Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Isotiles (on Steam Greenlight)

rob1221

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=900820457
Isotiles is an isometric puzzle game played on a grid. The goal of the game is to turn all of the blue tiles red and then reach the exit tile. There are 50 levels to play through with increasing difficulty and added obstacles.

This is my first isometric game and I tried to keep it simple because isometric games can get really complicated as merrak has shown.  The levels in the scene designer use standard tiles and look like this:

When the scene is loaded, actors are created and placed based on the tiles, and then the tiles are removed.  The result is what is shown in the Greenlight trailer.  Movement is done with the mouse and uses the A* pathfinding algorithm.  After A* sends back a list of steps to take, then the player moves based on those steps.  There are no collision shapes, so any collision checking is done using the grid.  Most of the code refers to the original tile grid, and the isometric part is just the display and mouse detection.  When I added moving platforms in later levels, I had to change the Z-order so everything displayed correctly.

With over 3000 games on Greenlight now I'm not too hopeful for being greenlit before Steam Direct, but since Valve is taking so long to announce new details I decided to upload anyway.

merrak

Looks like a pretty cool game to me  8) I gave you a 'yes' vote, although I wouldn't be able to play the game unless there was a Linux version.

I am curious about how you handle A*-based movement in cases where there are multiple routes the player might want to take... if that's a possibility. The scenario I'm imagining is one like might occur in the 3x3 grid. Suppose I want to move in one particular path, but A* computes a different path. Does the player get to choose, or is it up to the player to not move too many tiles at once if multiple paths are available?

rob1221

Looks like a pretty cool game to me  8) I gave you a 'yes' vote, although I wouldn't be able to play the game unless there was a Linux version.
Thanks.  I thought about supporting Linux, but with Mac being only a few percent of sales and Linux users being about 1/4 of Mac users on Steam, it's hard to justify the time when I'm not even familiar with Linux.

Suppose I want to move in one particular path, but A* computes a different path. Does the player get to choose, or is it up to the player to not move too many tiles at once if multiple paths are available?
The path is the same each time, so sometimes the player will need to click only one or two tiles ahead.  It's a trade off between being simple and being precise.

merrak

Thanks.  I thought about supporting Linux, but with Mac being only a few percent of sales and Linux users being about 1/4 of Mac users on Steam, it's hard to justify the time when I'm not even familiar with Linux.

The path is the same each time, so sometimes the player will need to click only one or two tiles ahead.  It's a trade off between being simple and being precise.

True--it's not hard to make a Linux build if you already have the system up and running. But getting to that point--unless you're running Ubuntu, it seems like there's always some hoops to jump through to get Stencyl running correctly.

I might get it for my Mac when I get it up and running again, then. Good luck with your Greenlight campaign!

rob1221

So far the votes are 229 yes at 51%.  I was expecting between 30% and 40% based on how my other puzzle game Kombine did so this is a really surprising result.  It's actually the best vote % any of my games has started out with.  That being said, it's only 12% of the way to the top 100 due to the huge increase in games since the Steam Direct announcement.  So who knows if this will be greenlit, but I'm happy with the votes and I hope it correlates to good sales later as well.