Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Paper Pirates vs Vikings

squeeb

Sketch of the pirate looks pretty cool :D

I played the latest update and I'm not sure if I'm attacking right. It seems half of the time my hits don't have an effect.
I appreciate that! Yeah.. the hits work facing right.  There is a bug when facing left... the paper effect is me growing -100 horizontal over .15 seconds... it has to do with my hit detection.  I have a facing left and right Boolean set up,  I need to move the hit detection when left... however it gets buggy... if you hit facing  left... but are standing far left of the enemy.. the hits are there....

ceosol

I would make the up/down movement slower than the right/left. If you think in terms of 2.5D, the floor is angled instead of being top-down.

merrak

I appreciate that! Yeah.. the hits work facing right.  There is a bug when facing left... the paper effect is me growing -100 horizontal over .15 seconds... it has to do with my hit detection.  I have a facing left and right Boolean set up,  I need to move the hit detection when left... however it gets buggy... if you hit facing  left... but are standing far left of the enemy.. the hits are there....

That explains it :)  It's a lot more playable with the right attack. I got pretty far this next time around, even found the fire power-up.

squeeb

I would make the up/down movement slower than the right/left. If you think in terms of 2.5D, the floor is angled instead of being top-down.
good call.. i fixed that, how do feel about the angle of the chest?  is it too top down? 
i fixed the layers

I played the latest update and I'm not sure if I'm attacking right. It seems half of the time my hits don't have an effect.
Fixed the left hit detection.

squeeb

UPDATE!
Added when you punch the enemy they turn gray scale, like you knock the color off them :p .. and treasure gets knocked out of them as well.. scoring is a little high.. not sure how i feel about it... next ill add attacking of the player and treasure falls out of your bag.  Paper animations added to enemy, they flutter when going down, ill fix that soon
Cut down to one enemy while programming the enemy AI... ill duplicate it to the new enemy when done.. easier to make one at a time :) ...torch is still broken until i optimize.  some bugs occurred, some fixed and some im still testing, report any you find.

added new video of gameplay and updated the arcade

squeeb

added attacking and life of player based on the treasure bag.. kind of like sonic the hedgehog and the rings, if you have nothing in your bag you get stunned.. need to add stun...
 the enemy now attacks back at you! when Enemy hits player, jewels fly and bag empties...

squeeb

Updated the arcade, you can tell the difference between player and enemy, added ship graphic and minor bug fixes

squeeb

Added some eye candy, and a timer power up, to add more time. more fixes tomorrow morning.. arcade updated

squeeb

Big Update.. bug fixes and whatnot.. more features and have sounds in place.  need to make music and see if the effects go with it.. and i left too much empty sound at the beging of the effects.. ill cut those soon.. i think thats why theres delay

squeeb

Switching between landscape and portrait while playing

Video of newer graphics.  Still need to get main characters done

https://www.facebook.com/FirstPassProductions/videos/1530678386983046/

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:58:55 am by squeeb »

decafpanda

Looks great.  I love beat em up games.  Definitely looking forward to seeing the character art

squeeb

Water/Milk Test

Looks great.  I love beat em up games.  Definitely looking forward to seeing the character art
thank you! It's be coming pretty fun to play!

Ceosol and I are changing direction on paper pirates.  Maybe a breakfast food brawler... Crunchy Pirates are made of cereal, sailing in a bowl of milk defending their marshmallow bites(treasure) against sausage links, bacon, and eggs as enemies or other breakfast foods.
Thoughts?

merrak

I like the new direction... particularly the opportunity to spoof various cereal mascots :D

The milk particles look way too bright compared to the milk... and I'm not sure they're behaving like milk splatters. Milk splatters look more like paint to me, rather than individual spheres.

squeeb

I like the new direction... particularly the opportunity to spoof various cereal mascots :D

The milk particles look way too bright compared to the milk... and I'm not sure they're behaving like milk splatters. Milk splatters look more like paint to me, rather than individual spheres.
Thank you. It should be fun! I need some sort of filter so I can blend the balls together (metaballs)  so when they touch they seem to come together. 

decafpanda

I like the idea of the new art but does that mean you will ditch the above ship/ water art?

Water test is very impressive too!!