Scaling for Desktop

KramerGames

I'm confused and the damage might be quite big, so I figured I'd check before I start working on my graphics:

I'm currently working on a game that I would like to try to publish for desktop. The most confusing thing for me is that it says that desktop games don't need scaling, which I don't understand because people have different screen ratios and I don't want things to be cut off, or rather, I want to be able to manage what exactly will be cut off.

I have checked and the most common screen resolution is 1366x768, 16:9. So should I divide that number by 4= 341x192 and set that for my game and scenes? And then make the graphics as if it were 1366x768, but check the 4x when importing the graphics?

And what if I just make the game in 1366x768, import the graphics as 1x and set the game to fullscreen mode? would that lead to problems for people with lower resolutions?

And on top of that, I'm using blocks like 'create actor at x of self + 100' etc, will that lead to problems or are those blocks calculated automatically based on the scaling?

Sorry, lots of questions, but so far I only worked with flash with a fixed resolution and made the mobile version scale to fit (letterbox).

Thanks!
Parasites United  (Idle Parasite Game)

Exportforce

As far as I have used the "scaling"-Options in Stencyl they are not UPscale but DOWNscale.
Also that "most common screen resolution" is something I really don't understand... When I take a look at stats of my websites it's either 1024x768, 1280x720 or 1920x1080 but that weird 1366 is way down...

KramerGames

I just googled and it came up with a list, to be honest I hadn't heard about that either. I just found something better though, the most recent steam survey: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/   In the bottom list you can click on display resolution and see a list:

1366 x 768
22.97%
1920 x 1080
46.17%

so at least 70% will be covered by   a 16:9 ratio.

I've played around with Stencyl and the downscaling works fine, but the problem is still that when I select 'scale to fit (fullscreen)', it will add blank space if the ratio doesn't match. (I'm using flash to test that though, don't have desktop compiling working yet.

So my current plan is to set the game to 800x450 (16:9), make the graphics 3 times as big and import as 3x. That way I can still publish the game as flash in 800x450 in case I can't get the game on steam. As with scaling I will choose 'scale to fit (letterbox)', knowing that it will fit for at least 70% of players.
Is that a bad plan?

Exportforce

Sounds good to me. Would do it more or less the same.

TheIndieStation

You are confusing scaling and scale mode. Scale mode should be fullscreen for a desktop game, and with your UI position based on screen boundries. This will give you the same result as mobile where some parts are cut of on a phone, while on a tablet you will see just a bit more. Scaling is only used to increase the amount of devices to play on due to the memory capacity, which you shouldn't worrie about to much on a desktop game.

KramerGames

That's quite enlightening, I was wondering why you have to do this 4x etc import on mobile when you could just make the game at a very high resolution since it will always scale down for smaller screens.

I think I'm still going with the letter box scale mode though, I should have thought about it from the beginning and changing things now would take ages. I need to get used to that with a smaller game.

bubbadubc

So, if I want to play my game on computers, and I want it to be HD, I need to set my scale mode to 1x when uploading my graphics, and make sure they are the size I want them to be, and also, set the display mode to 1920x1080?

Thanks for help.