Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Neko VM installation undetected on OSX 10.11.6

SirFizX

My students needed to install Neko VM via homebrew and "brew install".  They defined NEKOPATH and added it to their .bash_profile yet Stencyl still doesn't detect Neko VM.  Does Stencyl check another environment variable or possibly only conduct a hard coded check to usr/bin and usr/local/bin ?

The Neko VM test runs just fine in the terminal. :o

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:01:37 pm by SirFizX »

Justin

Unfortunately, yes, we do need neko to be in a specific place. You can see the paths Stencyl expects in the file Stencyl/plaf/install_neko.

/usr/local/lib/libneko.dylib
/usr/local/bin/neko
/usr/local/bin/nekoc
/usr/local/bin/nekotools

The binaries aren't really a big deal, we just put them where the official neko installer does iirc. But because of some security restrictions with DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH on Mac, we do have to have libneko.dylib in /usr/local/lib (or theoretically somewhere else where it would be found, but again, we just went with where the official installer puts it).

Stencyl sets all the environment variables it needs to in order to ensure you have the correct setup (and not using, say, your own set of haxelibs and a different version of Haxe). This includes NEKOPATH and NEKO_INSTPATH.

For Live Support: Join our discord channel and ping me @justin.

Justin

Since homebrew apparently installs neko somewhere else, I can see about adding the checks we need to get it working if you installed that way. Until then, see the install_neko script I mentioned above to see exactly what Stencyl does to make it work.

For Live Support: Join our discord channel and ping me @justin.

SirFizX

@Justin   Thanks.  Will do.

SirFizX

@Justin Our students don't have admin on their machines. The  students have a local Homebrew install which puts Neko under local control.  Please add checks for these paths on OSX:
/Users/$USER/usr/local/lib/libneko.dylib
/Users/$USER/usr/local/bin/neko
/Users/$USER/usr/local/bin/nekoc
/Users/$USER/usr/local/bin/nekotools