a mac.. I read there as a way to test on ios device and pc.. i haven't tried it yet though.  Somebody had an awesome local multiplayer they were working on here over wifi I think

robinschaafsma

Any chance you'd be up for looking into the other requests in the thread? Would be appreciated :)

Current i working on a toolset extension to manage all of my extension properly.
I help squeeb , were i can, to work on his skills to create extensions, so he can create great extension him self.
So i don't take new projects at the moment.

I am unable to work on any thing ios atm... I need a test device, hopefully I don't need a mac.
@Squeeb, you need Xcode to create games with stencyl for iOS, so yes you need a mac or you can use http://www.macincloud.com/
byRobinGames.com

I'am not always on the forum, you can mail me if you have an question. info@byrobin.nl

Donni11

@thechaosengine, Would you like a Online multiplayer Turn Based extension? Or UDP Extension with Near realtime online multiplayer network communication?
The Stencyl Discord Channel , Where the real Stencyl work happens ;).

squeeb

@thechaosengine, Would you like a Online multiplayer Turn Based extension? Or UDP Extension with Near realtime online multiplayer network communication?
I'd like both.  Id be willing to work with others to make some of these great ideas for stencyl

thechaosengine

Yeah both would be ideal. I'm not asking for all these features for one specific project; these are all things to expand on Stencyl's capabilities in general, so the more the better :)

Donni11

Okay so there are generally two ways to do this.

1. ( Very difficult, requires lot of additional coding ) Host Your Own Server - The first option is to buy a server from a hosting service. After you set it up, you could connect it to your game using one of these extensions. However you might need to create your own additional blocks depending on the type of game your making.

2. ( Recommended, much easier ) Use A Third Party Service - Use a third party service to handle the multiplayer, accounting, and leader-boards for you. Then ask someone from the Stencyl community to make it compatible with Stencyl.

I'd go with the second option. Unless your a huge company with hundreds of programmers, its usually better to get a service to handle the server connection and management. Just hire somebody to make the Stencyl blocks from the service. Off the top of my head, I could think of a dozen companies that offer this. A popular one is AppWarp . There is also https://playerio.com/ but I'm not sure if their service has a Haxe API.  Just a browser search and you'll find plenty of results. So do some research of the service that works best with your budget then post back here the service you want a Stencyl extension for. I personally can't help with the coding of the extension since I still have a lot to learn in Haxe  :D . But I'm sure mdotedot could offer some assistance. Or Squeeb or robin. Its pretty simple to create the blocks once you get the source code from the company. Best of luck!

The Stencyl Discord Channel , Where the real Stencyl work happens ;).

ceosol

M.E. was working on a different system more recently (ADP maybe???). From what I remember, it was closer to real time than UDP. If you wanted something for a schmup type of game with very specific timing, UDP is definitely not fast enough.

thechaosengine

Well, Colburt and me often make physics-based 2 player sports games so I suppose you'd need some serious speed to make that work. Anyway it's just a wish list, some things can be impossible :)

GuyCockcroft

How about the iCloud saving? How easy would it be to create "save to iCloud" type block? At the moment, stencil is a bit limited in terms of creating long-form games where players gradually level up.

thechaosengine

How about the iCloud saving? How easy would it be to create "save to iCloud" type block? At the moment, stencil is a bit limited in terms of creating long-form games where players gradually level up.

That one is quite high on my list! But someone would have to dig into the Apple side of it to make Stencyl and iCloud talk to each other, the same way it works with the Game Center and IAP blocks. I have no idea how complicated that is.

SadiQ

How about the iCloud saving? How easy would it be to create "save to iCloud" type block?
That would work for iOS games(android games can use google play's alternative), but saving and loading on all platforms simply requires a dedicated server.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

GuyCockcroft

Yes, I'm really only thinking of iCloud/Google Play (for me, anyway). For more 'persistent' game types like Clash of Clans, or where the player is expected to invest a lot of time to build up stats/xp etc. It's strange that this isn't currently supported, given the fact that other Game Center/Google Play blocks are present.

thechaosengine

How about the iCloud saving? How easy would it be to create "save to iCloud" type block?
That would work for iOS games(android games can use google play's alternative), but saving and loading on all platforms simply requires a dedicated server.

Saving and loading on all platforms isn't really a big deal. What you want is to support the respective ecosystems, cross-platform syncing is a secondary concern I personally wouldn't bother with. The point is that if someone has an iPhone and an iPad (or an Android phone and tablet), they'll complain that their progress doesn't carry over from one device to the other. It'd be a worthwhile feature to have for sure.