Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Hoppy Pals

NickamonPoppytail

Yes, coins will be used to unlock characters and potentially backgrounds if I can get to it. Game doesn't have power ups but for ads I was thinking of some combination of:

1.Watch an ad to continue (1 extra life)
2. Watch an ad for coins
3. Give an option to watch a video ad to remove all ads for one session (kind of like hulu).
4. immediate full screen ad on start up

Thoughts?

I like the idea of the extra life and coins. You may not want to have this after every time the character dies, so maybe used a random integer block to determine if the ad option will appear.

merrak

I'd suggest getting players hooked before showing them ads.

I'd also suggest thinking about how frequently the player will encounter ads. For a new player who has little practice, a game might only lasts 30 seconds. If you show an ad every "game over", then new players might be turned away by so many ads.

Total game play time may be a better model. When the app is first launched, let the player play for a few minutes before showing the first ad. When the timer has expired then an ad will be shown on the next game over and the timer is then reset. If it were me, I'd so something like 3-7-7-7 (time before first ad is 3 minutes, then subsequent ads are spaced 7 minutes apart). Less intrusive ads would be spaced closer together, and more intrusive (video, for instance) spaced further apart.

albatrosssoup

Hey, I just wanted to "hop" in and say this looks adorable! I love the squash and stretch when the character jumps in particular. This looks like it'll be very readable on mobile too, with how clear-cut and colorful all the graphics are.

Majora64

Hey, I just wanted to "hop" in and say this looks adorable! I love the squash and stretch when the character jumps in particular. This looks like it'll be very readable on mobile too, with how clear-cut and colorful all the graphics are.
The puns are killing me lol! Thank you for your feedback and welcome to Stencyl. I checked out your game too and it looks really fun. Initially it reminded me of a cross between Paper Mario, Kirby's Dream Land, and Yoshi's Wooly world. Keep up the good work! Also, are you the guy developing the game "Albatross"?

albatrosssoup

The puns are killing me lol! Thank you for your feedback and welcome to Stencyl. I checked out your game too and it looks really fun. Initially it reminded me of a cross between Paper Mario, Kirby's Dream Land, and Yoshi's Wooly world. Keep up the good work! Also, are you the guy developing the game "Albatross"?
Thank you! All those games are influences, and that's the exact kind of vibe I'm going for! I've actually never heard of Albatross, despite my username lol

Majora64

Thank you! All those games are influences, and that's the exact kind of vibe I'm going for! I've actually never heard of Albatross, despite my username lol

Well you're on the right track and I will follow development on your game closely. And nvm lol I follow this one dev and he's making a game called Albatross I figured I'd ask. Cheers!

Majora64

Don't Fall in the water! (Notice how the score increments when the cloud begins to fall and when the player collides with the side of the cloud...this is a NO NO!)

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:45:21 am by Majora64 »

merrak

Nice to see the water waves have returned! It's actually pretty neat to look at the old screenshots and see how things have progressed. I'm glad you kept the archive of older versions.

Majora64

Nice to see the water waves have returned! It's actually pretty neat to look at the old screenshots and see how things have progressed. I'm glad you kept the archive of older versions.
The waves are back! Not 100% to my liking but it will have to do. I've reached out to SadiQ to see if he could help refine it but I'm pretty sure he's busy so it's ok. As for progress I'm  for the most part "hoppy" with the current build but I have shifted the game aesthetic so many times which resulted in the game dragging on longer than I had "hopped" which I can't help but feel a little disappointed in. 

I didn't plan this game out the best and it has taught me that I still have so much to learn about time management, follow through/commitment and staying organized. I know we shouldn't compare ourselves to others but when I see some devs on here pushing quality games out (what appears to be) every month or 2 while something small took me almost 2 weeks, it's discouraging lol. Do you have any tips for streamlining development cause I mean I wanted to be done with this game like 3 months ago lol. At this point I just want to be done with the game, but at the same time I still want to give it my all..that and my Stencyl license expires next month so you could say things are getting pretty serious  :D

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:43:01 am by Majora64 »

NickamonPoppytail

As for progress I'm  for the most part hoppy with the current build but I have shifted the game aesthetic so many times which resulted in the game dragging on longer than I had hopped which I can't help but feel a little disappointed in.

Typo or pun?

Anyway, good to see the game is progressing. :D

Majora64

As for progress I'm  for the most part hoppy with the current build but I have shifted the game aesthetic so many times which resulted in the game dragging on longer than I had hopped which I can't help but feel a little disappointed in.
Typo or pun?

You decide ;)

Thank you for checking on in the game, but how's Poppytail coming along? Making some good headway?

Majora64

Originally I wanted a Coverflow like character selection but I'm not sure if there is a way to display actors in a smooth Coverflow way on Stencyl (if it can be done let me know pls). TheIndieStation has an awesome tutorial for a mobile character selection screen so I followed that along and have the basic layout of it working which I think will look pretty cool when finished. I want to have fun with the characters so if there's any you'd like to see I'm taking requests. I was gonna do some of my favorite video game characters (they won't look exactly the same but familiar) and just give them generic names (dunno if that's considered bad dev manners or just fanboy).

I've also taken a liking to the way Apple advertises their colors. Alot of their new backgrounds are these captivating gradients that really play to the phones display and "I like it alot". I'm by no means an illustrator master (in fact I just picked it up for this game but I enjoy the program and am falling in love with vectors) so when I found out it was easy to create complex gradients I was "hoppy". Here's some test ones. The first one is the current background for the game and the 2nd one is me fanboying...

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 01:27:12 am by Majora64 »

NickamonPoppytail

Typo or pun?

You decide ;)

Thank you for checking on in the game, but how's Poppytail coming along? Making some good headway?

I made a whole 16 US cents! :D
In total... A sequel's coming soon, as you can see at the bottom of this post.

Good luck w/ Hoppy Pals! :)

NickamonPoppytail

I'm taking requests. I was gonna do some of my favorite video game characters (they won't look exactly the same but familiar) and just give them generic names (dunno if that's considered bad dev manners or just fanboy).

Could you do a Poppytail? (Or maybe the Easter Bunny as a reskin of the rabbit).

Also, generic names are fine. I can think of at least five successful games that used generic names. Keep in mind one of the highest selling games in the world has the protagonist called "Steve".

NickamonPoppytail

I'm by no means an illustrator master (in fact I just picked it up for this game but I enjoy the program and am falling in love with vectors) so when I found out it was easy to create complex gradients I was "hoppy".

Okay NOW it's a pun. I think that you should make that the game's tagline.