Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

My Journey to Becoming a Black - Belt (My 1st Stencyl Extension in HaXe!)

LenseOnLife

Hi,

No doubt many will think that creating a Stencyl Extension is child's play, but to me it was a duanting task - till I accomplished it and then sat wondering what all the fuss was about. 

For anyone who might be interesting on going on the same journey, I made a series of videos along the way explaining what I was trying to do, the wrong roads that I took and eventually reaching the finishing line.  If you watch the videos, then you can be sure that you will end up with a simple first Stencyl Extension and the confidence to look at writing some interesting ones of your own.  Along the way I came into contact with HaXe, OpenFl and managed to get the FlashDevelop IDE to work with the Stencyl base.

This would not have been possible without the assistance of Justin when I hit the inevitable brick wall of ignorance - thanks Justin  ;)

Be very interesting to know what people think of the outcome.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwmsT_c4rTUYsSVqaPrrYLp6I3-KPMJs5

Cheers,

Oliver

KramerGames

That's gold! Thank you very much for this, Ill try to watch all videos within the next few days.
Parasites United  (Idle Parasite Game)

SadiQ

Finally someone making actual code related videos for stencyl :)
Welcome to the code land :)
Maybe you should remove the first videos thou? There's no need to confuse newcomers even more than they already are :)

A tip: Use a proper text editor instead of notepad (I'm quite happy with Notepad++ and Sublime). It makes a huge difference.

EDIT: Another tip. Haxe code works in stencyl, therefore you can use trace("something"); inside your extension files. Oh...and you don't need the new() function in extensions as well.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:34:21 am by SadiQ »
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

ceosol

This is so awesome. Thanks for documenting your progress.

LenseOnLife

Hi,

Thanks for all that constructive feedback.  I will, over time, get to incorporating the suggestions.

Cheers,

Oliver

ceosol

I think you can call those tutorials. You studied on your own and then presented the material to teach others. That is a tutorial :)

I disagree with what you said in video 5 (I think 5 anyway). You said that typing:
trace(str1 + str2 + "intI = " + intI);
was easier than dragging blocks. With having to reread it, delete/add spaces and + signs, and having to delete the extra ); at the end, I can do that much faster with blocks. If you have all of the syntax memorized, I suppose typing would be faster. I've never seen a coder with perfect syntax, though.

ceosol

Oh, and are you saying slán go fóill at the end of the videos? :)

SadiQ

I've never seen a coder with perfect syntax, though.

I'm pretty sure a real coder won't make too many typos with simple code :)
And since lots of people write code without looking at the keyboard it's a lot faster than using the mouse. 
Add a text editor or IDE with proper autocompletion (basically anything except windows's notepad) and you get an even bigger speed advantage over the normal blocks in stencyl.
Typing is only slower in the beginning stages :)
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

LenseOnLife

Hi,

It seems that I'm not receiving emails - so I missed all these very interesting comments - sorro to one and all for ignoring you, it wasn't intentional.

In terms of typing str+str ... compared with using the blocks:  that is very much a geriatric perspective from having grown up with using the str + str syntax.  I totally agree with what you said about having to go back and check syntax can slow down the process - and that has often happened to me, leaving out those hard to find double quotes.

from my perspective - delighted with the feedback.  There are times when I wonder what people think - so that you all for taking the time to comment.

cheers,

Oliver