Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Infinite Rogue

Bombini

Very good progress!
I enjoyed the new version. +1 on making the enemy AI a bit better.
I would still love to have diagonal movement ;)

Cheers!

colburt187

Really great work.  Any reason you don't allow the character to walk closer to the top wall? feels like the collision should be just until the base of the wall. Same will the bottom wall.

Crovaxus17

Thanks!
Very good progress!
I enjoyed the new version. +1 on making the enemy AI a bit better.
I would still love to have diagonal movement ;)

Cheers!

I do think I will ultimately add in 8-way movement as an option, but first I need to make an options menu...

Really great work.  Any reason you don't allow the character to walk closer to the top wall? feels like the collision should be just until the base of the wall. Same will the bottom wall.

The simple answer is that it makes the level generator easier to deal with: so I can have all the base tiles be on a single layer and all the characters and objects on the layer above. I could make the top wall collision more like what you are saying pretty easily though.

Also, big new updates!

- Bosses added! Now every 3 levels a boss will spawn that drops better loot. (I am currently looking into adding different boss monsters that spawn randomly, and maybe having them drop special keys that you need in order to progress?)
- More Monsters! nuff said.
- Merchants now spawn periodically, so you can buy powerups with your coins.
- NPCs now occasionally spawn and offer you bits of dialogue/lore.

Check it out and let me know what you think!

Crovaxus17

Update!

I have added more features to the game:

- There are now 3 unique bosses that spawn every 3 levels, so you will encounter different ones on different play throughs.
- There are now changeable character portraits so you can personalize your character a bit (I plan on adding different sprites for each class so that the skin tone and hair colors match the portraits, but that part isn't in there yet).

Now I need more help! I am trying to tweak the details of the game (as well as add more content), which includes trying to balance the classes, and get the difficulty of the game just right. Please play it and let me know what you think. Your comments will help me shape the way the game turns out! Thanks!

mdotedot

Great work Crovaxus17!

The graphics are nice and the rooms are randomly generated where there isn't a monster in the first room.
All good.

What I don't like is the music on the start of the game. Also there does not seem to be an option to turn it off.

As far as options go, I personally would like more options to molt the game to a players preference.
For instance: perma-death off, maximum number of monsters per room (0 to x), difficulty level (easy is for instance find more health)

0 monsters would allow a more adventurous game where you need to collect keys to unlock boxes where the lore is instead of slaying monsters to get the lore. I know it is harder to balance a game without monsters but you could try to use the random generator AI to force the player to navigate through specific rooms to get the magic key for the next level...
But this could be very personally and you might want to wait for other opinions :D
Best regards from
M.E.
Hanging out in the Chat:  http://www.stencyl.com/chat/

Crovaxus17

More Updates:
- Ranger class finally added! He lays traps as his power attack: let me know if you like it :)
- Tweaked the numbers; I hope the difficulty of the game is better – still working on this.

@mdotedot
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm sorry you don't like the music :(
I do plan on adding an options menu that will include options to turn down/off the music and sound fx. I could also add in difficulty modes pretty easily, I think, that would change how quickly the monster stats scale up the deeper you go in the dungeon, and maybe reduce the number of monsters, too.

O, I also added in a boss key mechanic, where every 3 levels the way down is locked, and you have to defeat the boss monster in that level to get the key that unlocks it.

mdotedot

I didn't like it starting at the beginning of the game. I was starting the game on 04:00 am and forgot that I hadn't put speakers to mute and I woke my girlfriend  :(   :)

Cool if you could make that option screen to reduce the monsters. It kind of felt like a hack-slash and I liked to find the nice graphics you put in the game instead of being killed in each  odd room :D
That perma-death option will help me if you would put it in.

Best regards from
M.E.

Crovaxus17

Gotcha. Well, the difficulty modes are on my to-do list!

Also, in case anyone is interested, check the screen shot for my best score so far: try to beat it if you can! :)

Crovaxus17

Hey all, I just thought I ought to post a quick summary of the game's main features, since it is changing to much. The following features are included in the current version (2.0):

- Endless procedurally generated dungeon

- Permadeath! Get as far as you can!

- 4 hero classes, each with a distinct style of play

- 6 different character portraits for each class, with matching character sprites

- 13 unique monsters, including 3 elite bosses

- Lock and Key system that requires you to defeat an elite monster every 3 levels in order to progress

- 40 different Lore fragments that drop randomly throughout the dungeon

- 12 different powerups to enhance your character (dropped from monsters, and found inside chests and destructible objects)

- Merchants that sell powerups for coins (collected throughout the dungeon); a merchant is currently guaranteed to spawn every 4 levels

- NPCs that provide extra lore

- 4 different difficulty levels to customize your play experience

Things still to come (hopefully):

- Tweaking stats for better game balance

- More tilesets so the dungeon will change randomly as you progress

- Improved controls (or maybe even custom?)

- More monsters!

- More NPC sprites

- More environment graphics

Cheers!

Crovaxus17

BETA TESTERS NEEDED!

Check out the finally published BETA on the Stencyl Arcade:

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/36833

Or on itch.io:

https://crovaxus17.itch.io/tower-of-non

I changed the previous title (Infinite Rogue, a working title really) to Tower of Non. I would love as much feedback as you can give me so I can find bugs and improve the game. Thanks!

squeeb

I'll have a play! ... when I get home

mdotedot

Played 15 minutes and died 3 times (mage)

Positives:
+ Graphics
+ Procedural Generation
+ Merchant/Shop
+ Option screen : yeah : Difficult Mode 
+ Animated Characters

Negatives:
- hack/slash style
- perma death

The core is solid and you have a foundation to implement what you said on your design document:
Make a framework that I can add interesting content to later; the big idea for this game is that the dungeon will eventually be stocked with bits of interesting lore: story fragments, poems, cryptic writings, unusual objects – let's call them Lorebites; then, once I have the engine in place, I can just add Lorebites to the game as I create them.
Maybe I didn't get far enough to read the story fragments/poems,cryptic writings.
I came across some nice animated characters (butterfly,archer etc..)

Good work!
Best regards from
M.E.

Crovaxus17

@mdotedot
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I think the permadeath and hack-and-slash style are kinda baked into the game. I might eventually implement a save system so you can save your progress, though, which would solve the permadeath part for you :)

As for the story fragments, if you press [L] you get a pause menu where you can scroll through all the Lore you have collected so far. There are only about 40 lorebits in there as of now, but I plan to add more, much more. And more animated NPCs to talk to. Thanks again!

Exportforce

Maybe add a "Kiddie mode". No perma death and blood gets exchanged with flowerpower, so people that hate permadeath are able to play.

And one simple rage I have for over 20 years now: Stop the bad F word using Z as a key. Not every keyboard has it on the lower left. Y/Z is a big nono.  XCV are a better use as they are on the same spot.

The game itself else is really nice. Gotta play that a bit more when I am home. Keep at it :)

Crovaxus17

Maybe add a "Kiddie mode". No perma death and blood gets exchanged with flowerpower, so people that hate permadeath are able to play.

And one simple rage I have for over 20 years now: Stop the bad F word using Z as a key. Not every keyboard has it on the lower left. Y/Z is a big nono.  XCV are a better use as they are on the same spot.

The game itself else is really nice. Gotta play that a bit more when I am home. Keep at it :)

I have had several requests to turn off permadeath, so maybe I will add that option. . . I just really like the Roguelike genre, and permadeath seems like a central part of making that what it is. As for Z key, the space bar works too :)