Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

How to make buttons to switch scenes on click?

Kastex

i want to make a title screen with buttons (like play, instructions, options, ETC). i'm not exactly sure how to go about doing this.

i was thinking maybe the buttons should be actors that i place on the screen and make behaviors that switch the scene once clicked. is this a good way to go about it?

squeeb

Best way is actors... I use regions the same way instead of actors... just when testing.. create the regions in scene.. and when you click on region switch scene...or just add touch/click mouse to change scenes as well..if you only need one "button" polished look is way better with actors. I add them back in later

Kastex

so how do i make a behavior for the actor on click to change to a specific scene?

squeeb

There's a block that switches to a scene.. do a mouse  event when pressed or released ect... and find the switch to scene block and use it in that event

Kastex

thanks. i've managed to make buttons switch scenes successfully. now i am wondering how i can make a button to glow when the mouse hovers on it. i already have the button actor types for an inactive button and the glow button when hovered over.

the problem i am having is i'm not sure exactly how i'm going to make the glowed button show when the mouse hovers. i have a few vague thoughts on how this can be done, but i'm not sure exactly. any ideas?

squeeb

You can set opacity levels when the mouse is over the area... or what I usually do is have seprate events.  1 for mouse over to glow?  I haven't done this yet.  Shouldn't be hard.. mouse pressed switches the animation of the button to one that looks pressed and loads scene
VVV  @TheIndieStation  has great tutorials!!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:24:00 pm by squeeb »

TheIndieStation

Check out the first part of my basic race game tutorial series. You can find a link to my channel below this message

JeffreyDriver

There's different ways of going about this. You can switch to a different animation, or use different effects.

Here's some code I have in an actor behaviour that makes a button flash on mouse over.

Kastex

thanks everyone. i actually found out how to do this yesterday after my last post, but i also wanted to know about more methods anyway. your methods will help me and maybe others in the future. and thanks indie for your tutorials i was thinking about maybe making some sort of racing game in the future. your platform tutorial is actually helping me a lot on my current project.

what i ended up doing since i already had the actor PNGs for inactive and active button was rename the stock "Animation 1" and "Animation 2" to "inactive" and "active". then i made a behavior for when the mouse enters the actor to switch to the active animation and when the mouse exits the actor to change back to inactive animation. i made it an actor behavior instead of using events so i can put it on multiple buttons and all i need to do is make sure to rename the animations to active and inactive for each button. for actor events i made events for scene switching.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

i am having one more problem though. i find it quite difficult to make icon buttons. the buttons i've made so far were simply words like "play" or "back", but in-game i will need to utilize icon buttons for their smaller size and modernness. i'm new with photoshop and i'm not sure exactly how i'm going to make icon buttons.

i tried using free game assets from websites and i even looked for button icons on pexels and pixaby. the problem i am seeing with that is they have multiple buttons in the same picture. will i just have to use ps tools to crop out other buttons in a picture?