Update: Version 01
This version features:
- Basic features listed in previous updates.
- 3d explosions! (pseudo-3d, this uses shading and size to make the appearance of 3d)
- Explosion mechanics. Explosions now work with my infinite scrolling map.
- More lag. Even more lag. Trust me, it's a feature.
- Improved engine effects.
- More incomplete features that aren't ready yet.
Remember, you can always check the latest version of the game with the links provided in the first post.
Hoping to add these features by the next update:
- Inventory system for Spacecraft | Utilities (still need it)
- Optimization of my graphical effects (20 fps is too little on browsers, even on a stress test)
- More HUD options
Stress tests on flash. Each large asteroid becomes 3 medium asteroids, which become 5 little asteroids.
This took me way too long to do. Mainly I was experimenting with lots of other possible features, such as 3d trail effects. (3 fps, perfect for running a... uhm. What's 3 fps good for?)
I wrote up an update template, so I can fill it out and have a consistent format for my updates. Always nice to have.
Corrupted the game twice, had my log spammed with 20 megabytes of "Running low on free memory: 100.0"
Anyway, I'm also a little interested about the performance that I'm getting with my stars. I'm packing a whole lot of image instances into the map, and some of them aren't even rendering because I'm shrinking them too much. I'll have to tweak that around further.
What else... I'm also going to need to make my own collision system, because Box2d doesn't support my custom X and Y values.
In this version, I broke the map (was too lazy to add any new actors, so I just modified my old ones to support my 3d scheme)
Again, the controls that changed:
Click and hold to cause the big asteroids to follow.
Press shift to create a large asteroid that doesn't have an initial Z direction. (this is for testing)
- Previously listed bugs.
- Particles created when using brakes (default S) still fade out.
- Z-ordering of my "3d" objects is not correct. Some small asteroids still overlap larger ones, and all overlap the ship.
- Probably some more bugs that I didn’t find.Fixes
- Main engine particles no longer fade out when paused.
Have you tried wrapping it an if block with game is paused?
You could try something with it to sort this bug out maybe.
Thanks for the suggestion, but it wouldn't work - I can't go in and edit tweens. I fixed this by making my own (very basic) custom tween.
So, problem (mostly) solved! Of course, with that bug squashed, a hundred more take its place...
That’s basically my second update. The next update will probably be in a few days.