Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Hoppy Pals

Majora64

Hi there! I've been working on my 2nd mobile game and would like to keep a record of it here. This is Hoppy Pals- a one touch  obstacle based game where the level moves as you jump! I thoroughly enjoyed a popular game on Stencyl called "Hops" and wanted to incorporate some mechanics of that game with everything I love about mobile games and the infinite runner genre. It's simple- tap to jump or hold to jump further. The twist is that the level only moves when you're in the air!

There are a variety of obstacles fine tuned to test your hopping abilities and keep you busy. Hoppy Pals is currently being developed for iOS but I would love nothing more then to have it hosted on some of my favorite gaming websites with continual updates in the future. I'm "hopping" ;D for a November release but below you will find more details and updated progress shots of the game so stay tuned for more details!

Gameplay
The controls are simple. Tap to jump a short distance, or hold to jump farther. I enjoy one touch controls as they're simple enough to use, but difficult to master which is something I would like Hoppy Pals to achieve.
As your score increases, so does the variety and difficulty of obstacles. This is but a small sample of obstacles you will come across. The current build (not shown) contains a bigger variety of spikes, coins, platforms, and enemies!

Don't Fall in the water!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archive
10/7

7/15

6/16
Hoppy Pals was originally being developed for portrait mode, but after some extensive testing did not end up working with the scope of the game

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:17:40 am by Majora64 »

squeeb

looks fun!! ill have a play a little later on.. eating now haha.. also.. love the water!!  ... i may have to use that ;)  how are you getting the shadow on the cloud?  i was about to do some shadow work on my paper pirates game
i pmd you

Majora64

looks fun!! ill have a play a little later on.. eating now haha.. also.. love the water!!  ... i may have to use that ;)  how are you getting the shadow on the cloud?  i was about to do some shadow work on my paper pirates game
i pmd you

Hey Squeeb I got your pm. Please go ahead and use it! The point of trying to get it to work is so others can use it. It's a valuable resource and getting it updated was very awesome of SadiQ. Here's the link. It should be the "water test behavior". If you can modify it to get the water drops to integrate with the water that'd be amazeballs.

http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,51675.0.html

As for the shadows on the clouds..I hadn't noticed it until now..it's not really a coded shadow, it's just part of the animation  :P lol if you really want dedicated shadows I'd ask Merrak or check out his isometric engine journal...he's got some crazy stuff cooking up and it looks like he almost has shadows down to his liking (imo it looks amazing already but he's a perfectionist with his engine)

http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,41034.0.html

Majora64

Thanks to Luyren, a nice Goomba behavior was created so that the Goomba would switch directions when it reached the edge of the platform and would also keep up with the Speed that the platform was moving. Very happy with the way it turned out. I also took out the score system. Before, the score would go up everytime the player clicked or touched the screen but it felt forced and it seemed like something that could be abused and overwall not as rewarding...I have now switched it to be distance based as I feel this is a better way of scoring for this game. It decrements wayy to fast but I'm working on it. I tried dividing it but in order to eliminate decimals I had to use "round" and divide by 100 to keep it clean. Can't wait to start doing the real art.

Majora64

Working on some prototype characters
-Decided on calling the game...

-Switched the game from Portrait to Landscape
-Took out double Jumping
-Working on implementing the art
-Ads currently work. Looking into chartboost.

To do:
-fix scoring
-difficulty curve
-UI
-Dynamic level change?
The score currently increments too fast so if anyone knows how I can have it set to increment slowly or in metrics (meters) that would be nice as the games difficulty is based on the score.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 01:07:47 pm by Majora64 »

squeeb

I like the character art! I have an extension I'll release here in a few days , it will let you play In  portrait and landscape depending on how you hold device as you play.    Download for donation.

merrak

The usual way I "smooth out" the score increment is to separate the score into two attributes, the actual score, and a display. Then I include code in the drawing event that catches the display score with the actual score. Example--

There are the number tweens, too--but I prefer to write it myself so I can easily adjust the behavior to my liking. In my example, the gain is 1/17 of the difference each frame, with a minimum gain of 43. I picked a prime number for the minimum gain so that the units digit displays all the digits, even though the score may always be a multiple of 10 or 100.

