A GameSalad Dev who's very Stencyl-curious

jasonsway

Hey everyone-

I've been using GS for a few years now and have released a handful of games for iOS. While the software has been mostly great, I'm ready to expand to something with more capabilities and features. I've dabbled a bit in Stencyl and really like what I see so far.

Has anyone else here migrated from GS to Stencyl and can list some of the positive and negative aspects of the switch?

Thanks!

colburt187

I know that Unept who made this game -> http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,49452.0.html came from Gamesalad, Ill ask him to drop a comment next time I see him.

Would you mind linking a couple of your iOS games? id like to check them out.

Rainbros

I switched to Stencyl from GS a while back. Best move I ever made.

Stencyl is miles ahead of GS. Here are just a few of the features that make Stencyl better, in no particular order:

1) Joints
2) Ability to write code if you want to
3) Lists and other attribute types (seriously GS, a game engine with no list functionality? WTH.)
4) Custom collision shapes built in (and also changing/adding shapes at runtime)
5) Overall better organization (folders, organize code into separate behaviors, etc.)
6) User-created extensions
7) Actors can destroy other actors and retrieve and change attributes for them (without "unlocking" them as you would in GS). This makes coding almost anything WAY easier and more flexible.
8 ) Better performance. I'm not sure how GS is doing in this area now, but when I switched there was a huge difference. Especially loading times.
9) Built in scene transitions.
10) Drawing features (draw polygons, lines, rectangles, etc) and the Image API open up new possibilities
11) FUNCTIONS. Possibly the most fundamental thing in programming, and GS doesn't have them.

I'm sure there are many more that I can't think of at the moment, but Stencyl is superior in pretty much every way that I can think of (except for Gamesalad's expression editor--I wish Stencyl had something like that. Dragging blocks around can be a huge pain, whereas typing is fast and easy.)

I highly recommend that you free yourself from the limits of Gamesalad. As a previous GS user, I can honestly tell you that there's no comparison.

jasonsway

I switched to Stencyl from GS a while back. Best move I ever made.

Stencyl is miles ahead of GS. Here are just a few of the features that make Stencyl better, in no particular order:
I highly recommend that you free yourself from the limits of Gamesalad. As a previous GS user, I can honestly tell you that there's no comparison.

Thank you SO much for these tips! All of these sound like really great positives VS GameSalad. There seems to be a lot of things that Stencyl has built-in that I've had to hack to make work in GS (Scene transitions for example). It's also nice to see so many rapid advancements in the editor. GS hasn't gotten any new features in about a year and so many of the features are half-broken.

jasonsway

I know that Unept who made this game -> http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,49452.0.html came from Gamesalad, Ill ask him to drop a comment next time I see him.

Would you mind linking a couple of your iOS games? id like to check them out.

I actually just released my newest game made in GameSalad called "Stolen Thunder". An action-puzzle adventure for iOS.

YouTube Trailer: https://youtu.be/H2Ya5TyginU
App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stolen-thunder-a-unique-action-puzzle-adventure/id1205390117?ls=1&mt=8

I'm really proud of what I've been able to push GS to do....but am hitting lots of limits now and look forward to seeing what else I can potentially do with Stencyl.

Thanks for the help!

colburt187

Wow, fantastic game, super polished, I don't know much about GS but you have produced somthing excellent with it. I'd be interested to hear how your experience with Stencyl goes, you would be a great addition to the stencyl community.

jasonsway

Wow, fantastic game, super polished, I don't know much about GS but you have produced somthing excellent with it. I'd be interested to hear how your experience with Stencyl goes, you would be a great addition to the stencyl community.

Thanks so much! It was fantastic to work on but GS can feel very limited at times and that's why I've been searching for other options. Stencyl seems to be a great way to do more advanced functions and see/edit the actual code. I've never been a coder but I can definitely wrap my head around the logic.

Unept

I used GameSalad for a little while back in 2011. I'm sure GS is better than it was back then. However, once I came over to Stencyl, everything felt better, more robust. There were a few things that were easier in GS for my beginner status, but Stencyl surpassed it in all other ways. I haven't looked back. Rainbros seems to remember GS enough to compare the two, I don't recall much at all.
Unicycle Hero: iOS  |  Level With Me: iOS/Android  |  Hue Ball: iOS/Android  |  Lava Bird: iOS/Android   |   Disposabot   |   Twitter

TheIndieStation

And if you wanna get started with some small but resourcefull tutorials, click the button below =p

squeeb

And if you wanna get started with some small but resourcefull tutorials, click the button below =p

Great tutorials! Stencyl has had so many updates, and user created content is always coming in!  Welcome to the team!

jasonsway

Wow this is a great resource...thanks so much for sharing!

MouseCDR

I'm trying to start using Stencyl but there are some things that aggravate me already, such as finding the Point of Origin for an object. It doesn't visually show you like every other program the point at which the origin is at on the Sprite. You can select the position of course like Center, Bottom-right, etc, but it's not visible AND, even if i were to customize it through code, I would have no idea where to place its freakin coordinates because I don't know where exactly it will land...Really?!
Since 2012, and seems like they still haven't improved or changed it!!
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php?topic=14553.0

Joint feature. GREAT, but how am I not able to set the position of Joint on the Sprite where I want it?? It forcefully centers it over Sprite which is not where I want it to be..

Trash bin for Event tab is strange. I'm unable to drag a piece of code into it to delete it. NOT EVEN RIGHT CLICK provides an option to delete wow.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 02:52:39 pm by MouseCDR »

JeffreyDriver

Do you really need to see the origin point? I guess it would be useful if you have lots of actors with different origin points. (Something to add to the issues tracker?)

But I usually standardise my origin points so I don't need to think about it.

You can use EDIT > CLEANUP STRAY BLOCKS to get rid of unneeded blocks, though you should be able to drag blocks into it.
Current Projects:
The Grand Grimoire Chronicles Episode 1 now on Kongregate!.
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

squeeb

You can use EDIT > CLEANUP STRAY BLOCKS to get rid of unneeded blocks, though you should be able to drag blocks into it.
control "K"  ;)

also origin points were top left of the sprite i thought

colburt187

"Joint feature. GREAT, but how am I not able to set the position of Joint on the Sprite where I want it?? It forcefully centers it over Sprite which is not where I want it to be.."

the joint extension gives you full control over joints, its awesome.