Based on the size of the hoppers, I'd estimate a meter to be anywhere from 15 pixels wide (scaled for the cow) to 50 (scaled to the rabbit). Taking the middle route, maybe divide the score by 32? Increment by 1/32 instead of 1, and round the display but keep the decimals internally.

I like the character art! But I'm not sure if the style aligns with that of the background. Some of the characters seem pixelated, but the background and clouds are smooth. I think I prefer the smoother look.

Majora64

I'm not home now but I'll have to show you the code I'm working with for scoring but I'll definitely give this a go. The art is mostly placeholders. The background,clouds, platforms are all open game art assets. Characters I'm still working on but I'm hoping to get a good pixely cohesion going on soon with everything. I tried to work with smoother art but I wasn't able to get it to a point where I was happy but Stay Tuned! I'm psyched for those posters though Merrak!

Majora64

Here's what I have for the score increment. It essentially increments whenever the player is in the air (since they're not actually moving). It increments, but it's just wayyy too much as I'm looking for something more like jetpack joyride. I tried dividing by 10 and it gives me a smaller value but it's so precise that it gives me an extraneous amount of decimals. Not quite sure what you meant by separating the scores though? Code is attached.

Without dividing by 10 = score increments too fast

Dividing by 10= score increments but with decimals

squeeb

I think you can use round or floor of to get the decimals off

merrak

I can't see your code. I just get a big blank image. But your numbers will be small enough after after dividing that I don't think you'll need anything elaborate like I set up. Just rounding like squeeb suggested should be enough to smooth it out.

Majora64

I can't see your code. I just get a big blank image. But your numbers will be small enough after after dividing that I don't think you'll need anything elaborate like I set up. Just rounding like squeeb suggested should be enough to smooth it out.

Sorry. The original picture was edited because it screenshotted the entire code for my actor. If you click it and scroll down it should work but heres the main code. Also, I apologize as I probably should have posted this as a question on the forums instead of here...Just read that from Jon...

colburt187

I would simplify the score. I think there is value in nice clean scores, So you can say to a friend, I got 20 in Hoppy Pals instead of, I got 746 in Hoppy pals, small numbers are easier to remember. I would either have a little flag on each platform and when you pass it you get 1 point or just count score every time you land on a new platform.

merrak

I think you have the right blocks, but in the wrong order. Rounding should take place after division, not before. Then you can divide by a value larger than 1.

I didn't notice that the player only receives points when they're in the air, but now I see it in the GIFs you showed us. That's an interesting way to do the score, although I also think it's a bit counter-intuitive. I think having coins or flags would be more obvious to the player.

I don't think you need the x1 block. Rounding after dividing and raising the divisor should fix the display problem.

Majora64

It had originally crossed my mind to make the scoring system based on when you landed on a platform/flags like you guys have suggested, but I wanted to go for the distance scoring as it reminded me more of Jetpak Joyride and I thought by constantly upping the score like this, it would make the player feel constantly rewarded but now that you guys mention it, I think scoring the way you guys have sugggested might be a little better. Colber and Merrak, you make a good point about simplifying things. Saying you got a score of 20, flows better than 734. I think distance scoring would be more appropriate if this game was a constant runner. Thanks for the feedback...off to add flags!

My only other question would be...if I were to simplify the scores, how could I also keep the difficulty curve nice and neat? In my current build, the difficulty ramps up every 500-1000 points, so by lessening the score to increment per platform, does that mean my game will be inherently more difficulty? I'm trying to find the sweet spot but at what point does the game reach it's hardest without being unfair. I don't want to keep introducing new obstacles if I feel the player is just going to get frustrated with the abundance of obstacles...kind of a subjective set of questions but I'm going to ask them anyway as you guys (especially Colbert) understand mobile better than I do. Should there be a point at which most players reach a threshold of difficulty that is made to end the game?

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:02:54 am by Majora64 »